ID when walking?

Steelharp

Well it was Hendersonville. They are known for being "aggresive". :) I'm not surprised.

Just to clear my comment up, this is not a cop bash guys. This is from living in Sumner County my entire life and hearing countless stories and experiencing it myself. I have two friends that work for HPD and countless LEO friends so I am not bashing them in any way.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Squaring off with the cops on the side of the road almost always goes their way. Makes more sense to file a complaint after the fact.
No, it makes more sense to tell them no and sue the crap out of them if they do not leave you alone afterwards. That isn't trying to win on the side of the road; it's standing up for your rights and let the chips fall where they may. Complaints won't get you squat because obviously the department supports this considering all the comments about HPD.

The cop's actions do sound suspicious. From another viewpoint - not involving the legality of walking around with no ID - I would personally not walk around without ID even if I weren't carrying. When I worked at the library in downtown Knoxville, folks who worked at the businesses around there were constantly coming in with no ID and wanting to check out books. Another guy who worked there and I had a discussion about that, one day, and how strange (and not too bright) it seemed, to us. I mean, what if you are out walking around and get struck by a car (just for one example) and left unconscious, maybe for days, or even killed? It seems it would make it a lot easier to ID you, find out if you have any medical issues or allergies and alert your next of kin if you are carrying that little, thin and essentially weightless ID in your pocket than if you are not. Basically, to me, there is no reason not to carry ID at all times when away from your residence and many reasons for doing so. None of them should involve potentially being harassed by LEO, however.

I've seen a lot of people get taken to jail because they didn't have an ID. Of course you never know what will happen and you certainly don't leave to house intending on committing a crime, not most of us anyway. But say you are detained for a misdemeanor crime. Having that ID could be the difference in a cite and release and going to jail. Very good points about ID in case of an accident as well. I never leave the house without ID.

Guest Lester Weevils

The curfew aspect may be relevant. Earlier this year Chattanooga had an uptick in juvenile gang activity and they started more-strictly enforcing curfew and added restrictions to a couple of areas, between 6p and 6a minors must be accompanied by an adult.

It is probably beneficial if the police enforce the curfew, and in that case how would the police be able to tell if a kid is 17 versus 19 without seeing ID?

Maybe the kid resembled somebody they were looking for? Years ago when I had the ZZ Top hair and beard was walking downtown and a car stopped, several FBI got out, and asked for ID. After seeing ID they were polite enough to apologize for the hassle and show me an 8X10 glossy of the feller they were looking for, who was my spitting image. For awhile was hoping I wouldn't ever meet any of that dude's enemies. ;)

One time a friend was stopped by lots of police cars and had a gun stuck in his face. Turned out there had just been a robbery/shooting and the friend resembled the robber's description and the make/model/color of his car was the same. Probably wouldn't have been a good time to refuse to show ID. :)

Edited by Lester Weevils

..It is probably beneficial if the police enforce the curfew, and in that case how would the police be able to tell if a kid is 17 versus 19 without seeing ID?..

Not that it is related, but this makes me think about my 70 year old father being carded for a 6 pack.

The curfew aspect may be relevant. Earlier this year Chattanooga had an uptick in juvenile gang activity and they started more-strictly enforcing curfew and added restrictions to a couple of areas, between 6p and 6a minors must be accompanied by an adult.

It is probably beneficial if the police enforce the curfew, and in that case how would the police be able to tell if a kid is 17 versus 19 without seeing ID?

Maybe the kid resembled somebody they were looking for? Years ago when I had the ZZ Top hair and beard was walking downtown and a car stopped, several FBI got out, and asked for ID. After seeing ID they were polite enough to apologize for the hassle and show me an 8X10 glossy of the feller they were looking for, who was my spitting image. For awhile was hoping I wouldn't ever meet any of that dude's enemies. ;)

One time a friend was stopped by lots of police cars and had a gun stuck in his face. Turned out there had just been a robbery/shooting and the friend resembled the robber's description and the make/model/color of his car was the same. Probably wouldn't have been a good time to refuse to show ID. :)

I believe the HPD told the fellow that people 18 years or older had to have ID, so no curfew unless they declared marshal law up there.

Back in high school and early college, I worked at the White Store (and then Food City when they bought White Stores out) in Loudon. One Saturday evening I got together with some of my buddies and they told me that they had seen a guy working at a Kroger in Knoxville who looked just like me (poor, ugly bastard.) They said that, at first, they actually thought it was me and almost asked him ("me") when he ("I") had changed jobs. These guys were (and still are, in fact) my closest friends and I had known them for a few years at that point and even they thought this guy was me. They said he even had the same haircut. Remember, this was the early nineties - I had my hair cut like Jason Newsted of Metallica used to have his cut - shoulder length on top and shaved on the sides and in back. Not the most ordinary or common haircut. They said he had a goat-tee, too - just like I had at the time.

After that, I had several friends and acquaintances at UT ask if I worked at Kroger. They all thought this guy was me.

