AR 15 Range report

Glenn

Finally made it to Norris to try out my new Olympic AR 15. Since I haven't had much experience with this platform I was not expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised. It was great fun to shoot and generally hit where I was aiming. I'm hooked. Got to find more cheap ammo. Got to find more cheap ammo. Got to find more cheap ammo.

Glenn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some steel case Russian called WPA at the gun show for $119.99 for 500, but I shot at least a third of it today. It shot fine. I also picked up some used military magazines. If I put the full 30 in them I had to use the forward assist to load the first round. The following rounds gave no problem.

Glenn

Three places to always check for ammo are Aim Surplus, Palmetto, and SGammo. Brass has come down a little lately and the difference between it and steel isn't as much as it used to be. For the price difference, you could reload the brass or sell it and probably make most of your money back. Good luck with the AR. I shot a buddies Bushmaster several years ago and have been ruined ever since :)

I was the one who let you pull the trigger on my gun and offered the trigger job on your AR.

If your trigger is using a factory hammer and trigger you may have issues light strikes on hard primered ammo. The trigger felt light but if the hammer spring has been bent or a leg chopped off to get your trigger to feel like that you may have problems. It almost felt like the hammer spring was installed backwards (yes it is possible) or a leg shopped off. It could be a two stage but honestly it didn't feel like it.

If we meet again I don't mind taking a look even if you don't want my kit installed. And being new to the platform I'll show you some of the things to look for as far as maintanence issues go as well as let you know what items you need to keep on hand to keep it running with the minimal amount of downtime.

The AR platform is a very versatile platform that does many things well. The best part about them is you can build or change it to suit your needs or wants.

Dolomite

Glad you had fun.

I wondered if any of the other shooters up there were from the board when I was there.

I was shooting the 10/22.

We need to have some way to identify each other.

Dolomite,

Must have been someone else, or my memory is worse than I think.

Glenn

Guest hawkeye10
Wolf at Aim Surplus. $189 for 1000 rounds

Dang Mike I was going to suggest Aim's Surplus but you beat me to it. LOL I ordered 2 cases last night should be here later this week. They have the best price I have seen. Don

We need to have some way to identify each other.

Dolomite,

Must have been someone else, or my memory is worse than I think.

Glenn

You are probably right. I only saw one person with an AR the entire time I was there. That was the person I spoke to.

My wife came back for a few minutes to use the restroom (if that is what you want to call it) and I noticed another person with what appeared to be an AR on the bench. I couldn't stop, that may have been you. They were parked in front of a white car.

My offer still stands though if you want to get together sometime.

As far as a way to identify each other I recommend a brand on the forehead. B)

Dolomite