Reloading Shotgun Shells

Hello,

I have never reloaded, but been saving what I can in case I start.

As far as shotgun shells, I know you have to be careful because the brass bases are different depths on different shells. I was saving the 7-1/2 shot trap loads that I shoot at the range, but if they can't be reloaded with something more like #4 or 00 buck, I'll probably just toss them (the 7-1/2 shells are 25 cents.... not worth reloading). Is there any way to tell what you can actually reload in a shell? Is it the grains of powder, or shot, or a combination of the two?

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go buy a Lyman #5 Shotshell Loading Guide. It has color pictures of most all modern shells that can be reloaded. There is a whole section on loading buckshot and slugs. Loading a shotshell is just like baking a cake. Follow the recipe exactly. Don't add more of one item or another, or substitute components.

A lot of the hulls you find at the skeet/trap field are not worth reloading. I load mostly AA hulls and Remington Gun Club/STS hulls.

Where are you located and what range do you shoot trap on? There should be lots of knowledgeable reloaders at your club.

Good luck with you reloading.

Where are you located and what range do you shoot trap on? There should be lots of knowledgeable reloaders at your club.

Good luck with you reloading.

I'm in Murfreesboro and I went to the one about 10 miles south of town with a friend years ago. I shot at the OK Corral a couple of weeks ago. I don't shoot trap (at least currently :-] ) I have some 00 buck for self defense but was shooting the 7-1/2 at the range just cause it was cheap fun. The 00 buck was nearly $1/rd at walmart, while the trap load was $22.50/100.

If I can't reload them with anything more expensive I'll just write them off totally as $13 per 50-round outing. Just figured I'd check before I throw them away. I'll go research some more (and look for the book you referenced).

Edit. I can't add. That price is about right.

I hope you didn't shoot your shotgun on the pistol range. Someone did and the owner was really pissed at the damage done!

No sir. I called before ever going to see if they were open because it was a couple of weeks ago before more information started appearing on here. I asked about shotguns because all I saw on the video about the range posted on YouTube was pistol and rifle ranges. He said it was ok to shoot shotguns at the embankment at the back of the parking area. When I went my GF and I were the only ones there, so since it wouldn't bother anyone else, we took him up on that and shot into the rock embankment.

Found some promising discussion here: Can I load buckshot in trap shells? - Shooters Forum

Needless to say I'm not going to do anything before consulting a real reference like the lyman book. And I'm not to the point of reloading yet... just trying to figure out if I should be saving the shells :-)

Looks like an ounce of shot is around 40 cents, so with that, the wad, powder, etc.... maybe not even that much savings.

The last time I checked (about a year ago), unless you're buying components in bulk and getting great deals, it's cheaper to buy 12 gauge field and target loads than to reload them. I've been reloading for 30 years and I can't beat $5 a box at Sportsman's Warehouse. I could beat it 30 years ago, but the cost of components has gone up while the cost of loaded ammo has stayed pretty constant.

Where I CAN save money is in reloading .410's - they're $12 a box and up.

The height of the brass on the hulls has nothing to do with the strength or reloadability of the hulls. Winchester AA and Remington STS hulls are the easiest to reload, other brands less so.

Guest vthokies03

Many reload shot shells because of the pure number of shells they shoot a year. Unless you are going to shoot thousands of buckshot loads a year, it would be cheaper to purchase the shells than reload.

The only shot shells I reload is .410.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess maybe I won't keep them. I figured I would keep shooting the cheap trap shot at the range for fun, and if it was cheap enough to do so, reload the spent shells with buckshot for self defense in the case of a disaster type situation. But if it's not much cheaper, I'll stick to buying the buckshot.

This looks to be toward the cheaper end...50rd - 12 Gauge RIO High Power 00 Buckshot 9 pellet | SGAmmo.com from what I read, Rio doesn't reload well, but then we just decided reloading wasn't all that practical.

Guest vthokies03

Rio is good ammo, that is mainly what I shoot.

If you reload rio, your best bet is to get rio 209 primers. Rios have a little bit larger primer pocket.

Rio is good ammo, that is mainly what I shoot.

If you reload rio, your best bet is to get rio 209 primers. Rios have a little bit larger primer pocket.

Thanks,

Went ahead and picked some of these up (shells not primers). Will probably shoot a handful to make sure my gun cycles them well and then keep the rest on the shelf.

While I was shopping (paying shipping), I looked for a deal on the cheaper shells around the #7 range, that I would shoot for fun, but it seems Wal-Mart's price is pretty competitive with mail-order.

ETA: Got an email from SGAmmo.com an hour after the order that the status was changed to "complete" so I assume that means it shipped already!

Edited by Guest

Package came from SGammo today. Fast shipping. It looks, as far as I can tell, like the Rio Royal Buck is not reloadable? It has a plastic tray of sorts that looks like it was laid in, rather than the crimping of the hull like most shot shells. Not a big deal as I was going to save this stuff in case it was ever needed for HD, but figured I'd let others know, and perhaps be corrected if I'm wrong about this.... which is not unlikely :-)