S&W Sigma .40 or Ruger P96 9mm?

Guest TargetShooter84

... And can you guys give me a couple good gun shops that they can go and look into around Knoxville area? I told them that Frontier wasn't too bad and that Coal Creek Armory wasn't an ideal place to purchase a gun from due to their rude customer services.

Experiences with CCA vary, mine has been fine. Frontier in Kingston, Austins in Oak Ridge, Bills Outpost in Knoxville or Maryville, Farnsworth's in Vonore, Gander Mtn, ... the list goes on.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twpayne75

I was at Mike's Gun Shop this morning. They had a used 3rd gen S&W 9mm compact for $350. Had some holster wear. I'm sure it could be bought for less than that.

I went to Frontier last week. I can honestly say that with the exception of Mikes, they have the friendliest staff of any place I have been to. But their prices were not that impressive. Mike told me this morning that he is selling Glock 23's for around $450. He is also ready to open his Morristown location. He is just waiting on the final ATF letter. Should be any day. That shop will also be SOT certified. He is building supressors now. Will be selling for about $200 plus the $200 tax stamp.

Guest TargetShooter84

Thanks for those feedbacks on those two guns. Its a good thing I asked you guys for advice because if it was up to me, I would've said Sigma and I'd hate to have seen them unhappy about it but I will recommend the Ruger to them when I talk to them and have them come out to CCA to rent a few guns to shoot and get a feel of but I will strongly suggest 9mm due to its cheaper prices than .40SW.

Having been taught to shoot on double action revolvers the sigma was a piece of cake to shoot, and out shot me by a long shot. I put almost 5000 rounds through mine before giving it to my dad. The sigma is light, well built, and has an unconditional life time warranty. To me the ruger is a boat anchor and more difficult to tear down and clean. I would not hesitate to carry a sigma and if you find a used one around $250 you can't go wrong. Train properly and shoot often and the trigger will be an afterthought.