Range Review: CZ 75 P-07 Duty .40

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

I took my CZ 75 P-07 Duty .40 out to On Target back in October with TGO member sqlightning (Bill S.). Put 50 rounds through it. I guess I may have been a bit nervous or overly excited because I had a real issue with jerking the trigger too much and I was anticipating the shot for some reason, my breathing was all out of whack and I really couldn't seem to focus on what I was doing. Somehow I think I just maybe overhyped myself, I didn't shoot terrible, but not great either. most of my shots hit inside the outer perimeter of the circle on the target, some missed completely.

I did have pics at one point, but my external hard drive crashed, and I lost the pics, even despite data recovery software.

Anyhow, went out to the OK Corral Gun Range in Woodbury with sqlighting (Bill S.) today and I ran 100 rounds through it. Today was much better than back in October, I was relaxed, focused, and squeezing the trigger while exhaling my breath, shots were pretty good, and I got some wicked video and photos of Bill, myself and a few other guys that weren't with us that were sighting in some big boy rifles (Winchester .300 with a big ass scope!).

Overall, the CZ performed very well. It's got some power to it, definitely enough to stop a bad guy and put him down, but the recoil isn't unmanageable, just takes a little getting used to. It fires smoothly, I love the ergonomic feel of it in my hands, it's easy to hold, comfortable, fits to your hand, easy to control when firing, and seems pretty accurate for the most part.

I did have a repetitve malfunction with Remington UMC .40 S&W 180 grain FMJ rounds feeding from the magazine into the chamber. They seemed to get stuck when being fed from the magazine into the loader and then into the chamber. Bill and I compared it to the Hornady .40 S&W rounds he had, and the Remington rounds appeared a little longer. I compared them with the Speer 165 gr hollow points I had and the Remington rounds were differently sized too.

Bill didn't seem to have any issues with running the Remington .40 S&W through his Glock, so I chalk it up to the CZ still being fairly new and needing to still be broken in. I will give it a nice fresh cleaning and oil it, and try some Winchester white box .40 S&W rounds next time and see if the issues persists or goes away.

Between On Target and OK Corral, there's only about a 150 rounds that's been put through it, so it just may need some more breaking in to smooth it out a bit. The slide is kind of choppy when you pull it back to chamber a round and let it slide forward. I'll see how the cleaning and adding oil does for it and the different rounds.

Out of curiosity, I loaded a magazine full of my 165 gr Speer Hollow points, and chambered and ejected several rounds with zero issues. I didn't fire any of my hollow points today, as I need to grab another box, and need to keep my magazine full of HP's when I'm carrying.

Overall, I love it, and I can't find much to complain about, and I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. Get the feed issue resolved, we'll be good to go, but I have a feeling it just doesn't like the Remington UMC .40 S&W ammo.

Might be a week or two on the pictures and video, as I'm finishing up several projects for my classes at MTSU, and they have priority right now, but I'll edit the video and add some music and effects. 2 of the pictures were awesome as I froze the bullet coming out of the gun as Bill fired.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P07 is a nice piece ergonomically. I hope they worked the kinks out of the 9mm version and applied what they learned to the .40, because the 9mm I had was too unreliable to do anything but play with. I mean, how the hell does the entire trigger system rely on plastic guides in the receiver that like to just fall out of the gun? Had to send it back 2x and then sold it when they got it working halfway decent again.

Guest WyattEarp
P07 is a nice piece ergonomically. I hope they worked the kinks out of the 9mm version and applied what they learned to the .40, because the 9mm I had was too unreliable to do anything but play with. I mean, how the hell does the entire trigger system rely on plastic guides in the receiver that like to just fall out of the gun? Had to send it back 2x and then sold it when they got it working halfway decent again.

the .40 doesn't have the issues the 9mm did, but from what I understand, the most recent releases of the 9mm have resolved all the prior issues the first release had. I gave it a good cleaning yesterday, broke it down, and used a cleaning kit, and got all the gunpowder residue and dirt out, oil it, wiped everything down, and put it back together. See what it does and how it performs the next time out.