Conceal Carry and Illinois

Guest King703

Guest King703

I am a HCP holder here in TN but am originally from IL, the only state left that does not allow conceal carry. When I travel back to IL for the holidays I am never able to carry my sidearm. Though, the U.S. House of Representatives passed Act H.R. 822. Does this now allow HCP holders such as myself to carry into IL? Does anyone have any opinions or other information about this Act? See website: Illinois Carry - A Website Dedicated To Advancing Conceal Carry For Illinois

Thanks

King703

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don’t think that’s law yet and even when it is, it does not allow you to carry in states that do not have permits.

I do most of my shooting in Illinois and travel with a Suburban full of guns. Sure would be nice to carry there.

Good news though; Illinois is still looking at right to carry. It would be great if they went from one of the only states to totally outlaw carry; to the fifth state to be Right to Carry.

NRA-ILA :: Illinois House Creates Task Force to Explore Possibility of Right-to-Carry Law!

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

That's a big NO. If I'm reading the law correctly, it only works with states that issue carry permits. Until IL gets with the program, no one from other states will be able to legally carry in that worthless state. Also, Obama has yet to have this bill cross his desk for signature or auto-pen, which ever comes first.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Its a step in the right direction, however to many of the lawmakers in the state which carry the most clout are form Chicago. The influence from Chicago will most certainly taint the chances of "Right to Carry" being passed there.

There are two parts to the state of IL, "Chicago" and everything else is considered "Down State".

Guest bkelm18

It is NOT a law yet. It has only passed the House. The Senate has not even considered it yet. Even if by some celestial alignment that it passed the Senate, Obama would almost surely veto it, and if by some even smaller probability that Obama didn't veto it, one of the liberal states would likely file an injunction to get it stopped and take it to the Supreme Court who would ultimately rule it to be unconstitutional.

Edited by bkelm18
It is NOT a law yet. It has only passed the House. The Senate has not even considered it yet. Even if by some celestial alignment that it passed the Senate, Obama would almost surely veto it, and if by some even smaller probability that Obama didn't veto it, one of the liberal states would likely file an injunction to get it stopped and take it to the Supreme Court who would ultimately rule it to be unconstitutional.

Yep....takes the House, Senate and the President to pass a law and this has only been past the House.

Also as other said....even if it did pass, it only makes permits good in other states that issue permits. So since IL does not issue permits, no other states permits would be honored there.

I have to pass through Illinois to get to my son and grandchildren in St. Louis. EDC is in COM Gun safe in trunk with a laminated copy of the Illinois state police brochure (available online) under the safe. If stopped, LEO can read brochure ( not all are trained in handgun transportation laws) and see right then that I am in compliance with illinois law. Don't hold your breath on Illinois going to handgun carry permit. All of the Supreme Court Decisions had to do with gun in home and nothing said about 2d Amendment and right to carry. As it stands right now, according to USSC, Illinois is not in violation of Second Amendment. How we read it isn't what makes it law, what the USSC says does make it law.

I read it to say we are allowed to have our weapon with us wherever we go, but what the USSC says is what would put me in prison if I did carry in Illinois. I might be morally right but not legally right. Morally right and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee!

Edited by wjh2657
I have to pass through Illinois to get to my son and grandchildren in St. Louis. EDC is in COM Gun safe in trunk with a laminated copy of the Illinois state police brochure (available online) under the safe. If stopped, LEO can read brochure ( not all are trained in handgun transportation laws) and see right then that I am in compliance with illinois law. Don't hold your breath on Illinois going to handgun carry permit. All of the Supreme Court Decisions had to do with gun in home and nothing said about 2d Amendment and right to carry. As it stands right now, according to USSC, Illinois is not in violation of Second Amendment. How we read it isn't what makes it law, what the USSC says does make it law.

I read it to say we are allowed to have our weapon with us wherever we go, but what the USSC says is what would put me in prison if I did carry in Illinois. I might be morally right but not legally right. Morally right and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee!

Illinois residents are working hard to get the same carry privileges Tennessee has. Just like Tennessee; no rights are involved. It’s a crime for Tennessee residents to carry guns.

We have plenty of work to do in our own state.... http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/2nd-amendment-issues/46639-thp-out-control.html