Tanning your deer hide...

With some sort of deer hunting now in full swing, lets talk again about tanning your hide. I have posted many articles about this, but one thing comes to mind.

Several folks have mentioned that the "entrance or exit" wound was too big to tan for a nice hide.

Well, that's not entirely true. Take your hide, tan as per my instructions and deal with your holes in the hide.

1. Take each hole, and on the "flesh side" of the hide, draw in a shape of a "football", with the hole in the center. Using a very sharp knife, cut through the hide, being careful not to cut the hair, and cut out your "football" shaped hole.

2. Stitch the hole closed, and you will never know.

3. The "football" shaped cut will allow the hide to lie flat and no one will ever know!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

OK, what do you do with a deer hide after its all done? I'm not being facetious. I'm just wondering what one does with them. Make a hat? Shoes? Murse?

If tanning a hide "hair on" you can use it however you choose. I nice "rug", a throw on the couch or even a pair of nice "winter" underwear. Your choice.

If tanning leather, mocs, shooting bags, leggings, g-strings, thongs....it is only limited to you imagination!

Guest adamoxtwo

If you make a purse (or Satchel for those Metrosexual folks out there) out of your tanned leather is it still considered a purse or can you claim it to be something more man like?

Guest capt usa

My son rides bulls and is needing a new glove, they are really expensive (since you only get one). He killed a buck on the juvenile hunt and wanted to make a riding glove out of it (a friend of his is going to tan it). Any tips on how to size the glove so it'll fit when he sews it together? Thanks in advance for any help.