range report (uberti .45 lc and herritage arms .22lg/mag) single actions!!!

Guest oldslowchevy

Guest oldslowchevy

well lets start with the good.

uberti .45 long colt 4.75 barrel leagth. ammo winchester super x grey/silver box 255 gr. round nose target rounds.

i would like to say that the balance on this revolver is about the best i have ever felt. i do not care for the fit on the grips though.

at 15 yards first shot 3/4" left of dead center and i had consisant grouping of 3" or less.

at 40 yards, a tad low but with groupings of 7".

i have to say i am very surprized by this out of the box.

the trigger pull is smooth, not the smoothest but better than average.

i would buy another from them in a minute.

and now the bad....

herritage arms rough rider .22 lr/mag 7.5 barrel, winchester white box .22 lr and mag.

ummmm hummm where to start where to start?

ok the balance is about averge i guess a tad nose heavy but not god awful. fit and finish is fair at best there is 4 differnt shades of the bluing though out the gun. the two cylinders is diffent shades as well. though the grips fit better in my opinon, they are also thicker.

at 15 yards when it would shoot it seems to go right, grouping in lr was 5-6" mag was a tad better though not by much.

at 40 yards when it fired it was a crap shoot on where the bullets went, after loading it 6 times and it shot an amazing 11 times i gave up

i had 4 boxes of ammo for this (3 lr 1 mag) i can say at the very least i am very unimpressed with it. i have not desided what to do it yet. i would hate to sell it for i would not do that to someone unless they was ok with it being this way. i got it on a trade, i now see i got a raw deal but i wont say nothing about it i just will not deal with him again.

if you all have question about either weapon that i may not covered please feel free to ask.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have almost the same 2 weapons, my Uberti is the 5.5" barreled with standard SAA grips and my Heritage doesn't have the magnum cylinder. Both of mine are excellent shooters, I haven't noticed any color variations in the Heritage, I'll have to pull it out for a closer examination (but for the $150 new that I paid for it I wouldn't care). I am looking to get the Uberti 1873 Cattleman with the birds head grip. I have a FIE Little Ranger (.22lr) with the birds head grip and it is by far one of the most comfortable grips on a revolver I've had. I'll have to agree with you when it comes to Uberti's being a little rough out of the box, they could use a little smoothing out. Too bad that the Heritage isn't living up the the expectations you had for it, I guess there can always be a lemon out there.

Guest oldslowchevy

keep in mind i did not buy the herritage new, i receved it on a trade. i have no idea how it was handled before i got it. i did have to clean and lube it. still may need more though. i will not take it to a shop because as you stated it is very inexpensive. i will also look at the firing pin tommarow when i break them down to clean them to see if it is worn or out of ajustment. if there is an ajustment.

I don't have a Uberti, but do have a Heritage, mine is very accurate. I actually shoot it better than either of my Ruger single-sixes. The cylinders are a different shade than the rest of the gun, but it dosen't bother me. Sorry that yours is not guess they are like alot of things some are good and some not so much.

I am not sure about the Roughrider but I know from experience that my Ruger SAS shoots magnums better than LR rounds. The barrel is slightly bigger to accomadte the magnum round so it only makes sense that LR is not going to be as accurate. There probably is not much you can do to that revolver to fix accuracy on .22LR's.

You might try some different ammo for it, maybe get a .40 grain bullet instead of a 36 grain. Might fill the barrel better. Dunno

Guest oldslowchevy

the misfires is what concernd me most, 2 out of six would go bang 4 would not, it did not matter how it was loaded either or waether it was lr or the mag rounds. like i said i will look at the firing pin later today to look for wear and free movment.

Guest oldslowchevy

wht the heck, i just got off the phone with the guy i got the .22 from and he told me that he and his son would dry fire it alot. grrrr, why lord why?

dry firing is probably not helpful. On the Ruger SAS it is claimed that dry firing will not hurt it, i dunno about the Heritage.

okay, so I looked at their website and the owners manual for a ,22 revolver. Dry firing is not good.

DRY FIRE:

Please be sure not to “dry fire” the revolver. If you cock the hammer, pull the trigger when there are no shells in the chamber and the hammer block is not in the “up” position, the hammer will strike the firing pin causing the firing pin to hit the cylinder. When this firing pin hits the cylinder and there is no ammunition in the revolver the cylinder will become damaged, dented and will void the manufacturers warranty.

Anyway here is a link to ordering parts

Small Bore Parts Center - Heritage Manufacturing, Inc

good luck with it. Sucks when a gun does not work right.

Guest oldslowchevy

thank you for the link, i will call and order the firing pin as the one in the gun now does apper to be worn (mushroomed) and that mt be the only problem.