Cleaning kit broke, and cleaning

Hello,

The bore rod from my chinsey Winchester/Walmart cleaning kit broke this evening, prompting this question.

It broke while cleaning the Mosin Nagant, pushing a patch (perhaps a little too hard). I then cleaned the Mosin as well as I could by pushing a handful of patches with another metal rod. This is the gun I was cheifly worried about since it's the old corrosive ammo.

I also shot 25 rds in the 870 12 gauge and about 400 rounds of cheap Federal .22 in the remington 597. Neither of these did I get to clean before the rod broke. With the holidays, unless I can get another kit at Wal-Mart early in the morning, it'll be at least a few days before I can clean them. Will there be any negative consequences? I didn't think it would be a big deal, but the Hoppe's article I read (biased?) said after a least a dozen rounds in a day you should clean the gun.

I'd rather find a better cleaning kit than the Walmart one if it can wait about a week to clean them. Will the shotgun and the 597 be ok? I may try to clean the mosin again just to be safe. If there's a chance of damage to any of them, I'll go buy a cleaning kit in the morning.

Any recommendations on a good kit if I was to order one or check out a store like Gander Mtn or Dicks?

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy a bore snake for all of them and be done with patches and rods and all that crap.

They will all be fine. If pitting and rusting occured within a few days, most of my guns would be nothing more than little piles of rust scattered around.

Thanks guys. I'll let them sit. Gues I'll buy the bore snakes at the gun shop next week or check online prices. Wish I hadn't spent the money on the cheap kit to begin with, but it's a "lesson learned" I guess. I'd take it back to walmart if I didn't figure it was my fault for pushing too hard...

Does the bore-snake clean in all the rifling grooves just as well, i.e. fully replaces being able to work the brush in there with a rod? That is what the Hoppe's article claimed, but I didn't know how much they were just pumping up their product :-)

The OP ain't the only one that breaks cheesey rods. :P The Tipton rod is great.

I chewed through a few cheap sets, can't remember the brand of the one I have now but it is carbon/fiberglass composit.

what can I say high tech cleaning...low tech reloading...but hey they get the job done reliably.:)

I watch guys in the Balkans and Africa use a boot lace to clean their AK's. The secret with the corrosive ammo is using water to kill the salts from the corrosive primers. Hit the barrel anf the face of the bolt then clean as normal. A bore smake works well but you need a one piece rod too for real deep cleaning.

I watch guys in the Balkans and Africa use a boot lace to clean their AK's.

And an exceedingly simple and easy to make home version of a bore snake can be made with heavy (15-20 pound test) nylon fishing line (or a boot lace) with a cleaning rag tied on one end. Tie a bobby pin or straightened out paper clip on the other end to facilitate feeding the line through the bore. Keep your solvent patch tight and follow up with an oiled patch and you'll be just fine (in a pinch, you can also tie a bore brush on the line for deeper cleaning of the rifling).

...TS...

I have broke them rods before, no big deal. Buy another one then you have spare pieces.

I just use bore snakes now, not sure how they are not doing the job. I find the key to cleaning is to run a CLP soaked bore snake through the barrel then let it sit for a while and give the chemical a chance to do its thing.

And even though you feel it was your fault the rod broke, Walmart ain't gonna care. Take it back.

I may or may not skip cleaning on my regular firearms for a week or two at the range.

My Mosin I would clean, as it is the only thing that I shoot corrosive ammo through. To be honest though, I have skipped it a time or two as well, and it didn't have any damage.

I have a pair of Heritage Rough Riders that I shoot a brick through every time I go to the range, I don't think I have cleaned either of them in a month. I think I have put a good 1000 rounds through my Glock since I last cleaned it too.

I find that cleaning my guns is good for relaxation. As I normally go to the range on Sundays, it is a nice finish to my weekend to sit and and clean my guns while watching my TV shows. Nothing like a zombie show and a western to get you into the gun cleaning mood.

I would on the fast centerfire rifles, ay least.

if I strip the Garand or other milsurps I will use a brass rod to push patches through the barrel. I am not sure how many rounds I go between before doing this. Generally I just run a bore snake down centerfire rifles and call it a day. But when I figure they need greasing and a good cleaning I will get with it using a rod.