HAM? TURKEY?, OR?

VERO1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey. My wifes Turkey kicks ass. I've never been a huge fan of Turkey, I'd eat it, but it didn't get me excited. Then came fried turkey, that stuff is great, like it a lot, my wife found a receipie, Alton Browns, and did it last year, involves a brien of some sort, soaked for a day. Oh man it is good, juicy and full of flavor.

Since its just husband and I.. we decided to order a smoked Turkey from Buddy`s BBQ.We love their ribs so we thought we would try the Turkey.

You've hit the jackpot. I know the guy thats over all the smoking we've got our name in the hat for his smoked primed rib for Christmas if they do any this year. I don't think they offer this on a regular basis tho'

NEVER have I had anything this good, unbelievable ! :yum:

Edited by laktrash
I am poor. We are having hot dogs.

Okay i am cooking a turkey on the grill, warden is making whatever it is she makes

There's "probably" turkey in them dogs somewhere....can't say which part though.

Turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas has always been the tradition in my family. Before last year it was the same overcooked, dry, baked turkey, but my wife found a new recipe and took over the turkey from her mom and man it is great. It was the best turkey I have ever had including deep fried ones. You have a special mixture you baste it with that is made from white wine and butter and some seasoning and you have to cover it with cheese cloth she got the recipe from like Martha Stewart I think anyways here's a pic

l.jpg

Happy turkey day

Usually both for both holidays. Maybe just turkey

for Thanksgiving this time. I haven't heard ham

mentioned yet, but I am frying three this time.

I'm tired of not having leftovers when my son

goes back to Knoxville, so he gets his very own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I smoked two turkeys on Saturday night for a big gathering. I'll do another one on Thursday.

All this turkey has me wanting some ham, though. Christmas is coming, I guess.

I'm looking for some advice about smoking turkey. I am going to do a bone in breast. I planned to use apple or pecan wood, or maybe a combo of the two. I also planned on injecting it and putting some cajun rub on it. About how long per pound does it take to cook? I've heard just until it gets to 160 in the thickest part. Also what temp do you smoke at? Some say 200-220, others say 325 for a crispy skin.

We are doing another whole turkey in one of the "oil less" turkey friers too. And I'm sure someone will bring ham, they always do.

We are eating a turkey we raised. I will inject him with creole butter, rub him down with cajun seasoning and then fry him. Did the same thing last year and I could really taste the difference in the one we raised. Best turkey I have ever had.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm looking for some advice about smoking turkey. I am going to do a bone in breast. I planned to use apple or pecan wood, or maybe a combo of the two. I also planned on injecting it and putting some cajun rub on it. About how long per pound does it take to cook? I've heard just until it gets to 160 in the thickest part. Also what temp do you smoke at? Some say 200-220, others say 325 for a crispy skin.

We are doing another whole turkey in one of the "oil less" turkey friers too. And I'm sure someone will bring ham, they always do.

I just smoked a bone-in turkey breast. I'll estimate about 1 hr per pound, though obviously that depends on the temp. The one I cooked was about 5lbs and it a took about 4.5 hrs. Mostly I just use the meat thermometer to determine when it's done. I pulled it off the smoker at about 160 deg and let it rest for at least an hour before I cut it up. Don't over-cook it, it dries out fast.

Inject the crap out of it. You can't really do too much. The flavor doesn't seem to permeate through turkey. I also halved an apple and wedged it in there.

I use a cheap-o charcoal smoker which works great with a few minor modifications. I have little control over the temp, though it's been fairly consistent in the 200-250 range. I've used all kinds of wood (hickory, mesquite, cherry, pecan, apple... ) and can't tell any difference in taste of the meat, though it's usually seasoned. The difference is in how fast it burns up. Dad is a wood turner and so I get fist-sized hunks rather than small chips. The pecan seems to last the longest and thus requires the least attention, which is nice. I also use a 50/50 mix of cheap beer and water in the water pan. I've tried juices and various other things and again, really can't tell much difference in taste.

Edited by peejman