Carrying in Tennessee ...

Guest 91w20

Guest 91w20

Hey there!

I have a concealed carry permit from KY and will be spending a week in Tennessee in April. Is there anything I might need to be aware of if I plan on carrying while visiting the Volunteer State?

Thanks!

Edited by 91w20
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are basically 5 places you can't carry in TN

Places that serve alcohol for onsite consumption

Rooms where a judicial proceeding is taking place

Schools (Can have in car)

Government owned parks, civic center and recreational facilities

..and place with a proper sign posted that references T.C.A. 39-17-1359

Open carry is legal w/ a permit.

Public parks are probably off-limits, for some reason I can't fathom. Also included are courtrooms, school grounds (with several exceptions), places that sell alcohol or beer for on-site consumption, places properly posted, most federal properties, places 'inhabited' by big game, and while training bird and coon dogs.

As you can see, we still have some work ahead of us. First we have to unseat the Speaker of the House.

sounds pretty much the same as the Bluegrass State

Not even close --------- In Tennessee, a store owner can effectively "write the law" by putting up a sign that dis-allows firearms. This sign carries the legal force to get anyone that doesn't comply in legal hot water and even loose your license.

In many other states, the sign has no authority to do this but if a person is caught and refuses to leave, then and only then can a disturbance of the peace, trespassing or some similar charge can be levied.

This seems to be a much lesser issue than others like restaurant carry or park carry but to me it is one of the most annoying. I can't count the times I have been out and about and had to go back to the vehicle to stash my firearm because of the sign and I don't buy the argument, "just take your business elsewhere". Sometimes that is extremely impractical.

Restaurant and park carry is a fight that keeps getting lost due to just one man in the House of Reps. It is a shame that just one person can be granted the power to do something like that when the majority of the state legislators have given it the green light. Jimmy has to go.

I would love for our laws to be the same as Ky.

Mousegun.....the weight of law given to posted signs bothers me too, but as mention in that it is so hard (impossible) to get park, restaurant and other bills that were shot down last week passed, I don't see anything changing on this either until the king is dethroned.