Drawing your hand gun

I carry a Glock 30 in a crossbreed supertuck. When practicing drawing my firearms, for some reason, I switched up how I draw it out. Instead of taking full grip on the actual grip (thumb wrapped around), I put my thumb on the rear sights and as I pull it up transition my thumb to a normal grip. Doing it this way has saved time on the initial draw and feels more natural to me...I hope that all makes sense. So is that a bad thing? I know it's not a standard draw but how I wear my CB (4 o'clock) it works for me. Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a Glock 30 in a crossbreed supertuck. When practicing drawing my firearms, for some reason, I switched up how I draw it out. Instead of taking full grip on the actual grip (thumb wrapped around), I put my thumb on the rear sights and as I pull it up transition my thumb to a normal grip. Doing it this way has saved time on the initial draw and feels more natural to me...I hope that all makes sense. So is that a bad thing? I know it's not a standard draw but how I wear my CB (4 o'clock) it works for me. Thoughts?

Have you tried this while in a struggle? I only bring it up due to the loss of fine motor control during times of elevated stress. The firing grip you have out of the holster is all the grip you will be able to get on the pistol.

Mike

I do the same thing. I had trouble getting my thumb down around the grip and had to readjust before I had a comfortable grip. While watching the Crossbreed commercial on TV, I noticed the guy does that. So I tried it and found that it helped. I think of it more as putting my thumb against the back of the slide. As the gun clears the holster, my thumb comes down/around and catches the safety fairly naturally. I'm sure I don't practice it enough, but the improvement was immediate when I switched.

I had not paid any attention until you brought this up. I break it from my Crossbreed as if it had a thumb break {fingers in full grip thumb to left side of slide} as it clears and I tilt the gun to a forward position my thumb slides down to disengage the safety and acquire a full grip position. Probably a habit picked up from carrying my HP 335. I guess old habits die hard…LOL

I do not feel the grip is compromised as I have all my fingers securely around it and as the gun begins to clear the holster my thumb is securely on the side of the slide. I do not have my thumb directly on top of the rear sight, it is more like a roll/push as to release a thumb break and disengage a safety. Over all I can not complain as I did not have to make any modifications to my draw stroke for the LC9 I picked up for deeper concealment and BUG.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I cut a chunk out of my Crossbreed to allow a full grip when drawing my Kahr. I do put my thumb back there when holstering my Glock, though. The Glock lives in a full leather holster that's fairly snug, so it's just my way of making sure it stays completely in battery.

I didn't think it was notworthy enough for a threat but I recently decided to give my Crossbreed a little trim when I realized that I couldn't draw from it as well as I can with my Galco summer comfort IWB. My CB is now midway between a normal and a "combat cut" from CB. I did the cut with some sharp kitchen shears and, for me, it took nothing away from the comfort of the holster.

I've been working on timed speed draw and taking an ACCURATE first shot.

If you don't have a grip established on the draw, the tendency is that the first shot alignment is off.

Now, you might not notice if you aren't going for a fast (under 1.75 sec) time AND with an accurate and Aimed (using sights) shot.

What I'm doing is my thumb goes behind the leather and is in position when the gun clears.

So my thumb is running along my waistband while clearing my shirt.

An aggressive forward stance exposes the grip more.