.22WMR Derringers

dbla

Anyone have any experience with the various .22 mag derringers? Thinking of getting one as a backup/car pistol.

I've also been looking at the Bond Arms Derringers too in .357 mag. Anyone got any experiences with them?

-Aaron

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NAA mini revolver in .22 mag is a fine little pistol. I've carried one for years.

The NAA Mini is indeed very fine, and well made.

It is extremely concealable. You can pretty much always find a way to carry it.

My NAA is in my pocket right now. I really like being able to load rat shot in it for the first round or two to keep with me around the farm or on the river in the summer time. This allows for snake prevention as well as a few more rounds for two leg deterrent during the summer.

I've got the NAA 22 mag/22 lr combo and a Bond Arms 45LC/410 snake slayer (only two but up close, that's all you'd need--whew!). Love them both, but usually only "wear" the BA when in the car. Can't beat the NAA for concealment. If you're set on 22WMR, then as others have already said, go NAA.

Yep, doesn't make much sense getting a two shot .22 mag gun when you can have 5 with the NAA in same or smaller size package.

- OS

On that note, I had a 2 shot .22 derringer and took a picture of it next to my 380. The 380 is bigger of course, but not by much. There are a number of even smaller 32s and such, NAA has a semi auto 32 IIRC. In the derringer sized package, you can get a numbr of 5 or so shot guns, many of them autos so your spare mags take you to 10 or 15 rounds easily. Now, the big derringers, the mags and so on, well take a look at what happens to a 44 magnum --- in a 2 inch barrel it has the SAME or LESS energy as a 9mm in a 2 inch barrel. The 357 also has less than a 9mm in a 2 inch barrel. I dunno what causes that, type of powders used, but look it up if you want, its not helping to go mag in a tiny gun. So my advice is to look up some data, then shop again well informed about what you are getting into.

I have heard rumors that NAA is developing a Mini in 32 magnum. I hope they can work in out. I love the little NAA minis I just can't justify one right now.

NAA had a project going a few years back to develop a .32 mini revolver. That project has pretty much fallen by the wayside. Sandy Chisholm - the company president - gave this update on the project in his 'Sandy's Soapbox' page on NAA's company website. As you can see, this update was from February 2007 so it has apparently been a while since that project went on 'hiatus'.

Sandy's Soapbox February 2007

Update on the 32 H & R Magnum Mini-Revolver

As promised last month, I'm writing to advise the NAA community of the status of the long-running 32H&R project.

At this point, we are suspending our efforts on the continuing development of this proposed new product. This does not necessarily mean that the project is dead, but only that it is no longer a priority. There is no schedule or anticipation it will be revived in the foreseeable future.

Notwithstanding the substantial time and effort which has already been invested, we have determined that it would take still a great amount of both in order to make this product "market-ready". In reaching this decision, we feel that we may have made a mistake in our analysis of the market and that further investment would not be time or money well spent. Pretty simple. We apologize for whatever disappointment any of you might feel and appreciate the encouragement and support that many of you offered in this pursuit.

As for a Derringer sized handgun, I wouldn't mind having one of the old double-action High Standard ones in WMR. Other than that, I'll take my NAA mini any day over a two-shooter. Not only does it hold more rounds but I also believe it to be of better quality and more safe to load and carry than most of the comparably priced two-shooters I have seen. I don't consider mine to be a 'primary' carry in any way although it is sometimes the only gun I have on me when sitting around watching TV at home. I do like it as a little backup with recoil low enough that I have confidence in my ability to shoot it weak-handed even if I were shooting from an awkward position, injured, etc. Also, just like dats82, I like to carry shotshells as the first one or two up during the summer months. This lets me be prepared in case I have to defend against a venomous snake (I don't go hunting them but I'm not getting bitten, either) without sacrificing SD rounds in my primary.

I made a leather pocket holster for mine that holds ten extra rounds (the strip of leather on the front of the holster is to reinforce an area where I got a little overly zealous in punching stitch holes in leather that is lighter than what I usually use)

NAAinholster.jpg

OpenHolster.jpg

I was concerned that the oversized grips would negatively impact the ability to conceal the NAA but have found that it still hides just as well in a pocket. The oversized, rubber grips really aid in controlling the little beastie.

Edited by JAB
Does anyone have one of the NAA top break WMRs?

I wanted one of the Ranger models when I first heard they were coming. I thought it might be faster/easier to load than my take-the-cylinder-out model. When they actually came out, however, NAA decided to make them a 'limited production' item which drove the price up to more than I was willing to pay for a mini revolver. My understanding is that the production run has ended, already.

The Rangers are out of stock at Bud's but the 'last price' is listed at $450. There are two listed on Gun Broker - the current bid for the first is $1,385.00. The current bid on the second is $850.00. I like my mini a whole lot. I imagine I'd really like a top break version - but not nearly that much. I got my WMR only, 1 5/8 inch barrel 'standard' model used for $160. I added the oversized grips later and still have under $200 in it. If I were going to get another, I'd probably go for the black widow just for the two inch barrel and better sights.

Edited by JAB