Possession on university campus

At risk of highjacking the thread, I'll give you another example. I recently put antique tags on a car I own. I have the luxury of being able to choose to buy my tags from one of two counties. TN code annotated says that antique car tags are $24 plus any county fees. One county I could buy from added EVERY county fee to the $24 state mandated fee, the other county added nothing but sales tax. So one county had $100 antique car tags, the other county had $30 antique car tags and BOTH ARE LEGAL according to TN state law.

At the risk of continuing any possible hijack....

County and/or city wheel tax really doesn't have anything to do with the law..at least not into relation to interpretation. Some cities and counties charge it...some don't. Those that do there are different amounts. I don't see how that how that has to do with interpretation of the law.

Also exactly how are you able to choose which county you buy tags in? Even if you live in a city that is in two or more counties, your residence is only in one county and that is supposed to be the county you by tags from...at least so I thought. I know I have seen news stories about some counties cracking down on residents buying tags from other counties because it was cheaper. So guess it could be done...but don't think you are legally supposed to.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all you need do is go to the university's website, find their student conduct policy, it will tell you all you need to know. Unless it's a privately funded University and doesn't receive any assistance from the State, all of the rules pertaining to the possession and use of weapons on a public college campus are valid, and will be backed up by the law.

If you still have further doubts, contact the campus PD and request clarification. no weapons allowed anywhere on any campus in the state of the Tennessee, unless it's a privately funded campus.

carrying is not limited to just carrying on your person. carrying means in your vehicle, locker, backpack, laptop bag, gym bag, colostomy bag, barf bag, and any other form of bag, container, holster, lock box, or storage place, vehicle, to include all on campus parking lots, campus buildings, campus apartments, and so on and so forth.

39-17-1309 clearly says it applies to both public and private institutions....

...and "carry" pretty much means on your person, but you are correct in that "possession" doesn't have to be on your person.

My daughter attends UTM and the subject came up with me on campus with an empty holster, UTM does have a program for students that hunt can check weapons with campus security to be used during hunting season. Not sure about the process or ammunition but you can store your weapon at school if you don't have a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest bkelm18

The Harriman campus of my college has signs stating that nothing that could be used as a weapon is allowed on campus, which is pretty ridiculous considering anything can be used as a weapon. I'm pretty sure I could cave someone's head in with my Organic Chemistry book. :up:

....I'd also like to point out that the possession part of this law is a violation of the state Constitution which limits the legislature to regulating the WEARING of weapons.

Clearly. Ban on having loaded guns in vehicles is also clearly unconstitutional.

- OS

I'm sorry but the law seems to be very clear, any property owned by a university is off limits to firearms, with two minor exceptions. While your local campus police force may not attempt to enforce such a law, you're still putting yourself in felony territory by have a firearm on ANY property owned by a University, public or private.

This outdated law doesn't protect anybody, and we should continue to pressure our legislators to make common sense reforms to such a poorly worded law.

I think we are all aware that many times laws are written vaguely on purpose, so they can be used as circumstances see fit. I consulted the Chief of Police for a local university with the question about renting a house from a university and keeping a gun there. His response was "it depends". If there wasn't anything specific written in the lease agreement about guns, and the renter wasn't a student, then in all likelyhood, no one would tell him he couldn't keep a gun there.

At risk of highjacking the thread, I'll give you another example. I recently put antique tags on a car I own. I have the luxury of being able to choose to buy my tags from one of two counties. TN code annotated says that antique car tags are $24 plus any county fees. One county I could buy from added EVERY county fee to the $24 state mandated fee, the other county added nothing but sales tax. So one county had $100 antique car tags, the other county had $30 antique car tags and BOTH ARE LEGAL according to TN state law.

So there is a lot of leeway in the interpretation of these laws and one circumstance is not necessarily like another. So my school's chief doesn't care if a non student renter has a gun, another chief or administrator might say absolutely NO GUNS and BOTH WOULD BE LEGAL.

all you need do is go to the university's website, find their student conduct policy, it will tell you all you need to know. Unless it's a privately funded University and doesn't receive any assistance from the State, all of the rules pertaining to the possession and use of weapons on a public college campus are valid, and will be backed up by the law.

If you still have further doubts, contact the campus PD and request clarification. no weapons allowed anywhere on any campus in the state of the Tennessee, unless it's a privately funded campus.

carrying is not limited to just carrying on your person. carrying means in your vehicle, locker, backpack, laptop bag, gym bag, colostomy bag, barf bag, and any other form of bag, container, holster, lock box, or storage place, vehicle, to include all on campus parking lots, campus buildings, campus apartments, and so on and so forth.

The bold part of the statement above in incorrect, there is no carry on any campus period. The law makes no exception for privately owned schools, all carry/possession is criminal except for exceptions and defenses documented under the law.

Clearly. Ban on having loaded guns in vehicles is also clearly unconstitutional.

- OS

No disagreement from me, the ammo tax, TICS fee, and a number of other laws clearly violate the state constitution, but why be limited by that silly bit of paper? :)

We deserve the government we elect, and having an anti-gun RINO is the governors house, and an anti-gun RINO as the speaker of the house results in us getting no more pro-gun bills through the legislature. How come we can pass major bills in 2008 and 2009, but can't pass anything in 2011? Beth Harwell is the only logical answer.

I remember being in school in the early 90's and being able, per university policy to check my weapons with my dorm's head resident. I'd check the weapon and keep the magazine.

Interesting... My dorm's head resident was a drinking buddy (on a dry campus, in a dry county). I'd consider the gun to be far more safe in my possession than his.