AR-15 upper

Guest sqlightning

Guest sqlightning

so i am getting parts for my first ar build. i have a palmetto lower and am trying to decided on an upper. i am looking between these two ( 2-CMMG11006 - CMMG AR-15 Upper Reciever .223/5.56 22" Flat Top Free Float Tube Stainless Steel Bull Barrel and Stag Arms Model 6H Complete Upper Half 5.56mm | Cobra Tactical Gear). which would you choose and why? it will basically be something to play around with that can hit decent at some distance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twpayne75

They both will probably do their intended role. I would reconsider the length of either. Neither will make a significant difference from a 16 or 18 inch heavy barrel especially if you are not shooting match ammo. The added length will get old pretty quick. 18" is my favorite for a longer range (SPR type) AR. And when I say longer I mean a few hundred yards. There are much better calibers for longer range.

Neither use match grade barrels. I have built a couple like that using J&T Distributing uppers and always got pretty good results. Usually at or just over 1 moa. Only barrels I have gotten better with were White Oak Armamant.

If those are your only two choices, I would get the Stag. If you're going to reach out with an AR, you'll find that 77gr Matchkings are your friend. You need a 1:8 twist to use them. You may also want the 24" barrel, since you need all the velocity you can get. The gun is gonna be heavy.

I have a 24", 1:8 bull barrel one one of my AR's, and it does surprisingly well at 600 yards. It's not a gun I would want to carry around in the woods though.

I'd go with either the 18" or 16" barrel in 1/7" or 1/8" twist. For match shooting, faster twist rate stabilizes the heavier match rounds better. Noveske 1/7" barrels are used on many of the top competitor guns. Of course you don't have to use Noveske since from your choices it seems that you are on a budget. But 18" 1/7 would serve you well or 16" 1/7 (make sure you get mid length gas tube, not carbine length) would work as well if weight is a concern.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Light-Weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh%20vtrx11.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

Those two are probably the best options for you that are relatively inexpensive but very high quality. They are also easily resellable as well.

If you want to spend more and get a truly custom build, I recommend contacting wes@mstn.biz to see what he can do for you. My current 16" build is from him. He's located in Memphis but pretty much sells custom rifles to people all over the country including many .mil's. Extremely, extremely, nice man and very knowledgeable and helpful.

Guest gunmutt

I in sort of the same boat as you, but I have decided to build mine from the ground( no particular reason just I enjoyed building my ak so I thought an ar would be cool as well). For mine I'm looking for more of a 3 gun match type. I wanted something to be fun with target shooting, take down small game, and maybe( hopefully if I can have the time) some entry level competition. I am still in the air with the length but from what I have learned so far 16" to 18" are great. 1-8 is a good middle ground due to it being able to throw the lighter rounds down range without destabilizing the bullet like the 1-7 is known to do. Both CMMG and Stag are great manufacturers, but if your really wanting to be accurate your best bet is to build the upper yourself. If your a little mechanically inclined there fairly simple, just have a qualified gunsmith check it over when your done. This route could end up saving you big bucks if you plan on making upgrades to the complete uppers when it doesn't meet your expectations. I'm currently torn between a White Oak SPR barrel, Black Hole Weaponry Barrel, or a Rainier Arms SPR. Anyone have any suggestions on those?

@gunmutt - White Oak and Rainier Arms are pretty much identical barrels with the exception of the twist rate. WOA uses Wilson blanks in 1/7 twist and RA uses Wilson blanks in 1/8 twist. Also keep in mind that both are in the Wylde .223 chambering, which isn't exactly Remington .223 and isn't exactly NATO 5.56.

Guest gunmutt
@gunmutt - White Oak and Rainier Arms are pretty much identical barrels with the exception of the twist rate. WOA uses Wilson blanks in 1/7 twist and RA uses Wilson blanks in 1/8 twist. Also keep in mind that both are in the Wylde .223 chambering, which isn't exactly Remington .223 and isn't exactly NATO 5.56.

RA says on their site they use Shilen blanks and they use the twist that is more versatile. Also I am leaning towards the wylde chamber so I am able to use surplus ammo in 5.56

RA says on their site they use Shilen blanks and they use the twist that is more versatile. Also I am leaning towards the wylde chamber so I am able to use surplus ammo in 5.56

Yea you are right, the UltraMatch are the Shilen blanks. I was thinking of the Match barrels that RA sells, which are the Wilson blanks.

Guest gunmutt

RA>WOA>BHW, but does the difference between them really make a difference. They are all 18" rifle length gas system. I'd really like 17" because it the short a rifle length can go. I shot an email to BHW to see if the could cut one down to 17" then flute but I have had no response yet, they run a 3 groove poly rifling in 1x8 which seems like a durable setup. Kreiger is just too high and the WOA 1x7 can't throw light bullets very well.

Guest sqlightning

sorry it has taken a while to get back to this, but i was looking at 200-400 yard distances. i ended up getting a great deal on the stag upper, so hopefully it will be here in the next week or 2.