Safety first!

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

No one likes being preached to. I know I don't. But before you pull the trigger, or even before you look down or in your sights remember at least a few things.

1) your scope is not intended to be binoculars! Don't look at me through your scope. I will look back through my scope if I see you do this so you can get reminded why its not cool. If you need to look at your target first before identifying what it is...use some damn binos! That goes for judging the quality of the game as well. Binos don't tend to kill/injure what they are looking at.

2) identify your target and whats behind it (without using a scope sitting on top of a rifle)! While most of the time here in TN we may be in trees or other elevated platforms and our targets are on the ground at a downward angle, you still may get a opportunity to shoot game that is above you. Where is the bullet going after it leaves the game??? Answer...anywhere it wants or can go. Don't shoot animals that are skylined. I might be on the other side of the hill down the way picking my nose or something.

Of course there are many more rules. I was just watching a hunting show and these idiots on the show broke both of these two so they are on my mind at this time. A state sponsored hunter ED program taught me those two rules 15 years ago or so. These idiots on the show must have skipped or slept through that part of their class or their dad or whatever didn't enforce/teach common sense firearm safety lessons.

That concludes this PSA.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest capt usa

Nothing scarier than having someone "scope" you. A friend of mine was hunting in Georgia with some kinfolk and their neighbors, at midday one day a neighbor asked why they didn't shoot that hog that came by. He said he watched it all through his scope. My friend hunted another section the rest of the week.

Guest adamoxtwo

Just saying if I see someone looking at me through a scope of a Rifle I will take that as a threat on my life and take appropriate actions. However, that can be the fetal position and crying so please use bino's.

In the course of nearly a quarter century as a truck driver, I have constantly been bombarded with THINK SAFETY slogans in the form of signs, posters, etc... and so, a few years back, when a company Safety Director asked what I, as a driver, would change about the safety program, this is what I told him: "First off, I'd get rid of all this "THINK SAFETY" bullcrap." He raised an eyebrow and so I elaborated; "Safety isn't something you should have to think about. It ought to be as natural and automatic as tying your shoes or brushing your teeth or any one of a couple of dozen other daily functions that we do without thought. It may just be a matter of semantics, but if you change the signs to LIVE SAFETY, they'd make more sense to me.

"If you LIVE safety, then you don't have to think about whether or not to watch where you're walking or whether or not it's safe to pull away from a stop sign or whether your speed is too great to negotiate a curve, ad infinitum, ad nauseum... It takes personal integrity and dedication, but in the end the results are better." A week later, all of our THINK SAFETY posters had been removed and replaced with LIVE SAFETY and the ongoing safety program was geared to that approach. And within 6 months our DOT safety rating had improved by 25%.

Seems to me that this should apply, not just to driving a commercial motor vehicle, but to every aspect of our lives... Especially where guns are involved. Then again, I realize that not everyone is going to accept the necessity or even validity of what I've just typed. But, like Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid." Too damn bad, huh?

Great thread!

...TS...

Always be careful loading & unloading your gun too.

My best freind had an accident during the juvinile hunt.

As he was unloading a 30-06 it went off & hit his son below the left knee.

Not pointing blame he was pointing it is a safe direction & his son walked in the path as he was unloading.

I don't want to hear all the bashing about how bad either followed the rules. They both know & are paying for it.

Vanderbilt had to take off his leg just above the left knee.

I just want to put the reminder out there. It can happen any time!

Always be careful loading & unloading your gun too.

My best freind had an accident during the juvinile hunt.

As he was unloading a 30-06 it went off & hit his son below the left knee.

Not pointing blame he was pointing it is a safe direction & his son walked in the path as he was unloading.

I don't want to hear all the bashing about how bad either followed the rules. They both know & are paying for it.

Vanderbilt had to take off his leg just above the left knee.

I just want to put the reminder out there. It can happen any time!

Sorry to hear about your friend. Sad story.... All of us just need reminded how fast things can go sour! We pray he recovers well.

Guest GunTroll

I'm very sorry to hear of the man and son. Having two boys of my own any story of that sort of nature gets to me. I hope all ends well and they are in my thoughts.