2011 Rifle Season: Harvesting

Ok, we know by now what pretty much everybody is carring into the woods this season by Iggybcool's thread. We also know that WD's daughter got a doe. Who else has harvested anything so far, I know around here Saturday was very windy, and Sunday was rainy, but have you had any luck?

Myself, I sat in my stand Sat. from 5:50 til 8:15 and didn't see anything except for two woodpeckers. I was pretty disappointed, and was thinking man I should have chose a different stand. Wind was blooowing like crazy then about 8:20 this pretty decent little buck comes bouncing through from behind me.He comes by on the right side about 20 yds. away, but he never checks up, I hit the grount a couple of times but he never stops. I'm watching and hoping for a shot then on my left about 20 yds. here are two young does just meandering along slowly. I am watching and I thought shoot one of them with the SBH, so I easy out the .41 mag. and boom shot her right in the neck. My first with this BH.

Sorry no pic. only took one with crappy cell phone, we took and checked it in brought it back skinned and quartered it, broke out a pot and now a big part of her is a stew. Thats my story, anybody else have any luck.

On a side note I watched a good friend make a about a 200 yd. shot on a little 4 pointer with believe it or not a 30-30.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks WD stew was great. Yeah, its fun to shoot them with the hand cannons and watch the expression on the faces of some people. Thats my second one with a hand gun, Thanksgiving two yrs. ago I got one with my SBH 44.

We made about 10 gallons, not sure how much meat we put in it but it was alllot. let' see 5 of the large cans of mixed veggys, a dozen tomatoes, 6 onions, couple cans of blackeyed peas all that I had, two cans of northern beans, three cans of green beans, two cans of tomato soup, one can of sweet peas, and of course salt and pepper. cooked for about 24 hrs. over an open fire.

Guest GunTroll

Up in MO I thought about going for a state record with killing squirrels. Seriously considering a Ruger MKIII or similar suppressed for just such occasions. I'm about 50% committed at this point to doing just such a thing. Raccoons, possums will also be dying. I literally pull neck muscles trying to rotate my head to and fro attempting to catch a peak at a deer just to find a damn possum trotting through instead. Squirrels are easy to distinguish with their erratic leave crunching, but annoying the same.

No deer for me...yet. Going to Macon Co. to weed out some dinks very soon. And hopefully fill my doe limit for the day as well and then be done for this year and have meat stowed away.

Already dreaming of 2012 large game and the end of this years large game so that the pred hunt can begin!!!

Hopefully all that wasn't too negative :koolaid: .

Guest GunTroll

I got a 'trophy' squirrel hanging in my back yard these days. I'm giving him a pass since he is the only one I have. Real old guy too. Fox squirrel with a white/grey face so I guess that means he is old. I like him so he stays.