Runners create traffic jam

daddyo

Yesterday I was driving my wife and two of her friends to a craft fair at one of the local high schools. I was traveling west on Hwy 96 towards I-65 (which is a 4-lane road), when we saw blue lights down the road and a big ol' traffic jam.

Franklin City Police were diverting traffic down to one lane, and I guessed that there was an accident of some kind, which is VERY rare on that stretch of road. But as we got closer, I could see that there were people running on the shoulder of the road against traffic. "Ah", I thought to myself, "they have traffic down to one lane so these runners won't get hit". But the shoulder is wide enough for about ten people to run abreast of each other, even though the majority of them were running single file or two abreast.

Now firmly caught in the grip of traffic, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that it was backed all the way up the hill as far as I could see (about 500 yards or so) around the curve. What made it even worse was that there was a cop sitting at an intersection ahead of us who could have directed traffic on through to make it flow better, but he was just sitting there watching the runners, as the vast majority of them were FEMALE.

I have two questions for anyone who understands these things better than I:

1. Why was it necessary to close the right hand lane when there was more than enough room for these folks to run without being hit? People walk and run on that part of the shoulder all the time.

2. Is there a reason the LEO at the intersection couldn't direct traffic to get it going again (other than the fact that he was obviously more interested in girl-watching than actually doing some work)?

We sat in traffic for about 20 minutes, which isn't that long in the big scheme of things, but it's more than aggravating when you have somewhere to be. If someone had had a medical emergency, they would have been in a world of hurt as the medical center was on the other side of where the PD had the road blocked off.

It just seems to me that the whole thing was unnecessary and could've been handled much better.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two questions for anyone who understands these things better than I:

1. Why was it necessary to close the right hand lane when there was more than enough room for these folks to run without being hit? People walk and run on that part of the shoulder all the time.

2. Is there a reason the LEO at the intersection couldn't direct traffic to get traffic going again (other than the fact that he was obviously more interested in girl-watching than actually doing some work)?

We sat in traffic for about 20 minutes, which isn't that long in the big scheme of things, but it's more than aggravating when you have somewhere to be. If someone had had a medical emergency, they would have been in a world of hurt as the medical center was on the other side of where the PD had the road blocked off.

It just seems to me that the whole thing was unnecessary and could've been handled much better.

People are no longer responsible for themselves - remember when YOU, as a pedestrian, had to look both ways before crossing the street? Nowadays, YOU have to "STOP for pedestrians." By closing off more of the roadway than was actually necessary, the local P.D. was just insuring that none of the runners would die from terminal stupidity.

2. Is there a reason the LEO at the intersection couldn't direct traffic to get traffic going again (other than the fact that he was obviously more interested in girl-watching than actually doing some work)?

Come on, DaddyO, you already know the answer to that: Of course not. In fact, I suspect that his orders were something along the lines of "Provide traffic control." Which is exactly what he was doing, controlling traffic. It shouldn't have to be noted that "Provide traffic control" does not necessarily equate to "assist in maintaining safe traffic flow" and was not interpreted as such by the officer. (Might be he was even grumbling about having to pull a Saturday shift until he found out that all he really had to do was park with his lights on and watch the ladies run by.)

Just my :up:.

...TS...

1) they closed the lane for runners safety. Even with a wide shoulder most road runs will close a lane. It just helps prevent that 'one tragic accident' that would plague any event. I'd assume this was some charity driven event as most are.

2)I have no idea. I'd have to speculate that he was told to close the intersection. I can't imagine he'd stop the flow of traffic out of laziness. I could be wrong but doesn't seem plausible. Again I'd say this had to do with runners safety.

I know you were delayed and that can be frustrating, but these road runs(races) are a great thing. The help raise money and awareness for charities plus it helps people get motivated to be healthy and exercise. Id trade 20min of my Saturday for a healthier more generous America. just some facts mixed with a lot of opinion here.

I get the whole charity thing as I donate to a couple myself. What I don't understand is why these events seem to be scheduled in a way that has a major impact on the regular daily flow of society. There was no way for me to know that this was going on until I and many others were stuck right in the middle of it. If you have to be somewhere, it's more than irritating.

About twice a year the city of Oak Ridge holds (or sponsers) some kind of bicycle race that the route crosses the end of my road. They close off the end of my street and I can not pass through. What really irritates me is they put the "road closed ahead" sign higher up the road from me so I don't see it, and there is no warning ahead of time. The only way to get out of my neighborhood is to go waaay out of the way.

It makes no sense to me to put it here. I can think of a dozen better places. The mall parking lot for one. The mall is closed, and nobody is in the lot. It would be perfectly safe and nobody (me particulary) would be inconvenienced.

I do believe we as taxpayers pay to build dedicated places to run. School tracks come to mind and many areas have hiking, jogging trails. Public highways and pedestrians,,,no.

The runners pay the same tax as you. The event lasts a couple hours maximum. Usually starting at 8 am on a Saturday when traffic is the lightest.

