S&W 617, Ruger SP101, or Taurus 94 .22's For Wife  

20 members have voted

1. 1. S&W 617, Ruger SP101, or Taurus 94 .22's For Wife

• S&W 617 .22
    • Ruger SP101 .22
    • Taurus 94
    • Other

S&W 617, Ruger SP101, or Taurus 94 .22's For Wife

My wife has gone shooting with me and friends several times and is recoil/blast sensitive. She wants a .22 revolver to get comfortable with before moving up to a larger caliber.

She likes revolvers better and I currently have a .357 Ruger Security Six 6" barrel, .357 SP101 3" barrel and a LCR.

I am thinking of getting her the S&W 617 because I believe it o be the better "target" pick of the 3. I would love to have her try them all and pic what she wants but that's very difficult because the gun stores I go to don't have any of them and would have to order.

S&W 617

Ruger SP101 .22

Taurus 94

What' your opinion?

Sigbear

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know your wife better than any of us, but I still think it's a huge mistake to pick a handgun for someone else. But, sometimes, that pays off for people like me, when I go to the LGS and they have one that a husband sold back to them because he bought it for his wife and she told him to get rid of it, and I get it for a good price. :shrug:

just got an SP101 in 22 cal and love it. Smith makes a great gun but I decided on the Ruger because I will carry alot in the woods and wanted a tough kit gun. Ruger is a tough as you can get. I will admit that it has a pretty hard double action trigger pull but the single action is fine. Let her handle both guns. I would not even consider the Taurus because of their poor customer service. I speak 1st hand on that one.

On this I'd go with the SP101 because of it's grip size and ease of use for small and large handed shooter's. I would also go ahead and get a Wolff Spring kit for it in order to provide a more user friendly trigger pull. What you'll end up with is a very nice field and plinking revovler that both of you will use. BTW this wasn't an easy decision because I'm a true blue S&W wheel gun guy, I just see the SP101 as a better choice.

On this I'd go with the SP101 because of it's grip size and ease of use for small and large handed shooter's. I would also go ahead and get a Wolff Spring kit for it in order to provide a more user friendly trigger pull. What you'll end up with is a very nice field and plinking revovler that both of you will use. BTW this wasn't an easy decision because I'm a true blue S&W wheel gun guy, I just see the SP101 as a better choice.

I installed the spring kit from wolff. I love it except I could not use the 9 or 10 lb hammer spring. I used the 12 lb spring without any problems. The lighter springs gave me light primer strikes but the 12 lb spring works fine. I did polish all the trigger parts which made a huge difference. I love this little revolver and yes, the smaller grip might work better for your wife....

I have the Taurus tracker in 22lr and at first I was impressed (key word, 'at first'). It's accurate; trigger was good if you cock it first. really handsome gun (still my avatar/pic on left as of now).

Then I picked up a SW 686 and the Taurus is just dull in comparison. Literally too (they have this matte finish). Trigger/action is just not even a comparison. The fit and finish on a quality handgun will show. Just moving the 'cycling the cylinder' (is that what you call it) on the SW is pure pleasure.

A Taurus is like driving a nice Honda Civic (no offense, I drive one) all these years; know it'll work if needed, Then step into an Acura or Lexus and you notice the smoother ride and better performance, nice little touches like seat warmers. There is a difference that you get when you pay more. Now I reckon there is a difference between the $600-$700 SW to a $1000 handgun...much like there is a difference between a Lexus and a BMW.

I've not met many women that had a problem with a round butt K frame grip. It's not very big.

Mike

I've not met many women that had a problem with a round butt K frame grip. It's not very big.

Mike

Your correct about the S&W K-frame round butt but take a closer look at the SP101 side by side with a K-frame round butt. Then look at the different replacement grips for each revolver. I think that you'll find that the out of the box Ruger grip's are very comfortable and a little shorter than the S&W. This work's out pretty well for larger hand's as the little finger find a natural rest under the grip. Bear in mind these comment's are coming from a guy who think's the S&W round butt M-10, M-12 and M-19 are the best gun's S&W has ever produced and who also believe's that the M-15 2" is the best of the best.

I have a 617 and a SP101. The Ruger will need an action tuning if you plan to shoot a lot of double action. The Smith is almost a pound heavier and will cost you quite a bit more. Recoil is not a factor with either firearm. I would suggest you let the wife handle and, if possible, shoot both. Let her make the decision. My wife prefers the Ruger and I prefer the Smith.

Guest agt.dealer

my wife loves her s&w 642 i think it is,air weight .38 stainless with the pretty pink grips!!!lol!!we had it ported and she's a pee shooter with it!!!

I own a 6" 617 and it's great to shoot. I used to own a Taurus 94. It was 100% reliable and fun to shoot single action, but the DA pull is awful. I haven't had a chance to try an SP101 in .22lr, but I'd love to try one.

That said, if at all possible let your wife try them out, don't pick a gun for someone else.

I picked up the new Taurus 992 convertible in 4inch. It comes with a magnum cylinder also. The cylinders swap out easy and fast.I bought it to mimic the revolvers we carry. Cheap to shoot in Rimfire but has that extra bang in magnum. Hands down the smiths,rugers work better etc. But watching the wife actually enjoy firing a gun is priceless.

*not expecting much from the Taurus I was suprised how well it worked. DA pull is fine and the SA breaks crisp. I expected to work on the trigger but it's pretty good from the box.

Edited by Tncobra