Rock Island Armory Officers Model 45 ACP

Ok guys I have a Rock Island Officer Model 45 ACP. The round count is somewhere around 500. The pistol has had issues since I bought it. The following are the issues that I'm having.

Ball Ammo

Failure to feed - the cartridge will feed almost completly into the chamber but apparently it's getting in front of the ejector as it feeds you have to bump the slide to make it completly close on the round.

Some Personal Protection rounds

The rounds will hang in the magazine as the slide contacts the rear of the round impacting the frame feed ramp.

The pistol has been in the shop a couple times and is going back in today. So far the following has been done to the pistol.

1. The bevel on the chamber has been opened up (not sure if this is the right terminology).

2. The feed ramp has been polished.

I have run numerous different brands of ammo through it and its consistent on the failure to feed with anything that I put in it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys I have a Rock Island Officer Model 45 ACP. The round count is somewhere around 500. The pistol has had issues since I bought it. The following are the issues that I'm having.

Ball Ammo

Failure to feed - the cartridge will feed almost completly into the chamber but apparently it's getting in front of the ejector as it feeds you have to bump the slide to make it completly close on the round.

The rounds will hang in the magazine as the slide contacts the rear of the round impacting the frame feed ramp.

I had a similar problem with mine failing to return to battery by about 1/4" or so. The extractor was too tight from the factory. Adjusted it a bit and it solved that problem.

Mine doesn't feed some JHP properly with the factory mag. Swapping for a Wilson Combat mag solved the problem for me.

Ball Ammo

The pistol has been in the shop a couple times and is going back in today. So far the following has been done to the pistol.

1. The bevel on the chamber has been opened up (not sure if this is the right terminology).

2. The feed ramp has been polished.

I have run numerous different brands of ammo through it and its consistent on the failure to feed with anything that I put in it.

Just a thought as I dont have any personal experience on this but have you tried flushing the extractor? My Commander started having this problem and\or a FTE but after a copious amout of Break Free's Powder Blaster no more problem!

My gi model had similar issues when it was new.

I fuxed with the extractor and learned to use grease not oil for lubing. Problem solved. I really believe grease was the savior.

And it run now no matter what mag i use. I prefer ten dollar 7 rounds mags

It sounds like the extractor is causing the ball issues. It may need to be tuned or perhaps the nose is not contoured correctly. It should not be square on the front. It could be out of spec as well. Personally a $20 extractor is insurance well spent. I would be willing to bet a quality extractor is going to fix the issue.

I would also buy a new firing pin stop as well. Sometime the firing pin stoip and extractor do not fit well. This can cause the extractor to clock and that can lead to problems you have described. The biggest indication that the extraactor is being clocked it erratic placement of the empty cases on the ground. If you are getting them at your feet, 5 feet away and every where in between then the extractor and firing pin stop are not fitted correctly.

The cost of a new firing pin stop and an extractor is probably less than $40 for a brand name one. I have always had great luck with Ed Brown products. I will say whatever brand you buy make sure both are from the same maker.

1911 AUTO FIRING PIN STOP - Brownells

1911 AUTO MATCH EXTRACTOR - Brownells

Buy these and never look back.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ravenhawk57

If you go on the CAST BOOLITIS site and do a search on feeding problems that are to the 1911 model 45 you will get an eye opener and a lesson on clips that are associated with those problems and the whys and wherefores are spoken about. It is worth reading.