My favorite thing about revolvers (over semiautos)

Tennjed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that typically revolvers do not get the high round count per outing than a typical auto loader gets.....BUT if anyone doubts that they Do indeed bang hard, take a close look at Jerry Miculek. That .45 acp revolver he is so fond of gets more through it in a week than some shoot in a year!

...and, if it's a game of who's is longer....We all know a revolver sucks for capacity, but NO autoloader brings more power to the table. The ones that try, say the .50AE Desert Eagle are clumsy and unwieldy. To everything there is a time and place. I wouldn't get rid of one for the other...ever. Nothing can replace my Sp101; It can never replace my XD9 and neither can replace my .45 LC w/ a 300g FPGC sitting on 23.5g of H110 for 1300+fps.

My XD9: 18+1 A+ for zombies, F for bears.

Blackhawk - Gets the exact opposite;)

Edited by Caster

I think that today its harder to respect the old wheel gun. I probably wouldn't if not for my father-in-law. He was a real John Wayne type who rode horses and hit the range 4-5 times a week. He had a 357 on his hip at all times and reloaded whatever he shot. His skill was amazing and had mastered many trick shots. Imagining him armed with an auto would be like imagining giblet gravy on ice cream.

Me? I like both, but the revolver is a range or home gun for me. They are too thick for me to conceal carry (and so are most autos). I have also always felt that they are more of an "expert" sidearm. Thats probably because everyone I have known to use them, used them well.

One thing that always irked me is when people point out their small capacity, yet the same people carry an auto with only 7-9 rounds. I had an instructor who made the same statement while sporting a 1911. Sure its more, but not compared to the double-stacks.

Yeh, that's why my autos are double stacks:D Besides, I've always thought the wider grip

fit my hands better. If I were younger, I would love to do some of those drills I see folks do

on the videos. However, I typically am more aware of my situation and tend to keep myself

in a position where I can utilize my weapon if needed. I try to understand my limitations and

avoid situations that might require a gun fight.

I only entered this discussion because of the shear fun factor of my couple of revolvers. I am

primarily a recreational shooter with a deep understanding of its potential in the real world and

carry accordingly.

The only failures I recall with my autos, so far, are ammunition related. I loaded some crappy ones

at first, but the guns otherwise have never failed me. It's always got something to do with the learning

curve, tactical or recreational.

Having said that, the 29 I bought has the best trigger I have ever touched. I don't know why I didn't

get one of those a long time ago.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

One thing that always irked me is when people point out their small capacity, yet the same people carry an auto with only 7-9 rounds. I had an instructor who made the same statement while sporting a 1911. Sure its more, but not compared to the double-stacks.

I get what you're saying. But reload a semi-auto. Now reload a revolver. I bet one was faster and easier, and required less manual dexterity.

I think that today its harder to respect the old wheel gun. I probably wouldn't if not for my father-in-law. He was a real John Wayne type who rode horses and hit the range 4-5 times a week. He had a 357 on his hip at all times and reloaded whatever he shot. His skill was amazing and had mastered many trick shots. Imagining him armed with an auto would be like imagining giblet gravy on ice cream.Me? I like both, but the revolver is a range or home gun for me. They are too thick for me to conceal carry (and so are most autos). I have also always felt that they are more of an "expert" sidearm. Thats probably because everyone I have known to use them, used them well.One thing that always irked me is when people point out their small capacity, yet the same people carry an auto with only 7-9 rounds. I had an instructor who made the same statement while sporting a 1911. Sure its more, but not compared to the double-stacks.
If the shooter has mastered using a speedloader, the revolver is no different from a small, thin, lowcap auto (or a large lowcap auto, 1911 style). Though a lot of the carry revolvers only hold 5, so you are still talking 5 vs 7-8 which is enough extra shots to be notable, 50% more shots. I would carry a small revolver and be happy, but I prefer the autos because thumbing back the hammer in a hurry sucks and most revolvers are a bit painful DA pull for me, a tuned one or high quality action is ok --- same reason I will not have a DAO auto.
Unless you are shooting a crappy revolver - they hardly, if ever fail....ever

I disagree. I copied below what I said earlier in post #13.

Yep. Ask me how I know...cause my EDC S&W 642 is currently at S&W with a broken hammer pivot pin. Snapped off from the frame. How do you like them apples?

I don't consider a S&W 642 to be crappy revolver and mine broke. At first I thought it was a freak occurance but a quick google search told me I'm not alone. I will still use it as my EDC when it comes back but a small piece of mind in regards to "revolvers never fail" reliability for me is gone.

I am 100% revolvers 100% of the time and that is based on my own personal experience, not on what somebody told me. And I don't plan on defending against a large number of bad guys...just the thug who is trying to kill me. If I did intend on defending against an invading army, I would have a rifle.

To anybody carrying semi's...practice clearing jams and try to stop dropping empty shells on my head at the range :poop: B

Edited by Bassoneer

I think revolvers are better looking...I think it's the sexy curves. Then there's the "oh crap, I stepped in it now" factor when you can see 5 or 6 gleaming .357 hollow points looking back at you.

Still, I prefer a semi auto for EDC. Carrying and changing mags is way easier and more ammo is always comforting no matter how good a shot you are.

Guest lostpass
I'm not speaking of heavy loads, I'm talking about high round counts, odd manipulations of the revolver and demanding drills. These things put more stress on the revolver and shooter than any high powered load ever could.

Not downing revolvers, I love them. But they have many drawbacks.

