Will you get reported for buying 2 lowers at the same time?

Hello,

At the Nashville gun show last weekend there was a booth that had AR-15 lowers with a much better deal if you bought two instead of one. Now I'm not building an AR just yet, but figure I'll pick up a lower at some point if I find a good deal at one of the shows.

Does the law requiring dealers to report anyone buying two firearms in (5) days apply to Tennessee? I have read conflicting articles, some saying it's general and some saying only to the southern border states.

Not that I am hiding or anything... but I don't want to be in some database the rest of my life for no reason. So just wondering.

Going to check out the Jackson show tomorrow and just see what the going deals are :(

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to my local shop, they will run a check for each, but you can buy as many as you want.

Show in Jackson tomorrow? Will it be Sunday as well? Id love to go, but I have to drive to Tupelo tomorrow.

Show in Jackson tomorrow? Will it be Sunday as well? Id love to go, but I have to drive to Tupelo tomorrow.

I believe it's both days at the fairgrounds, but I'd have to check. There's a thread about it in the "Events and Gatherings" section of the forum.

The extra reporting only applies to two handgun purchases within a 5 day period from the same dealer, at least in Tennessee. As long as they were registered by the manufacturer as rifle lowers, the FFL wouldn't have to file the extra form.

Edited by quietguy
clarification
Guest lostpass
Hello,

At the Nashville gun show last weekend there was a booth that had AR-15 lowers with a much better deal if you bought two instead of one. Now I'm not building an AR just yet, but figure I'll pick up a lower at some point if I find a good deal at one of the shows.

Does the law requiring dealers to report anyone buying two firearms in (5) days apply to Tennessee? I have read conflicting articles, some saying it's general and some saying only to the southern border states.

Not that I am hiding or anything... but I don't want to be in some database the rest of my life for no reason. So just wondering.

Going to check out the Jackson show tomorrow and just see what the going deals are :(

Thanks!

I'm wondering what difference it really makes. Every time you buy a gun it is run through the federal background check so if you make it through that why worry about the sales being reported?

Let me be more specific:

As onerous as I find the current laws, and I don't like them, I don't see what difference one more hoop makes. They're already making it overly tough...

I'm wondering what difference it really makes. Every time you buy a gun it is run through the federal background check so if you make it through that why worry about the sales being reported?

Let me be more specific:

As onerous as I find the current laws, and I don't like them, I don't see what difference one more hoop makes. They're already making it overly tough...

Actually, Tennessee "buffers" the data of your background with TICS. When you purchase two handguns (again, from the same dealer within a 5 day period), the BATFE requires that the FFL submit additional paperwork. These purchases are tracked, where a 4473 really isn't.

Clearing all the cheks is not a problem at all. It was just that if Janet (napolitano) makes them report sales of two, she must think thats a "right wing extremist" and I don't want to end up on her list.... haha. (I say haha but it's a sad day that that this is even a serious topic)

If you buy more than one handgun on the same 4473 the FFL has to fill out another form with your info and the guns info on it and send it to BATFE. They also have to send it to a local law enforcement agency.

wow! the only reason i even anything about about is that my local dealer added a small rubber stamp place asking if have bought a hand gun in the last XX number of days.

but what i think is funny is that i have to a PIN to pass the state check and the fed's say that i am good go! no PIN needed.

Its Handguns only...though I guess if you bought two "pistol marked" lowers then that would qualify. Loosen the tinfoil...no ones gonna arrest you...the naughty list becomes a problem we will have way bigger worries. Im sure i have quite a record with the ATF for multiple handgun purchases...I obey the law and don't hang out with the extremists or Michelle Bachman so i'm not worried.

I Wonder where the AR pistol falls into this situation. Conceivably an out of state resident should be able to buy a lower but since a dealer has no way of knowing whether it will be built into a pistol or a rifle they could refuse to sell. Or maybe there's a law that dictates that a frame or receiver can't be sold to am put of state resident. The same goes for buying 2 ar receivers. The dealer has no way of knowing whether it's going to be a rifle or pistol so potentially they should do a multiple purchase form.aybe a dealer can clarify.

I Wonder where the AR pistol falls into this situation. Conceivably an out of state resident should be able to buy a lower but since a dealer has no way of knowing whether it will be built into a pistol or a rifle they could refuse to sell. Or maybe there's a law that dictates that a frame or receiver can't be sold to am put of state resident. The same goes for buying 2 ar receivers. The dealer has no way of knowing whether it's going to be a rifle or pistol so potentially they should do a multiple purchase form.aybe a dealer can clarify.

The rule/law (or whatever) was changed recently regarding stripped receivers. They can only be sold to in-state residents. Receivers are classified as "other" on the 4473, as they are neither handguns nor longguns. There is no reporting requirement for multiple stripped receiver purchases.

The last lowers I bought(three) had no special

requirements, and if they ever do I will give

someone the finger and live with it. There was

no difference in a pistol or rifle designation in

the purchase, other than classifying it as "other"

I think. Unless something has changed, you can

make any new lower into a pistol or a rifle at first.

You can't make a pistol out of a previously made

rifle lower, whatever damned difference that makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last lowers I bought(three) had no special

requirements, and if they ever do I will give

someone the finger and live with it. There was

no difference in a pistol or rifle designation in

the purchase, other than classifying it as "other"

I think. Unless something has changed, you can

make any new lower into a pistol or a rifle at first.

You can't make a pistol out of a previously made

rifle lower, whatever damned difference that makes.

My last lower purchase was for 3 lowers. 2 are currently rifles and one sits naked in the safe. That will likely be my pistol build, but how in the world can anyone track which one went to a pistol build or was previously a rifle?

• 4 weeks later...

Edit: had another question, but then found the answer. Couldn't figure out how to delete my reply, so sorry its popping up as a new post.

Edited by Guest
My last lower purchase was for 3 lowers. 2 are currently rifles and one sits naked in the safe. That will likely be my pistol build, but how in the world can anyone track which one went to a pistol build or was previously a rifle?

They can't. All they can do is write a stupid vague

piece of regulation to scare people. It's a silly reg.

They can't. All they can do is write a stupid vague

piece of regulation to scare people. It's a silly reg.

I thought a lower used for a pistol had to be registered as a pistol? Maybe "registered" isn't an appropriate term but you understand what I'm saying, right?