Are your Hunting dogs a cherished investment?

Guest pfries

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that this owner may not be the one that abused the dog. Hunting hounds are often sold many times. I can't believe the guy doesn't want the collar back, even if he truly doesn't want the dog.

I have not accused him of such though I have alluded to it. I pass no judgment at this point but the lack of contact on his part is disturbing. I have never owned dog’s for the explicit purpose of hunting so mine have always been part of the family. If one went missing, I would not only be distraught but hounded by my family to see to its safe return. I have put the ball in his court, called gave him my name cell # and address although I was a bit reluctant with the latter. So how long do I need to give a man the benefit of the doubt?

.... She is got a great temperament and the kids have been enjoying her, however a short while ago my youngest picked up a stick (he is three) he did not come at her in any way but she ran (tail low), kind of alludes to things..../QUOTE]

One of my bluetick hounds was stolen out of my truck several years ago. The collar with her identification and rabies tag was thrown in the back of the truck, but her microchip allowed her to be identified & returned a few weeks later. After her return, her behavior had become similar to that you described. In the obedience training she received, striking a dog wasn't permitted. Some of the hunters I've known used punishment instead of rewards when training.

The owner must have decided the dog isn't a good hunting dog and has no concern for its return.

Edited by tnhawk

OK it is time for an update since I have calmed down a bit.

I called the man on 11/24 in what I would consider early afternoon (right about 11:00)

I GOT ATTITUDE what the F***, this was not a couple of hours; I am not his dog sitter. His comment “I told you to tie her up and I would be over to get her” WTF??????.

He shows up about an hour and a half later and I still do not want to go into details about that.

All I can Say is I regret contacting the guy, I feel sorry for the Dog and the family is now on alert for this AS* HOLE.

I am so glad most of the encounters of this nature do not normaly go this way for me.

Sorry to hear it went this way "especially for the dog" but it sounds like this was no win situation for you trying to do the right thing. It 's ashame that their are people like this out there. I know you barely gave any details but I have pretty good idea I know the owners type.