Remington UMC .40

Guest sqlightning

Guest sqlightning

WyattEarp and myself went shooting yesterday and were having a few issues with the ammo. I only had 1 failure to feed because of a casing being about 1/16 to long in my G27. Wyatt had several issues with failure to feed in his CZ P07 Duty .40. When we ran Hornady and Speer through them, there were no issues at all. Is this common with the UMC ammo?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gw2and4

I've never had any issues with UMC .40 out of my Glock 23, but if I tried to limpwrist my 19Gen4 with the 0-3 recoil spring assembly in it, I'd get failures to eject with UMC 9mm. I've heard several other shooters at the range say that UMC is a pretty light charge compared to other manufacturers, but I've not yet taken the time to chrono them and document the results. I do think it runs dirtier than Federal, Speer or Winchester...but I clean my guns regularly so that don't much matter to me.

For what it's worth, I just assume buy Federal .40 for $25.96 per 100-round box at Wally's. Have seen it at the Dickson and Cool Springs stores in stock in the last week. However sad it is that we think $13 per box of 50 rounds is a good price. :(

Sent from my iPhone 4

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WyattEarp

I bought a box of 100 rounds of .40 s&w umc from hershmeister awhile back, and thats what I was having trouble with. it wasn't re-loaded, it was brand new ammo, but it gave me nothing but problems when firing, but i kniw its not hershmeisters fault. It would jam up wbout every other round. I ran a full magazine through just by pulling the slide back and forth without firing and it was still jamming up. But when doing my speer hollow points, it didnt do it. Ran some of sqlightnings hornadys through and they went through fine.

Went again on Dec 11th with sqlightning and another member (not sure of screen name) and we ran some winchester white box through it. Seemed to do ok for the most part, but it did jam twice. Once in me and once on rodney (the other guy that went with us).

Im gonna pickup a box of federal after christmas and see what happens. If this continues, im gonna have to take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out.

Kinda surprised with the issues, because the review on cz 75 p-07 duty .40 was flawless on diff kinds of ammo that they fed through it with exception to when they stuck it in murky silted river water and it jammed up. The review is in the handgun section, just go to my profile by clicking my username and click recent threads by wyattearp.

The 9mm cz 75 p-07 duty seemed like it was the one having all the feed and jam issues.

But it could just be that umc .40 s&w is a hair too long.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno about P-07, but CZ75 or CZ85 is just about as omnivorous as one can find in eating any and all 9mm.

I know you know this, but clean and lube it, and pistols sometimes need a break-in period. Not always.

Long ago had got an old Beretta 92 police trade-in that looked worn out and run over by a fleet of trucks, but ate everything and was a tack driver. Then traded it for a new shiny inox 92, which needed several hundred rounds before it shot as good and accurate as the old worn-out police trade-in.

Sometimes ammo that is "a lttle too weak" can cause troubles, maybe more so with a new gun. If the recoil doesn't drive the slide vigorously back, there can be weak extraction and failure to cleanly pick up the next round and stuff it in the chamber. Stovepipes and fed rounds that get stuck "sideways pointed up" between the chamber and slide.

Couple of years ago got a new "spare" Beretta 92 that was real good and didn't seem to need any breakin, but the slide was stiff. Maybe they put slightly stiffer recoil springs in em nowadays. Had been shooting light reloads that cycled all the other pistols, but would stovepipe on the new 92. But it worked fine on Federal practice ammo or self-defense loads. So I increased the powder load in my practice ammo and the problem went away.

Guest WyattEarp
Dunno about P-07, but CZ75 or CZ85 is just about as omnivorous as one can find in eating any and all 9mm.

I know you know this, but clean and lube it, and pistols sometimes need a break-in period. Not always.

Long ago had got an old Beretta 92 police trade-in that looked worn out and run over by a fleet of trucks, but ate everything and was a tack driver. Then traded it for a new shiny inox 92, which needed several hundred rounds before it shot as good and accurate as the old worn-out police trade-in.

Sometimes ammo that is "a lttle too weak" can cause troubles, maybe more so with a new gun. If the recoil doesn't drive the slide vigorously back, there can be weak extraction and failure to cleanly pick up the next round and stuff it in the chamber. Stovepipes and fed rounds that get stuck "sideways pointed up" between the chamber and slide.

Couple of years ago got a new "spare" Beretta 92 that was real good and didn't seem to need any breakin, but the slide was stiff. Maybe they put slightly stiffer recoil springs in em nowadays. Had been shooting light reloads that cycled all the other pistols, but would stovepipe on the new 92. But it worked fine on Federal practice ammo or self-defense loads. So I increased the powder load in my practice ammo and the problem went away.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/54048-cz-75-p-07-duty-40-review.html

interestingly, in the review the gun jammed on the Winchester PDX1 ammo. but the reviewer had success with the Remington UMC .40 S&W. got his best results from the Federal rounds.

it may just still need to be broken in. I've only put maybe 200-225 rounds through it, and it's been cleaned after each use. so, I'll grab a box of Federal after christmas (money permitting) and see what happens. The UMC .40 S&W were 180 grain rounds, but this review is also over a year old now, so maybe something has changed slightly with the manufacturing process?