Mike

What drill puts such a strain in revolvers that they can't handle it ? Further,how is that drill actually useful? In real life and all? It seems like a lot of people aren't training for unlikely scenarios but they are interested in some really weird scenario where they have to outdraw someone with equivalent training.

I'm not speaking of heavy loads, I'm talking about high round counts, odd manipulations of the revolver and demanding drills. These things put more stress on the revolver and shooter than any high powered load ever could.
What drill puts such a strain in revolvers that they can't handle it ? Further,how is that drill actually useful? In real life and all? It seems like a lot of people aren't training for unlikely scenarios but they are interested in some really weird scenario where they have to outdraw someone with equivalent training.

See bold part. You are more likely to mess up than the revolver. If all you train for is the best scenario, when things go wrong what will you do?

Part of a good training class should be to get you out of your comfort zone doing things you are not good at. The point is to get better at them. Once the odd malfunction is routine, the routine actions become much more fluid.

Mike

I've owned and carried revolvers in the past. While I still find them fun and enjoy shooting them at the range, when it comes to carry and/or defense, I personally won't be reaching for one as long as I have my auto loaders available.

First and main reason I prefer auto-loaders is due to less stoppages. Stoppages are not always due to weapon malfunction. Whether people want to admit it or not, running out of ammo is a stoppage. The gun has stopped working and will not start again until you add more ammo. The revolvers I've owned.... held between 5-6 rounds of ammo. Current carry guns hold between 11-18 rounds. From the start that is 2-3 times less guaranteed stoppages caused by capacity. While 5-6 rounds can be enough to stop some attackers, it is not always the case. Add into the equation multiple attackers and such and higher capacity becomes even more desirable.

There are many folks who can reload revolvers pretty fast. However, I have yet to see a single person who spends equal time training and practicing with both revolvers and auto-loaders who could not reload the auto as fast or in the majority of cases faster than the revolvers(Jerry included). The time gap spreads farther apart while trying to do so while flat on your back, on your side or while laying prone(simulating you being knocked to the ground or finding yourself in those positions while seeking cover). So you are guaranteed to reload more often and in most cases... take longer to do it as well.

Revolvers can and do malfunction, whether user induced or mechanical failure.... they are not immune. I've seen and/or personally experienced..... excessive lint from holsterless pocket carry get caught under the star ejector during a reload that prevented the ejector from fully seating which kept the cylinder from closing. The gun had to be unloaded(shells dumped on ground), ejector held open while removing the offending lint with the other hand and reloaded again before it was operational. Same gun had lint and dust built up under the cylinder release button to the point that it was stuck forward and after the gun was reloaded the cylinder didn't latch on it's own when closed and the button had to be slid back manually with support hand thumb. Seen cylinder stops worn to the point they failed to stop the cylinder on the next loaded chamber and also shaved bullets due to the timing being slightly off. Seen ejector rods bent as well. These malfunctions all took longer to diagnose and clear to get the gun back in action than the typical immediate action drill with autoloaders including the double feed.

As far as the psychological/intimidation factor of the bad guy seeing the rounds in the chamber of the revolver goes. While the sight of a gun can be a deterrent, I'm not betting my life on it and I'm not drawing my weapon for that purpose. Personally, if I've decided to pull my pistol I've already decided I need to shoot. Further more, if the BG can see loaded rounds in the chamber they can also see when it is empty by that logic. If you have already expended your ammo and haven't realized it yet and the BG does does that not work against you?

Not trying to sway anyone's opinions on the matter, just explaining how I formed mine. To each their own, different strokes for different folks and all that.... revolver.... auto-loader...... just practice with and carry something.

I have never had a revolver fail. I maintain my revolvers, I only keep quality revolvers, and O have yet to have a stoppage. I wish I could say that about my autos. Glock is number one. Had one bad 36, Beretta would be next, and every 1911 I have ever had has been magazine or ammo finicky except real mil-spec guns with good mags and hardball. I like my autos, I carry my autos but when I need 100% +, I grab a revolver.

Sorry dude.....had to point out how funny this comment was!

Sorry dude.....had to point out how funny this comment was!

What exactly is funny about it Dude? I have owned many 1911's. I have owned a gun shop and a indoor range. I am speaking from experience. There are many different 1911 manufacturers today, many do not build to John Moses Brownings original specifications. Say what you will, I have been on the range with brand new Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Para's, Cheapo's, etc. with all types of ammo and I have experienced the jams(most out of the box) first hand, not something I heard about. So what are you trying to say?

What exactly is funny about it Dude? I have owned many 1911's. I have owned a gun shop and a indoor range. I am speaking from experience. There are many different 1911 manufacturers today, many do not build to John Moses Brownings original specifications. Say what you will, I have been on the range with brand new Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Para's, Cheapo's, etc. with all types of ammo and I have experienced the jams(most out of the box) first hand, not something I heard about. So what are you trying to say?

It was not a dig on the 1911 at all, nor at you either. I just found the irony in the comment itself funny. You stated,"every 1911 I have ever had has been magazine or ammo finicky......... except real mil-spec guns with good mags and hardball" which implies that in reality the mil-spec guns were finicky too since they prefer good mags and hardball ammo. I've owned numerous 1911's of various makes and models with ten's of thousands rounds down range myself. Again it was not a dig at you or the gun..... you could insert any mass produced/copied design(AR's, AK's, CZ 75's, etc) in that statement and I would still find it( the statement) humerous the way it was worded. Sorry if you were offended as it was not my intention.