BlackHawk Serpa Holsters...........

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Medic908

I'm not sure what the particular "beefs" are - I own one and I've been very pleased with it. Allows for a natural draw and IMHO helps instill trigger discipline.

Guest Verbal Kint
How do they blame the holster for that ? :(

Actually the holsters were potentially problematic, causing discharges, and Blackhawk themselves issued recalls on certain models. Here is the recall info that Blackhawk sent out at the tail-end of last year:

http://dealers.blackhawk.com/images/downloads/dealerfiles/SafetyRecall122007.pdf

Blackhawk has since changed the design of the effected holsters, but a lot of people are still wary of the design and would rather steer clear of them altogether.

Edited by Verbal Kint

I found this review of the Serpa, written by Paul Gomez. Highlights are mine.

Blackhawk Serpa Holster -- A Damning Review

http://totalprotectioninteractive.co...8445#post18445

Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, â€The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.â€

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the drawstroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.

If this were not disturbing enough, in October 2005, while assisting with a class in Casa Grande, AZ, additional concerns surfaced. During a force-on-force evolution, when a student attempted to draw an NLTA-modified Glock 17 from his Blackhawk Serpa holster, he was unable to free the gun from the holster.

In fact, the gun was so tightly held in the holster that, with one person applying both hands to the release button and another person applying two hands to the pistol, the gun could not be freed. Upon inspection, a small piece of gravel, approximately the size of the head of a pin, had managed to work itself into the Serpa release button and wedge the lock in place.

While trying to effect a release of the pistol from the holster, the entire holster popped off of the belt. The three screws that attach the holster body to the belt plate simply slipped through the tracks in the belt plate without apparent damage. Of what use is a retention holster that does not keep the gun on the belt?

In my opinion, the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster is a severely flawed design. It offers the theoretical advantage of security while, in reality, offering none. It does not hold up to the rigors of realistic training. It accentuates the possibility of an unintentional discharge. It is unsafe.

If you, or anyone known to you, are currently using one of these holsters, please reconsider.

Sincerely,

Paul Gomez

I can see how it could happen, but the risk is there using any holster if you're drawing with your finger indexed and have no discipline to keep in straight until you decide to engage the trigger. Maybe Glocks are simply incompatible with the holster...? Maybe certain techniques which are taught are incompatible with the holster...? I've never had my finger land anywhere but the side of the frame when drawing, even very quickly (using SA XD).

The recalls were a result of folks using an M&P in a holster meant for a Glock (which they were told would fit it), and discharges occurring when the edge of the holster interacted with the trigger when re-holstering, not when drawing. It was a matter of improper fit.

Even the way Paul describes it, accusing the holster of having 'very real issues'... the only common contributing factors which lead to a discharge was Glock pistols and the user negligently pressing inward with their finger hooked towards the trigger. Who teaches folks to draw like that?

I've used alot of different holsters, and I certainly don't think that Blackhawk makes 'premium' products, compared to all of them; but when used properly they are perfectly adequate, and have many advantages over other retention holsters... though like any mechanical device have their weaknesses which can be exploited through incompetence.

I'd be far more concerned about the potential for the mechanism to be jammed by debris and prevent drawing... which is why I'd be hesitant to use a SERPA if I was going to be climbing and rolling around in a gravel pit. I've heard of this happening one whole time.

Last month at an IDPA match, I witnessed a hole-in-the-pantsleg ND with an XD in a Serpa (the guy was drawing, not re-holstering). Like molon said, maybe some techniques are simply incompatible with certain holsters, or perhaps it was one of the older ones. Whatever the case, I will stay away from them.