One day, a few years and a completely different haircut later, the boyfriend of the best friend of the girl I was dating back then was kind of ticked at me. He said he had seen me in a bar on the Cumberland Strip and had tried to talk to me but I just acted like I didn't know him. I told him, honestly, that I had never sat foot in that bar in my life. I don't know if it was the same guy others had mistaken for me but I figure it probably was.

I always hoped - and still do - that my doppleganger doesn't do anything that might result in trouble for me.

Edited by JAB
Guest WyattEarp

I'm really surprised that with the Patriot Act, and all that happened with 9/11, they haven't passed a law that requires everyone to carry some form of ID from the age of 16 and up.

It would make it a lot easier for everyone, but the fact of the matter is there is no law, and HPD was in the wrong, and that young man has more grace than I'd have had with that police officer, because I'd have told the cop to get back in his car and mind his own business. The young man was out for a walk enjoying himself, and the cop had no right to ask him for an ID, but a SS# and DOB should have sufficed in lieu of.

I've seen a lot of people get taken to jail because they didn't have an ID. Of course you never know what will happen and you certainly don't leave to house intending on committing a crime, not most of us anyway. But say you are detained for a misdemeanor crime. Having that ID could be the difference in a cite and release and going to jail. Very good points about ID in case of an accident as well. I never leave the house without ID.

here in Tennessee? That would be an unlawful arrest in my book.

you can provide your social security # and date of birth and they can pull your information up in the system once it's radioed in to dispatch.

Here's what more I've gathered. He and a friend had decided to walk from Gallatin to Hend'ville earlier in the day. (They live in Gallatin.) Then, well, they had to walk back. After they had got in to Gallatin, it was after midnight. The buddy had ID, but this boy did not. He's not sure if it was HPD that talked to them or not. Trying to find out. At any rate, they were taken to their apartment where he got his ID, and that was the end.

Not that it should matter one bit... but the kid with ID was white, and our non-ID friend is mixed.

Man. So, to finish my start on this, they did give him a ride to his home to make him produce his ID. Anyone else think this a bit Gestapo-ish?

Sounds like HPD to me, Mike. They don't have enough real crime to keep them busy so they try to make up their own. There's no requirement for a pedestrian, even in H'ville, to have an ID on them. Perhaps HPD was simply trying to get me some business. After all, I need the money to buy guns.

Went back and read some other responses. They may have a valid reason to ask if he's a juvenile if it's after curfew or if they are looking for someone who matches his description for a real crime. Even then, they may detain to determine identity but you are NOT required to have ID or go to jail.

Edited by MikePapa1
Here's what more I've gathered. He and a friend had decided to walk from Gallatin to Hend'ville earlier in the day. (They live in Gallatin.) Then, well, they had to walk back. After they had got in to Gallatin, it was after midnight. The buddy had ID, but this boy did not. He's not sure if it was HPD that talked to them or not. Trying to find out. At any rate, they were taken to their apartment where he got his ID, and that was the end.

Not that it should matter one bit... but the kid with ID was white, and our non-ID friend is mixed.

So it was justified after 12 and checking for curfew violation? please people ................. why do we always seem to make a mountain out of a mole hill all the time around here?

:rofl:

Guest WyattEarp
So it was justified after 12 and checking for curfew violation? please people ................. why do we always seem to make a mountain out of a mole hill all the time around here?

:rofl:

that's a mighty fine question to ask the police officer.

Not that it is related, but this makes me think about my 70 year old father being carded for a 6 pack.
There is an actual state law to ID for beer, appearance of age does not matter

They have modifed the law a bit, if someone who reasonably appears over 50 and doesn't have ID, you can still sell it to them. 57-5-301

Well that time of night and with it reasonable that he appeard under 18, I can see asking for the ID.

But it still sounds like a bigger deal was made out of it than necessary...

I've seen a lot of people get taken to jail because they didn't have an ID. Of course you never know what will happen and you certainly don't leave to house intending on committing a crime, not most of us anyway. But say you are detained for a misdemeanor crime. Having that ID could be the difference in a cite and release and going to jail.
here in Tennessee? That would be an unlawful arrest in my book.

TN state law (40-7-118) requires a person arrested for a misdemeanor to provide satisfactory proof of identification in order to be released from custody with a misdemeanor citation in lieu of being transported. No ID = Jail. It's an arrest either way - not sure what you mean by "an unlawful arrest" just because the person has to be transported.:rofl:

TN state law (40-7-118) requires a person arrested for a misdemeanor to provide satisfactory proof of identification in order to be released from custody with a misdemeanor citation in lieu of being transported. No ID = Jail. It's an arrest either way - not sure what you mean by "an unlawful arrest" just because the person has to be transported.:rofl:

You have to have commited some misdemeanor offense first before identifying yourself. Not having ID is not a crime itself.

Also it says "satisfactory" ID, not state issued picture ID. That being said though...I don't think most LEOs would take anything less...