Help picking out 1911

TLRMADE

Well... That 1911 isn't a SA. That was the pic I posted of my Nighthawk Custom T3. I actually changed the grips to the ultrathin Nighthawk Alumagrips. The Alien grips were just a little too much for my taste.

In regards to your price range, I wouldn't rule out the new Ruger 1911. It is considerably cheaper than $1k. A lot of people who have bought one really like them.

Ohhh haha I know I was just using it for a color reference with the frame and grips. I like the darker colored frames!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a guy who likes the all, especially 1911's, all the choices mentioned are really great firearms; but I lean more toward a Springfield or a Sig. TRP is wonderful. The LW Loaded Chanpion Operator is a favorite of mine. And the Sig RCS is really great. Now looking at a 5" Sig for the collection.

Guest TresOsos
If I were trying to choose a 1911, I would narrow it down to the true 1911's: those with an internal extractor, which was JMB's original design.

Anything else is a 1911 variant, IMO.

Have to agree with DaddyO here,,,external extrractors rule out S&W and Sig.

Stay away from Kimbers they are all looks, more show than go.

Personally for a first 1911 I'd go with a standard Colt Gov't Model in that price range.

They hold their resale value better and you'd have a good base to build on if you wanted to do that

in the future.

Always such hate for the Kimber but an over-exaggerated love for Colt or Springfield....I've owned them all and although I carry a Colt now, my absolute favorite gun to shoot was the Kimber Custom II, for a gun in that price range.

Kimbers are an incredibly accurate gun (mechanically accurate that is) with a lot of features for a relatively low price. Throw some Wilson Combat 47D's on there and you're good to go. I found the mechanical accuracy of Colt 70 and 80, SA GI, Loaded, and TRP, to be lacking compared to the basic Custom II.

If you aren't going to war with this thing, then Kimber is the way to go and easy to sell as well if you get tired of it. They are tack drivers out the box.

Guest TresOsos
Always such hate for the Kimber but an over-exaggerated love for Colt or Springfield....

Kimbers are an incredibly accurate gun (mechanically accurate that is) with a lot of features for a relatively low price.

If you aren't going to war with this thing, then Kimber is the way to go and easy to sell as well if you get tired of it. They are tack drivers out the box.

Glad you like them, it's not Kmimber hate, it's just my honest assesment of the over all quality of the brand.

You're defenition of accuracy and what I'd consider accurate differ.

I agree I would not carry one into harm's way.

I could not in good conscience ever advise someone to spend their hard earned money on a Kmimber, any Kmimber.

Punctuation is a wonderful thing.

...,with over 3000 rounds, every day!

Sheesh. You carry over 3000 rounds with you everyday? Man, you must be strong as an ox. or

You have shot over 3,000 rounds through your Kimber, and it is your EDC. ?

:D Just messing with ya.

Sheesh. You carry over 3000 rounds with you everyday? Man, you must be strong as an ox. or

You have shot over 3,000 rounds through your Kimber, and it is your EDC. ?

:D Just messing with ya.

It would have to mean that he is carrying that many rounds.............. Evidently, kimbers wont run that many rounds.:D Lumber Jack you KNOW I'm kidding.;)

Guest TresOsos
Quick...., Somebody call LAPD SWAT & the SIS unit and tell them that their Kimbers can't be carried during their next shift!!!!! :)

ooooooooowwwwwwwwww I'm impressed....not.