Whats the weirdest thing you've ever seen at the range?

Guest sling

Guest Grout
did someone get the Dad as he came over....by accident of course?:D

No,but we had a Juvenile Court officer shooting with us as well as a Chattanooga PD officer,however we were in the county but a Ham.Co.Deputy lives outside the range so he was summoned.Last I heard the father was arrested but don't know the rest of the story.It was a few years back.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDPA matches, maybe 15 years ago, in North Carolina...

Saw a gentleman in his 70's draw and perforate 3 targets (2 shots each) with a revolver - in well under two seconds.

Lady I had trained won the novice trophy at her first match, outscoring her ex-USMC husband by a VERY comfortable margin. She insisted I sell her the BHP I'd loaned her for the match, and after they got home he was so upset that he took it to pieces and gave it to her in a shoebox. Needless to say her next lesson was detail-stripping and reassembly.

Navy rifle matches, Dam Neck - kid spotting for me told me he could watch the bullets go downrange from the 500 yd line, and proceeded to tell me exactly where each one went. He was dead on, too.

Guest desireeharper1
No,but we had a Juvenile Court officer shooting with us as well as a Chattanooga PD officer,however we were in the county but a Ham.Co.Deputy lives outside the range so he was summoned.Last I heard the father was arrested but don't know the rest of the story.It was a few years back.

where do you live/shoot? i'm in chattanooga. -also, i get really fired up about abusive men. i think all women should have weapons training. it would even the playing field in those situations. don't worry, i haven't shot anyone, yet.

Guest Boomhower
Navy rifle matches, Dam Neck - kid spotting for me told me he could watch the bullets go downrange from the 500 yd line, and proceeded to tell me exactly where each one went. He was dead on, too.

I've saw that on TV......weaponology or some show like that. That is friggin awesome to sit there and watch.

Guest MidTNShooter

I didn't see it first hand, but I talked to the person who did it and the range owner who witnessed it. At the company I work for has a contracting security company that "keeps us so-called-safe". I asked the female guard how often do they practice at the range. She stated that they shoot only when they qualify. I'm thinking once a year..... WRONG ! This one guard shot herself in the foot. I thought maybe she was shooting a semi and was emptying her un-spent rounds from her mag and pulled the pistol's trigger, not knowing there was a round in the chamber.....WRONG! I told the owner (popular in the Nashville/Smyrna area) of the range that they qualify at this and was told that they ONLY qualifies once every two years. They only shoot a handful of rounds and that is it. He also stated she wasn't shooting a semi at his range, BUT A REVOLVER ! She was clearing her weapon by shooting down at the ground "thinking" the pistol was empty.... WRONG ! The results were some time spent at the hospital. Oh yeah, this is the same guard that shot someone in the A$$ when her so called perp was running away.

Boy, this makes me feel safe. Complaining never helps, we just refuse to go onsite if they are needed. As for CCW, not allowed. Better fired than dead, huh?

Take Care,

MTS

Guest GUTTERbOY
i've seen idiot kids shooting across us into mud puddles under the other targets at prentice cooper, and a father and son walking downrange without clearing it first a few times before someone told them to stop. i told the kids to knock it off b/c it's dangerous and they were getting my targets wet! i also saw (at carter's) some guys refuse to wear ear muffs, and it's pretty loud in there. oh- and i shoot a "9". :P

Re: the kids shooting into the puddles, was this a couple weekend ago over on the pistol range? Few teenagers with 10/22s? If so, I think I was shooting beside you. I was all the way over against the wall, far right, shooting a ported XD, and I recall the folks two positions over asking the kids not to shoot into the puddles because they were getting their targets wet.

If so, yeah, those kids were annoying. There's no way their bullets were hitting the backstop, either. :D

Guest GUTTERbOY

I'm pretty sure there was an adult there with them, though I don't recall if he was physically near them the entire time.

I've read that Gen. Chuck Yeager, who flew a P-51 Mustang during WWII, also claimed to have been able to see the bullets he fired in combat.

I've also seen bullets going downrange. I was shooting a .380 in an eastward direction just before sunset. The sunlight reflected off the copper on the base of the bullet, giving it a sort of tracer effect. I was only able to do this for a couple of minutes, and have been unable to reproduce it since.

• 1 month later...

Okay, how about this one - 200 yd lane at Pungo rifle range. I heard afterward that (unofficially) one of the teams had used the range the week before, and they liked to play around with flashbangs, etc. behind the targets (officially) the staff had just dumped the range sweepings behind the targets.

Anyway, me and another guy were trying to track down a jumping point of impact on an M1A. I fired, and the far end of the range blew up. Must'a been a 20 foot fireball. I looked at the rifle, then looked down into my ammo can, thinking 'what the heck am I shooting, here?'.

Okay, how about this one - 200 yd lane at Pungo rifle range. I heard afterward that (unofficially) one of the teams had used the range the week before, and they liked to play around with flashbangs, etc. behind the targets (officially) the staff had just dumped the range sweepings behind the targets.

Anyway, me and another guy were trying to track down a jumping point of impact on an M1A. I fired, and the far end of the range blew up. Must'a been a 20 foot fireball. I looked at the rifle, then looked down into my ammo can, thinking 'what the heck am I shooting, here?'.

That must have been confusing at first. I can hear myself now.

"What in the world was.......Oh hell yeah!!!"

Guest atomemphis
Strangest thing I've seen is a guy wearing a corset.

My god that was messed up. Just as bad as the movie-nerds who are far too excited about each gun and talk about 'how bad ass' each gun is.

WE GET IT, GUNS ARE NEATO.

Guest Grout
where do you live/shoot? i'm in chattanooga. -also, i get really fired up about abusive men. i think all women should have weapons training. it would even the playing field in those situations. don't worry, i haven't shot anyone, yet.

This was at the Chattanooga Rifle Club.It was about 1999 or 2000 IIRC.

Edited by Grout
Guest Grout
There is a Santa Claus hanging from the silhouettes and a blow up doll at the CRC plinking range.

Damn,someone broke up with their girlfriend.:D

At stones river, I had just unpacked and was loading magazines on the bench for my daughter. RSO knows me and has seen me with several ak varients at the range. He comes over and asks will i help the guy two bays down as he' hitting wood darn near every shot. So i go down and theres a fiftyish year old guy with a chinese ak. Hes got the front sight flipped up like an a peep on a quigley rifle is damn near shooting straight up. Another honorable mention cause i didnt see it but it is on film. Guy is shooting downstairs at greenbriar and hits a bad primer. dip wad actually starts to look down the pipe when the round pops going through the ceiling and busting a water pipe. Guy then moves his gear too avoid pouring water and when confronted denys it. when shown the tape however he fesses up.

Guest bkelm18

I've been to Pungo. Nice little range in the middle of nowhere.

Guest gcrookston

several individuals with a Baby Nambu and a shoe box of misc. bullets trying to figure out which ones fit and trying to fire the damn thing. They had been demo'ing an old garage and found the bullets and gun in the rafters (this was in Dallas about 15 yrs ago). For a while I stood at a respectful distance and watched, but my conscience eventually got the best of me and I suggested what they were doing was a bad idea.

Guest Grout
several individuals with a Baby Nambu and a shoe box of misc. bullets trying to figure out which ones fit and trying to fire the damn thing. They had been demo'ing an old garage and found the bullets and gun in the rafters (this was in Dallas about 15 yrs ago). For a while I stood at a respectful distance and watched, but my conscience eventually got the best of me and I suggested what they were doing was a bad idea.

How much did you offer them for the Baby Nambu?:)