SA 1911 ejection issue

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt

I went to the range today, and was about to fire off a few rounds. It has been about 8 weeks since my last range visit where everything functioned properly. When I pull the trigger it goes bang, but does not rack the slide or eject. Any ideas, this boggles me, considering nothing has changed since my last visit to the range... I cleaned her up, and the same problem happened so I'm wondering what could be the problem.... When I manually rack it, the shell flings out like it is supposed to, so I'm thinking that the problem doesn't lie there.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FiddleDog

The thing that cycles the slide on a short recoil system is the bullet leaving the barrel (as opposed to a blowback system). If the slide has not moved when the bullet has left the barrel, then it will not cycle. I'd look at the locking pin or the barrel link first when trying to diagnose the problem.

If you hand cycle the slide, you should notice the barrel tilt up slightly to allow the back end of the barrel clear the ejection port. If the timing is off and the barrel doesn't unlock in time, then it could prevent the slide from cycling.

That's my rough understanding of how it works. I could be totally wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time. I hope that helps.

Guest NashvegasMatt
barrel link ck to make sure your slide lock the pin went through the link maybe this happened after you cleeand it

This could have been possible, but I didn't think the slide would rack if the pin wasn't through the barrel link hole too.... ?!?

Edited by NashvegasMatt
Guest NashvegasMatt
So the gun will fire the round but the slide does not cycle whatsoever? Yet when cycling by hand, there are no perceivable issues?

couldn't have said it better myself.

Well, first you need to go buy a lottery ticket immediately.:2cents:

I'm assuming that you are using factory ammo, the hammer is down after this happens, and the slide stop is through the link??? Usually if the slide stop is not in the link the gun will not go into battery at all.

If so, then it's a pretty safe bet that you have a timing issue. The link is not pulling the barrel down before it hits the VIS (vertical impact surface). Do not shoot this gun. If it is a timing issue you will probably see peening on one or all surfaces of the lugs/barrel feet/VIS.

It's hard to know for sure without putting my hands on it, but you need to take it to be checked/fixed.

Edited by timcalhoun
Guest NashvegasMatt
When you pull the slide back the barrel will come back and then down.

this does not happen, and if it does it is not able to be seen by the naked eye.

Guest FiddleDog

The animation in the prior post is a great way to show hard it is to see the barrel tilt up.

It will be very slight, and it's hard to notice it when you're hand cycling the slide. It only has to dip down enough to clear the front part of the ejection port (8th of an inch or so). It is much more apparent if you look at the top back of the barrel and you slowly cycle it (I don't know if springers have a loaded chamber peep hole, but if they do, that would be the part that I'm talking about). As you start to slowly pull back the slide it will drop down about 1/8 of and inch.

This sounds like the sort of thing that Springfield should cover under warrantee. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a timing issue involving the barrel link.

Edited by FiddleDog
Guest NashvegasMatt
The animation in the prior post is a great way to show hard it is to see the barrel tilt up.

It will be very slight, and it's hard to notice it when you're hand cycling the slide. It only has to dip down enough to clear the front part of the ejection port (8th of an inch or so). It is much more apparent if you look at the top back of the barrel and you slowly cycle it (I don't know if springers have a loaded chamber peep hole, but if they do, that would be the part that I'm talking about). As you start to slowly pull back the slide it will drop down about 1/8 of and inch.

This sounds like the sort of thing that Springfield should cover under warrantee. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a timing issue involving the barrel link.

ok.. after looking at the barrel from the ejection port i can see the barrel lowering about an 8th of an inch to become with the flush with the feed ramp. Is this the desired goal? I guess until I have the funds to go to the range again I won't really know if I was just careless upon initial reassembly or if there is really an issue.

Guest spoolie

If you tore it down (field strip) and put it back together correctly it should fire and function properly. You forgot the take down pin through the barrel link. I've done this once before.