Buying Used from Pawn Shops

dbla

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

This was my experience with buying a used handgun ftf.

Long story short: The dude told me out right "he was a fellon and a drug dealer and sells a hell of a lot of pot". With this information I was still not sure of buying the glock from him but a G19 for $225 I made the deal. As it turns out, I have a friend in the Blount County Sherrifs Dept and I asked him to run the numbers. He told me that if they came back as stolen or used in a crime he would have to confiscate it from me. I waited about a month and had the numbers run and as luck was on my side it came up clean. So you just never know. He still has a Sig Im wanting but he has not decided to come off it just yet. By the way I did get a bill of sale from him and did verify his ID.

Hold on, the guy actually told you he was a felon? You are aware that it is a felony for a convicted felon to be in possession of a firearm, right? I'm pretty sure buying a firearm from one isn't exactly kosher as well. Unless he's had his rights restored, which is pretty unlikely considering he still sells "a hell of a lot of pot", I'd stay away from that guy and any gun he has like it was the plague.

Edited by bkelm18
Is it more or less an instant process to run the serial numbers if you call the local sherrif's office? Just curious at this point, but I figure it doesn't hurt to be safe if the occasion comes around.

Did you wait the month in case it had just been stolen recently and not yet reported?[/quote

To be honest I waited the month just to prepare myselsf of the fact that I could loose it when I had the numbers run.

The only problem with calling in the numbers before it was in my possesion was that if the numbers came back bad, I would have to detain the individual somehow until the cops could get there and take him or her and the firearm in question. I was not willing to put myself in that situation. Again I have a friend with the BCSO and this information is from him. It was easier to just buy it get his info and carry on. If after I had bought it and the numbers came up bad I simply had to turn it in and show the bill of sale and thats that. Again all this information from a deputy friend of mine.

Hold on, the guy actually told you he was a felon? You are aware that it is a felony for a convicted felon to be in possession of a firearm, right? I'm pretty sure buying a firearm from one isn't exactly kosher as well. Unless he's had his rights restored, which is pretty unlikely considering he still sells "a hell of a lot of pot", I'd stay away from that guy and any gun he has like it was the plague.

I agree and had some akward feelings about the purchase but, when he agreed to do the bill of sale that kinda sealed the deal for me. He would have even gone and done a transfer but due to his history he could not.

So now the pistol is in good hands and I carry it every third week. Been a great shooter

too.

Edited by z90HD
added last sentance
Guest mikedwood

Yeah that would scare me off in every way possible.

As for guns in a Pawn Shop or person to person seems like most of the time guns are about the same price, used ones aren't often much cheaper than new ones so...

I look them over best as I know how for action and rust, barrel and such.

Also

I look for extras like a better than average scope, night sights, cases, holsters, extra mags and ammo in on the deal.