Price this gun?

Smith

Need some help Colt guys! So customer comes in and wants to know the value on an original Colt 1967 m-16 9mm. I have no idea on this one This is not an NFA registered full auto reciever. The upper, lower, bolt, fixed buttstock, buffer/tube, are all original. How much are these things going for?

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If the lower is not registered your customer is in some serious trouble. The lower is a FA/MG receiver because it has the pin for the FA parts. Even if the parts are not installed the simple fact it has the hole drilled for the pin makes it a machine gun. And without registration the customer is in violation of federal law.

If it wasn't registered before 1986 there is no way to register it now.

If you are just asking about the just the upper then I will say this. The upper receiver is worth pretty much what any 9mm upper is worth, actually probably less. It is missing the rear sight and the front mounting hole seems askew. For this reason I would be concerned about buying it to use the upper on another lower.

A lot of these were fitted to their lowers and swapping them to another brand might cause fitment issues. I have seen several early uppers that would not fit on a standard lower of today because of variations in manufacturing back then. Another concern I would have is whether the flash hider is pinned for use on a rifle. I suspect it isn't which would make that upper a NFA item on a rifle receiver. It would be fine on a pistol lower but not a rifle lower.

Actually the upper looks like a 5.56 upper that is missing part of the gas tube. The bolt/carrier is a 5.56 carrier, not a 9mm carrier. I have never seen a 9mm bolt with forward assist serrations. I have also never seen a 9mm bolt that you could not see the extractor in the cutout for the dust cover. It has the gas ports in the side liek a 5.56 carrier. If this is indeed a 9mm bolt I would like to see it out of the upper.

Personally I would not touch the gun or upper with a ten foot pole.

Dolomite

Ok. So the original upper has the issues. First it is missing the gas tube, no big deal. Second is the front mounting hole that is obviously fitted to the Colt lower, really big deal. And finally missing the rear sight, again no big deal.

As far as the 9mm upper I would say a used 9mm upper is probably worth in the $400 range if it shoots. That is for a barebones upper with the charging handle and bolt and maybe one mag. Price can increase depending on what kind of sight that is on the back and what kind of front sight there is. Might get a little more if it has the FA carrier but only to someone who has a FA lower.

Hope it helps but I would say $400 and up depending on what was included. You can buy complete uppers NEW for $499.

Dolomite