open carry?

Guest oldslowchevy

Guest oldslowchevy

ok i am confuseed (which is easily done) is the 2 permits or just 1? one for open carry and one for conceled carry?

i would like my wife to have her conceld weapons permit. i on the other hand would perfer to open carry as i would only carry while camping and hiking and other such activites. i figure that my size 5'9" 230 lbs with 17" biceps i feel a would be attacker would already have a weapon drawn on me long before i had the thought of pulling mine. so i have no desire to conceal carry for that reason.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In TN we have a HCP or hand gun carry permit. You need it to carry a handgun, once you have your permit it is irrelevant weather you carry open or concealed you may legally do either.

and its not a weapons permit, its strictly a handgun(handgun is poorly defined, by the way) permit, you can carry anything from an AR style pistol with 60+ rounds to a 2 shot derringer, but you cannot carry a combat knife or sword or brass knuckles or anything else with it.

As for your situation, try a training class or 2 with the wife. It will help you both, and you will learn situational awareness that would help you. Nothing will help if someone sticks a gun between your shoulderblades from behind, no one can draw and shoot such an attack, but it will help a lot of other situations. Give yourself a chance, you dont HAVE to draw your gun if someone has the drop on you, but you COULD draw it in a wide variety of other situations.

i on the other hand would perfer to open carry as i would only carry while camping and hiking and other such activites.

Keep in mind that some of state parks outlaw weapons on the premises, so check the rules first as you may not want to open carry there. I went to Savage Gulf park a couple of months ago and that was one of the prominently-displayed rules.

Keep in mind that some of state parks outlaw weapons on the premises, so check the rules first as you may not want to open carry there.

You can now carry in TN State parks with your HCP. Some are still posted but if you are legally carrying, you can ignore the signs.

Exception 4: While State Parks' rules and regulations prohibit firearm possession and use, Public Chapter 428 of 2009 created an exception in state firearms law that allows individuals with a valid "carry permit" under TCA § 39-17-1351 to carry a handgun within the boundaries of all state parks. While this new law makes an exception for possession, it does not make exception to the use of a firearm. Discharging a weapon in non-designated areas of our parks is still an offense. If a permit holder fires a weapon in self-defense, the holder bears the burden of proof to avoid potential charges under "prohibited firearm use."

Edited by Red5
added the official stuff
Keep in mind that some of state parks outlaw weapons on the premises, so check the rules first as you may not want to open carry there. I went to Savage Gulf park a couple of months ago and that was one of the prominently-displayed rules.

All state parks are carry allowed, they can't not be prohibited by the parks carry law. You're seeing old signs, they are not enforceable for persons with a HCP.

Guest bkelm18

By law, all TN state parks allow carry, open or concealed. Permit holders may ignore any signs that say firearms are banned in the park (except with respect to rifles of course).

Edited: Echo.... :screwy:

All state parks are carry allowed, they can't not be prohibited by the parks carry law. You're seeing old signs, they are not enforceable for persons with a HCP.

Thanks for clarifying that. Originally I thought all parks were HCP friendly, with the exception of any city parks that chose an exemption when the law was put into effect. Then when I went to the park and saw the signs, I thought the park sign was valid.

Thanks for clarifying that. Originally I thought all parks were HCP friendly, with the exception of any city parks that chose an exemption when the law was put into effect. Then when I went to the park and saw the signs, I thought the park sign was valid.

The exception covers only TN STATE parks.

It has nothing to do with any facilities operated by cities or counties. If THESE are posted then it is still illegal.

The exception covers only TN STATE parks.

It has nothing to do with any facilities operated by cities or counties. If THESE are posted then it is still illegal.

Actually, to split hairs, all city and county parks are legal carry zones by default. They must exempt (opt out) themselves from the statute by resolution and posting, something not allowed by state parks.

Knoxville is the exception to this, though, no carry and not required to post either.

- OS