9mm +p+ Stovepiping a G26

Shot some new loads through my Glocks a little while ago. The ammunition in question is 127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger T-Series. Shot through the G17 and G19 with absolutely zero problems. However, with the G26, I have stovepipe/FTE issues on 6 of 20 rounds. To be fair, the first 10 came out of a 33 rd magazine, while the last 10 came out of a standard G26 magazine. FTEs were split evenly among the two magazines. I would have a FTE, clear it, shoot 2-3 more rounds, then FTE again.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any reason for G26 problems vs G17/G19? Is +P+ too hot for a G26? All weapons are 3rd generation, excellent shape, and relatively low round count. Stock standard factory internals.

Also of note, when clearing the stovepipe/FTEs, the first few took several quick pulls of the slide after removing the magazine. The last ones, upon magazine removal, the empty case just fell out along with the magazine - no slide movement necessary.

Thanks for the input and advice!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lighter spring in that model, or just shorter lighter slide?

Meaning, +p+ could be over-driving slide, slide moving too fast for round to eject?

- OS

With that in mind, should I be looking for a stronger spring, thus countering the over-drive effect of +P+?

I'm certainly not limp wristing, as I have a very strong and firm grip on the weapon.

With that in mind, should I be looking for a stronger spring, thus countering the over-drive effect of +P+?

I'm certainly not limp wristing, as I have a very strong and firm grip on the weapon.

Well, yeah, in theory, if that is indeed the prob, but you might run into similar prob shooting lowest power target rounds with a stronger spring, too, dunno.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Well, yeah, in theory, if that is indeed the prob, but you might run into similar prob shooting lowest power target rounds with a stronger spring, too, dunno.

- OS

I can always change springs when shooting target loads. The +P+ is some really awesome stuff. Recoil wasn't bad at all. Expansion tests I have seen posted online put it at .65"-.67" when it's said and done.

I can always change springs when shooting target loads. The +P+ is some really awesome stuff. Recoil wasn't bad at all. Expansion tests I have seen posted online put it at .65"-.67" when it's said and done.

Awesome.

Well, I certainly don't know, and I'm not a Glockster. But I believe I might call them and see if they'll send a standard replacement spring just to see if it's as per Gtodalep's post before I started looking for a stiffer one?

Dunno if I'd mention +p+, though, they'll probably just say don't use it. :bat:

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
If it is indeed a spring issue, check with Wolff. You can get an assortment of springs and find what works.

Springs for GLOCK Semi-Auto Pistols

Thanks for the link. Now that has me thinking: What is the standard factory spring strength? Are they the same for a G17/G19/G26? If they are, then the length of the slide (i.e. time for ejection) has everything to do with it.

Regardless of factory spring settings (weaker/stronger according to model), I theorize as follows:

-G17/G19 spring strength are at acceptable levels, as there were no problems, even in rapid-fire mode.

-Length of slide in a G17/G19 are sufficient for proper ejection.

-Length of slide directly translates to time for ejection.

-G26 must have a stiffer spring to offset the shorter slide, i.e. time for ejection

-Correct G26 spring strength should fall into a range, per this theoretical formula:

Minimum: G19 barrel length divided by G26 barrel length -- 4.02/3.46 = [1.162x G19 spring strength]

Maximum: G17 barrel length divided by G26 barrel length -- 4.49/3.46 = [1.298x G17 spring strength]

If the theory is correct, that should give a range to play with and hopefully fix the problem. Any insight, second guessing, etc., is welcome.