Sling for Shotgun - 2 or 3 point, rings, brand, etc

Hello,

I am looking for a sling for Remington 870 express 18" with 2-rd mag extension. I liked the idea of the 3-pt sling because of the number of carry positions, and it seems like the sling that would allow the least gun "flop" during movement. However, I've had some real trouble finding this.

The only issue I've heard is a couple guys saying the 3-point got in the way of the slide. Is this a major concern or should I be fine?

The Outpost Armory and OnTarget didn't even have 3-pt slings, although the gentleman at OnTarget nicely wrote down a recommendation after saying he wished they could carry them there. Greene's Military and Police, which caters to LEO and tactical people had a 3-pt for $16.95 (Condor maybe?). The guy at Greenes told me I didn't want to buy that sling though. It had the straps that wrap around the buttstock and a pair of short straps with velcro that wrap around the mag extension (or barrel?). He said the sling would be too loose around the mag and thus would slip and make it hard to use. He suggested I get rings and a sling that uses them. What sling would this be? (preferrably the most economical one if there are multiples).

Also, I'll need an adapter to put a ring near the action group. I can't find these.... what term should I be searching, and being mechanically-inclined can I do this at home?

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep..it matters.

If you sling blocks your light that is a problem.

If you get a "Tri Rail" mount, it clamps to your Tube and let's you mount a light to one side (missing your sling).

Some 3 point slings run down the weak side of the gun...if you use a Sidesadlle to hold extra rounds, that is a problem.

The other thing to watch out for is length.

I have a Mossberg 20" with lugs at either end.

I bought a sling that turned out to be too short.

Guest GunTroll

I think you could figure a way to use the new magpul sling. I forget the model but its single point/double point convertible. I used a CC&G (? could be wrong there) sling adapter that fits between the butt and receiver. Its a loop design. If you put a rail up front, then you could probably figure a way to attach the magpul forward sling loop. I'm sorry I do not know the names of these items I'm referencing. Their is only so much room in my brain for the names of tactical accessories and I am maxed out :) .

Thanks for all the info guys!

I think I am going to pick up one of the $15 Condor 3-point slings. May work for me, may not. At least I'll figure out what I do/don't like about the 3-pt. I'd rather figure some of this stuff out with a cheap sling than go straight for the $50 slings without a better idea of what I want/need. After I try this out, I'll see what else is out there, maybe give all the slings (1,2,3 pt) a try.

If you see this in time.....

Look at Blueforce Gear.

Yes, it's $50 but you can make it into 1 point, 2 point, or 3 point.

The idea behind was that you could take that sling with you not knowing WHAT you were going to carry but it would work with everything.

As long as the mount is ok for you, it should work however you want.

Once you determine WHY you want a sling it will get easier to get a cheap one.

I know I only want a sling to free up my hands when I'm not shooting but don't want to set the Gun down.

I like 'African Carry'. I don't want to carry extra rounds on my sling.

So a simple 2 point totally does the job for me.

Guest hawkeye10

:) I

don't have a sling on my home defense shotgun. I think they could get in the

way. One situation you could be in is; A guy breaks into your house and

is coming after you. You have your shotgun in hand and running to another room

to take cover. The sling gets hung on a chair or door knob and jerks the gun out

of your hand or takes you and the gun to the floor. You lost!!! Don

3 point slings have gone to the wayside for a reason. They do nothing that a good 2 point sling won't do and they often interfere with the operation of the weapon.

I'm not sure how many carry options you think you need but let me assure you you won't be doing any crazy sling manipulations when something is happening and your adrenaline is keyed up. As to sling mounts, it's hard to beat 550 cord. It's versatile, field expedient, and very inexpensive. Learn the prussik hitch, it won't move.

Simple is better.

Me personally, I run the same single point sling on every rifle and shotgun I own with one exception.

Mike

Thanks for the good points guys. I'm mainly looking for something to allow me to carry the weapon / hold it while freeing my hands.

As for them grabbing the sling, I'm just theorizing, but letting them grab a sling is probably better than them reaching for the barrel!

It's not permanent and it's a $15 experiment so I think I'll still go that route. Even if I end up with the $50 one shortly down the road, I'll have the 3-point on hand if it was needed for something. I appreciate all the insights so far! After I do some experimenting with the slings I'll try to post back my observations on each... didn't see much about this already discussed.

Edit: Mike and I were typing at the same time. A couple of things I noticed about 3-point slings:

1) some let you turn it into a "1-pt" style sling on the fly by loosening an attachment point so you can go to weak side, etc.

2) I like the behind-the back carry presented here around 2:10 in which the muzzle is not down in the dirt. Will a 2-pt sling do this as well?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest
Guest hawkeye10
Well...THAT seems a bit on the extreme side of "What if?"

A very real issue to think about is that you are giving a 'handle' for your gun to be taken away from you.

But if they're close enough to grab the sling, they are close enough to grab the Barrel.

I agree with you it is an extreme "What if" but how many of us have had a home invasion? We all prepare for the what if's in life. Don

Thanks for the good points guys. I'm mainly looking for something to allow me to carry the weapon / hold it while freeing my hands.

As for them grabbing the sling, I'm just theorizing, but letting them grab a sling is probably better than them reaching for the barrel!

It's not permanent and it's a $15 experiment so I think I'll still go that route. Even if I end up with the $50 one shortly down the road, I'll have the 3-point on hand if it was needed for something. I appreciate all the insights so far! After I do some experimenting with the slings I'll try to post back my observations on each... didn't see much about this already discussed.

Edit: Mike and I were typing at the same time. A couple of things I noticed about 3-point slings:

1) some let you turn it into a "1-pt" style sling on the fly by loosening an attachment point so you can go to weak side, etc.

2) I like the behind-the back carry presented here around 2:10 in which the muzzle is not down in the dirt. Will a 2-pt sling do this as well?

Thanks!

Any decent 2 point will allow you to put the rifle around your back like that.

I run a blue force gear Vickers sling on my RPK. It allows the rifle to be put behind you.

Mike

Any decent 2 point will allow you to put the rifle around your back like that.

Forgive my ingnorance, but then other than the ability to quickly transition to a single-point on the fly, what is the whole point of a 3-point? What does it do that a 2-point doesnt? Maybe I'm missing something

Well...THAT seems a bit on the extreme side of "What if?"

A very real issue to think about is that you are giving a 'handle' for your gun to be taken away from you.

But if they're close enough to grab the sling, they are close enough to grab the Barrel.

If they are grabbing your sling or rifle you have missed your cue to start shooting...