How to pick up brass at an outdoor range?

Hello,

I am going to the OK Corral outdoor range in Woodbury today. First time at an outdoor range.

I want to collect as much of my 9mm and .380 brass as possible. So my first question is, is this practical or will the brass be strewn so far it's not feasible? Normally at indoor ranges most of the brass hits the side of the lane and falls to the ground. Should I lay out a moving blanket to the right of my position to catch the brass? Also, will there be a lot of other brass on the ground, and if there is brass left by others, I assume I can pick it up as well? I don't want to look like a vulcher picking up random brass, but if it was left there, I'd like to have it for potential reloading down the road. The pistol range is 25 yards of gravel and you walk out from the pavillion to as close as you're going to shoot from. So I assume there will be brass scattered all about the gravel.

Also I will be shooting a 12g 870. I have the plastic case ammo from walmart with a target load ($22/100). It looks like from what I read online that if I save the empty plastic casings I could reload these, potentially even with 00 buck?

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the etiquette of brass picking. It is practical to pick up assuming that the range allows it. I have no experience with OK Corral; I have seen some commercial ranges with "if it hits the ground it's ours" policies. Best to simply ask beforehand. A blanket or better yet a large mesh panel with weighted edges can be used to make retrieval easier; just be considerate of other shooters.

Some folks mark their ammo with a permanent marker so they only pick up their brass since they don't know what others' loads are or condition of guns it was fired in.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. I have a couple of moving blankets about 8x12' so I guess I'll lay those down for today.

Of course I will ask anyone before picking up their brass :popcorn:

The range is unattended, so I assume if they want me to leave brass, it will be on a sign listing all the rules. If they don't specify to leave it, and it's no one elses, I'm going to grab all I can, just in case I want to reload in the future. Bought what I have now for about $190 / 1k rds shipped (once fired)

One more Q. If the targets are stationary and you can shoot anywhere from 3-25 yards, say I want to shoot at 10 or 15 and someone is shooting at 25. Do I just wait until they are done shooting to approach to 15?

One more Q. If the targets are stationary and you can shoot anywhere from 3-25 yards, say I want to shoot at 10 or 15 and someone is shooting at 25. Do I just wait until they are done shooting to approach to 15?

Yes. If there's more than one person there, just wait until they take a break and go tell them you'd like to move your target. "Please dont' shoot (me), I'm going to move my target. It'll only take a minute." Most folks are accommodating.

If you're there by yourself, be aware of what you leave laying on your bench when you go downrange. There have been a couple instances (not necessarily at your specific range) of someone walking up while you're changing targets, pointing your own gun at you and asking you to wait while they load your stuff in their truck and drive off.

edit... consider something like this... http://www.ctkprecision.com/brasscatcher.aspx

Edited by peejman

If you're there by yourself, be aware of what you leave laying on your bench when you go downrange. There have been a couple instances (not necessarily at your specific range) of someone walking up while you're changing targets, pointing your own gun at you and asking you to wait while they load your stuff in their truck and drive off.

While I would assume (or hope!) that the risks of that are very low, can I put the empty pistol back in my holster while going downrange? I could keep a loaded mag in another pocket. Just in case someone bad happened to be there... Again, I would hope that never happened but I can see that going on these days.

The OK Corral has brass laying everywhere on the pistol range. Pick up all you want. You will probably be the only person there on a weekday.

Don't shoot anything other than pistols on the pistol range. Great place to shoot!

My girlfriend and I went, and yes we were the only shooters. It's a nice range, and it sure is out in the middle of nowhere!

There was a fair amount off brass on the ground mixed with the gravel. Some of it that I picked up looked decent and some was dinged / corroded. I ended up not messing with it since dusk was approaching and half of it was unusable anyway.

While I would assume (or hope!) that the risks of that are very low, can I put the empty pistol back in my holster while going downrange? I could keep a loaded mag in another pocket. Just in case someone bad happened to be there... Again, I would hope that never happened but I can see that going on these days.

I agree that the risks are low. No issue with having a loaded gun in it's holster downrange. A gun without a magazine (and one in the chamber) is nothing more than an expensive hammer. Either way, if someone were to want your stuff while you're downrange, it's best to let them have it. You're likely outnumbered, outgunned, and have no cover. Chances are slim unless you're Chuck Norris. When shooting alone at a public range, I keep my sidearm ready, and I'm very aware of my surroundings before I go change targets.

I pick up whatever is laying around that i want as long as it doesn't look corroded or full of mud.

You thievin rat! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Remind me to bring my corroded gear and fill my guns with mud before I go downrange. ;)

1gewehr,

That sounds like the right address. It's 4 miles north of downtown Woodbury.

The rules are simple, there were I think 7, mostly just use safe shooting practices. It's $5 cash in the box for as much as you want to shoot all day. It's honor system and hopefully everyone is putting in their $5.00 so this place will stay open. There is a video on YouTube (search OK Corral Shooting Range Woodbury), and it's actually a little nicer now. A wall around the steel targets, a target rack on the right side of the pistols as well. The enclosed rifle benches were all clean and had work area to the rear as well as a few chairs for the concrete shooting benches.

I'm going back when I have a chance!

Alex