Bow Hunt

Well I went out this morning and got in my stand overlooking the food plot. Right about 7:15, one of the fatest spike bucks I'd ever seen (about 8 inch spikes), I would guess about 130-150 pounds....a "hoss" for a spike. Well, he meandered to withing about 10 yards of my stand, I lowered the crossbow, lined the crosshairs of the scope up and slipped off the safety. I all of a sudden lowered the crossbow and said in a normal voice..."Get out of here"!

I guess I'm getting soft in my old age! I then said.."another day boy, another day". It actually felt good. We're mostly after does anyways.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same way we think. Too many does this year. We've seen some magnificant bucks here lately (two brutes during the youth hunt). We have a mission to take about 10 does off the property. Get a grip slick heads!

Edited by wd-40

I'm usually just after does but I had a buck with a really ugly rack come out in front of my last year, I was hunting our property so I decided to take him out to keep those bad genes from being spread around. As soon as I was eating on him I was regretting it. Does just taste so much better.

Guest GunTroll

Way to go WD! Come out and say it already. It felt good to pass on a dink that may get to be bigger a latter day. Now if we could only get the other unknown number of hunters to get on board the herd will be better for it.

Problem is, we've passed on several young bucks already, but one of the ajoining properties are allowing hunting this year. That spike buck will get toasted by one the owners grandsons if the buck crosses the property line.

If I kill that 1.5 year old buck, then he has zero chance of making 2.5 years old. If I pass on him, he has a better than zero chance of making 2.5. He may get shot by the neighbor, or he may live another year. It's a chance you just have to take.

If I kill that 1.5 year old buck, then he has zero chance of making 2.5 years old. If I pass on him, he has a better than zero chance of making 2.5. He may get shot by the neighbor, or he may live another year. It's a chance you just have to take.

I've seen some beautiful bucks this year. I'm not going to pass on another one. Will be posting a picture here soon.

I generaly take does as I hunt to suplement red meat I havent taken buck off my property in 7 years, the neighbors seem to keep those numbers down already.

Well, Karma being what it is, this fat 7 point scrub fell to the "rage broadhead" at 5:56 pm. 25 yard double lung shot. I guess he "zigged" when he should have "zagged". He followed a doe....bad deal this time of the year! This scrub dressed out at 127 and came off the food plots sniff'in does! Dang women will kill ya everytime! This is my son Rob, with his first ever "bow buck". Awesome...he owes me a steak!!

Robsbuck.jpg

Edited by wd-40
Guest adamoxtwo

That's Awesome! Thursday I took a Doe. She came out with three Does and a Spike, The Spike was a youngin to he got the pass. She was a decent sized Doe probably 110lb area. More Meat for the family. Hit her at 30 Yards with the Crossbow and the Broke my bolt off in her Shoulder! Wasn't happy losing a bolt but was more upset with losing my Broad head! Them little bastards are spendy!