Question regarding handgun purchase/owning under the age of 21

Guest Brierbo11

Guest Brierbo11

What is the exact laws on owning a handgun under the age of 21 but older than 18?

What is the exact laws on purchasing a handgun under the age of 21 but older than 18?

I looked at ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives the law says that no FFL dealer shall sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 21. But also says "it shall be unlawful for a person to sell,deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has resonable cause to believe is a juvenile(Under the age of 18) A handgun.

I also understand that I cannot carry the handgun under the age of 21.

The reason I am looking into the laws is because I am wanting to purchase/own a handgun to learn more about gun safety, to take to the range to shoot, and I also realize I cannot carry the gun on me. I am wanting to know information so I do not break any laws.

Thanks,

Spencer

Edited by Brierbo11
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

You pretty much answered your own question. A person over the age of 18 but under the age of 21 may purchase a handgun in a private transaction but they must be 21 or older to purchase from a FFL.

Guest hawkeye10

Spencer it's been so long since I had to worry about being old enough that I don't know what all the laws are. I do know you can't buy a hand gun from a FFL dealer but I am not sure about a private sale. I am sure someone will be along that knows more than I do. Don

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

You're going to be looking either for a gift or a private sale. Or make friends with people who have handguns and will go shooting with you.

That in conjuction with TN state law which forbids the possession of a handgun by a juvenile, defined as anyone under the age of 18, results in the 3 year period in which you can own a handgun but cannot buy one from a dealer...

You can't SELL one to a minor, but you can loan or GIVE a handgun or long gun to a minor, if:

"A firearm was loaned or given to a minor for the purposes of hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or any other lawful sporting activity"

- OS

Guest bkelm18
My daughter got one for graduation, she was 18. If was a gift from me.

You also won't be able to buy pistol ammunition if you are under 21 as well.

Most online ammo retailers don't check ID.

What is pistol ammo? I almost bought a .44 mag rifle, and there are 9mm rifles, .40 rifles, .22 rifles.... and I have a 223 handgun, have seen a .308 handgun, and so forth. There is no such thing as pistol ammo. Like many others, I got my first pistol young, as a gift from my dad, at 18. Before that I used his as I would, when young with supervision but as a teen I shot thousands of rounds of .22 when no one else was home, as the noise got old for my mom/sister etc.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest bkelm18
What is pistol ammo? I almost bought a .44 mag rifle, and there are 9mm rifles, .40 rifles, .22 rifles.... and I have a 223 handgun, have seen a .308 handgun, and so forth. There is no such thing as pistol ammo. Like many others, I got my first pistol young, as a gift from my dad, at 18. Before that I used his as I would, when young with supervision but as a teen I shot thousands of rounds of .22 when no one else was home, as the noise got old for my mom/sister etc.

The federal gov't says there's such a thing as pistol ammo. B)

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

When buying things like .22 ammo that are commonly found in both pistols and rifles, some retailers will just ask what sort of gun you're buying it for. It's not very effective, but I guess it counts as jumping through all the right hoops.

Guest bkelm18
They say there is such a thing as an "extra bad" "hate crime" too, but neither one are defined in any sensible manner.

Oh I'm certain they could define it if they needed to.

In some states, you can get a license to carry a handgun at 18. In some states you can also keep a handgun loaded in your vehicle or carry one in the open at 18. In Tennessee, you can carry a handgun at 18 while sport shooting, camping, fishing, hunting, your domicile, business. You pretty much have to transport your handgun unloaded in your vehicle because you can't get a permit to carry until 21. You'll have to buy your handgun out of the newspaper/private sale. Have fun with your handgun and check the different state laws where you go because you may at least be able to keep it loaded in your vehicle in other states.

Guest Brierbo11

Thanks for all the positive feedback on this subject guys. I really appreciate it. I am now looking into getting a handgun and take a two hour personal instruction on hand gun safety. Thanks for all the help and feedback.