It's obviously going to cause an inconvenience for some people, but they really are scheduled to minimize the local traffic impact. And at most will only have a few a year, and the locations will rotate around.

I am guessing it was a scheduled event, publicized in the news, both print and over the air.

Races file paperwork, get permits and approval.

Not much to really complain about.

+1000

Some people just like to complain. Personally, I can respect about any outdoor activity that someone wants to participate in. Closing my favorite mountain bike trails for a trail running race for a few hours on a Saturday morning? Ok by me. Close the park for an entire weekend for a deer hunting? Thanks hunters, I'm tired of bambi being in my way...

Edited by JReedEsq
About twice a year the city of Oak Ridge holds (or sponsers) some kind of bicycle race that the route crosses the end of my road. They close off the end of my street and I can not pass through. What really irritates me is they put the "road closed ahead" sign higher up the road from me so I don't see it, and there is no warning ahead of time. The only way to get out of my neighborhood is to go waaay out of the way.

It makes no sense to me to put it here. I can think of a dozen better places. The mall parking lot for one. The mall is closed, and nobody is in the lot. It would be perfectly safe and nobody (me particulary) would be inconvenienced.

You must be close to me. I have the same problem. That, and the track team in the afternoons practicing, not looking when they get to an intersection.

I take Madison from Michigan, through the MMC lot, west exit onto W. TN.

Edited by bubbiesdad

I have participated in 5Ks, half marathons, and even a 198 mile endurance race. They are always more fun to run on the road than around a mall. I think races happen a few times a year in Franklin. The frustrating thing for me is closing downtown 6-8 times a year for all the festivals that last an entire weekend.

I didn't run in this race or volunteer as a course monitor, so I don't know the particulars, but I can expand on the answers given so far. In order to leave one lane open, cones would have been necessary for the entire stretch of road. That's prohibitively expensive for the organizer and an extra level of liability should someone be injured.

Far more important, some drivers would have ignored the warnings to slow down and would blasted through the open lane at 60mph. I've been in 196-mile-long race from Chattanooga to Nashville where stopping the traffic simply wasn't possible and there's always some crazy gay/gal who comes blasting through at dangerous speeds even when course monitors try to get them to slow down. I had a car come by me at 60mph so close I could have touched the mirror... scared the heck out of me. It's just safer to stop the traffic.

There are other reasons to stop the traffic. Some drivers would want to make a right turn along the stretch and would do so in front of runners. It's impossible to station a monitor at every driveway along the course. Runners aren't expecting cars on the course and can make a sudden move to the side outside the cones. I have done this myself in a race and seen it done.

Sorry you were inconvenienced. My training partner probably won the women's 50-54 age group. A decade ago, the delay would have only been 5 minutes because everyone in the race were runners. Today, the majority of "running" events are actually walkers, so the roads have to be closed much longer after the runners go by to allow the walkers to get by.

The money typically goes to a good cause, so at least there is that as consolation.

Sorry, but my complaint is not against runners in general. My complaint is the timing/location of the event. A major thoroughfare is NOT the place to schedule something that ties up traffic for ANY amount of time.

Edited by DaddyO

Far more important, some drivers would have ignored the warnings to slow down and would blasted through the open lane at 60mph. I've been in 196-mile-long race from Chattanooga to Nashville where stopping the traffic simply wasn't possible and there's always some crazy gay/gal who comes blasting through at dangerous speeds even when course monitors try to get them to slow down. I had a car come by me at 60mph so close I could have touched the mirror... scared the heck out of me. It's just safer to stop the traffic.

+1

Pissed off drivers being funneled through one lane next to a bunch of runners who are perceived as causing the delay is a recipe for disaster.

I do sometimes wonder about 5Ks that use residential streets as race courses. I've never heard homeowners complain about them, but I'm sure someone's arse gets chapped about it now and then. I hope a 5K is never scheduled on my street.

As for the ill-timed scheduling of the event, would Friday morning at 7:30 or Monday afternoon at 5:15 have been better?

IFar more important, some drivers would have ignored the warnings to slow down and would blasted through the open lane at 60mph. I've been in 196-mile-long race from Chattanooga to Nashville where stopping the traffic simply wasn't possible and there's always some crazy gay/gal who comes blasting through at dangerous speeds even when course monitors try to get them to slow down.

I always make sure to slow down for runners. Much like the officer in the story, I am easily distracted by pony tails on hot jogging chicks, and make sure to slow down extend my time to take in as much of the scenery as possible. I ran the Music City Marathon a few years back and intend to do it again this spring just for that reason; good times.

On a less objectifying note, they tend to put this information out well in advance. I understand that not everyone reads the local paper anymore, and those that do may not comb every corner of it, but the effort to inform is most likely made. Also, in our modern times every risk has to be mitigated down to the absolute lowest level in order to prevent liability. This may be an inconvenience, but if it wasn't for these measures it would leave the event organizers and the local government liable to lawsuits. In that case these events wouldn't happen at all and that would be more of a detriment to the community than the temporary inconvenience of a few hundred drivers.

Plus, runner chicks are hot. They just are.