When did the 1911...

Steelharp

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When a company in the Phillilipines began selling 1911's for $4-$500, people bought them and it turned out that they don't suck.

I'm sure for the Serious 1911 Aficionado they're not good enough, but for me a 1911 is a fun toy. I carry my S&W 649 or my Kahr PM9. If I was going to reach for a handgun in my house (other than the two previously mentioned) I'd either grab my Ruger GP100 or my XD45. But then I'd probably just go for the 12ga. My RIA 1911 is purely a fun range toy and would get sold early on if I needed to downsize.

Guest hawkeye10
When a company in the Phillilipines began selling 1911's for $4-$500, people bought them and it turned out that they don't suck.

I'm sure for the Serious 1911 Aficionado they're not good enough, but for me a 1911 is a fun toy. I carry my S&W 649 or my Kahr PM9. If I was going to reach for a handgun in my house (other than the two previously mentioned) I'd either grab my Ruger GP100 or my XD45. But then I'd probably just go for the 12ga. My RIA 1911 is purely a fun range toy and would get sold early on if I needed to downsize.

I think if you shot a tuned 1911 for a while you would think better of them. One with a good trigger and good sights is a joy to shoot. Don

I think if you shot a tuned 1911 for a while you would think better of them. One with a good trigger and good sights is a joy to shoot. Don

Well, I did replace the sights on my RIA Tactical with a set of Novak-style 3-dot sights. I may one day put it in with a gunsmith for a trigger job, but it's not a high priority.

Guest bkelm18

Unless it's a custom made 1911, you're really not getting much more than a better finish and a name brand if you pay more $$$. RIA's are excellent 1911s for the money.

Mine was made in canada, I think. I would guess cheap labor is an issue for RIA. I have shot dozens of them, mostly back when I was looking for my own and borrowing from friends, and I honestly cannot tell one from another for the mass produced mid range guns, and that includes RIA and armscore(?) or whatever their other brand is called. The tuned ones are better, yes, but you can tune a RIA same as anything else. Probably will not get slide/frame to within a nanometer's fit but a bushing and a trigger job with a match barrel will turn any make/model into a very fine gun, even the cheapest.

Very hard to fault the quality of the Argentine 1911's. Built on Colt machinery, by Colt trained techs. I have a number of 1911's. My two favorites for carry are an argentine Sistema, and a philipine gun built for Cimarron. Both are reliable, accurate, and darn good looking.

Guest dubaholic2

ive gotta say my american classic II, which is imported my metroarms is a helluva lot better shooting gun than my buddies kimber tactical II. i have shot both quite a bit and mine puts his to shame.

Very hard to fault the quality of the Argentine 1911's. Built on Colt machinery, by Colt trained techs. I have a number of 1911's. My two favorites for carry are an argentine Sistema, and a philipine gun built for Cimarron. Both are reliable, accurate, and darn good looking.

Yep, In a lot of ways the Filipino guns are more of a true 1911 than any gun built in the US outside of the Colt factory. They can actually claim they are NOT clones! :hiding:

I like the irony of Phillipine made 1911s. Considering that the main reason the gun was called for was that the Army .38 revolvers couldn't consistently drop a drugged-up raging Moro during our war with them. Between the irony and the price, I had to get one. I love it.

My friend's wife loves the fact that it was made a few miles from where she grew up.

Like Spool said, when Colt left the Philippines, they left all their machines.

They use more MIM parts then the American branded 1911. I think they may even be a lower quality MIM parts than in the US models.

This opinion is based on my experience with a failed barrel bushing though I have no other issues.

I also assume lower labor and mfg'ing expenseu

I have a Metro Arms American ClassicCommander-style, and have been super pleased with it.

Dolomite has a full size Metro American Classic and I believe he has replaced the factory MIM parts with high quality brand name stuff.