Remington M700 SPS Tactical .308

mj12

I'm thinking about picking up one of these for long distance shooting; 450 - 500m. Does anyone have any experience with this particular rifle?

Also, recommendations for scope. I was considering the Nikon Bushmaster 4.5-14x40, or the 6-18x40, but advice from a dealer did not recommend the Nikons. The only reason I'd considered the Nikons is because I'm familiar with the optics they use in camera lenses. I'd like to stick with a variable power with at least a x14, limit the objective to around 40-44mm, to avoid high mounts, and have a 30mm tube.

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy has one with the 20 inch barrel. He loves it; claims he gets sub moa groups at 100m in light to no wind conditions. I've wanted one for a while now but haven't picked one up because I'll end up getting a scope that costs more than the weapon. I don't think you'll have any issues hitting anything out to 500m so long as you know how to call wind.

I'd go with the AAC-SD version of that rifle. The AAC-SD version has a 1:10 twist (rather than the 1:12 of the one you link to) which will better stabilize heavier projectiles, and a threaded barrel, just in case you get an itch for suppresors and/or compensators in the future.

As far as glass goes, I hear Nikon's offerings are worth the price especially for entry level long range shooters, most of the kudos I've heard went to the "Monarch" line.

SWFA's SS 10x42 fixed power offerings start at $299. I know that doesnt fit the specs you refer to, but if I were you I'd check them out.

Thanks for the reply. I'd considered that I would probably end up spending at least the cost of the rifle on a scope... probably more. Prices from local dealers vary from $590 to $690 and I've got a call out to Steve at Specialty Arms.

Regarding "calling the wind", if there's something moving out there, tree leaves, a blade of grass, that's not a problem.

Thanks again m8!

I bought the SPS Tactical in .308. Have not wanted to shell out a bunch of cash for glass until I decide exactly what I need, so I just put a Leupold M223 3-9x40 that I had on an AR. I shot about 40 rounds last weekend at 100 yards and here were my best groups with Federal 150gr soft point ammo from Walmart at 100 yards.

59beccf8.jpg

266d60c6.jpg

I was still sighting the scope in and realized I need some thicker lines at 100 yards to see it well with 9x. I had Federal match ammo in the range bag, but after 40 rounds my shoulder started feeling like mush so I didn't even try them. I also didn't tighten the scope rings well enough because I noticed the rings loosened by the end of the day.

Those are both 3 shot groups by the way.

I have this rifle with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, 30mm tube. I got mine from Midway for around $400. I looked through several other scopes before buying this one and it is equally as clear as any Leupold I looked through. Great scope for the money. I seem to get the best accuracy with either 168gr or 175gr. The only "complaint" I had with it was the bolt lever was a little difficult to cycle do to the closeness to the scope. A bolt knob easily solved that issue though.

Guest HCRoadie

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 12-24 power. very good, budget minded glass. I got mine "lightly" used for $400. I can also recomend SWFA SS scopes. I am using the fixed 20power on a 24" AR. It F*%#ING rocks!

• Admin Team
I gotta ask... how's that Leupold M223 holding up to the recoil of the .308?

I've got one on a 700 LTR in .308. It's held up just fine after a couple of hundred rounds. All you need to do is simply holding a Mark AR scope to know it's overbuilt for .223

Guest FastMover

I also have one of these. I would suggest getting a different stock. The Hogue that comes on it touches the barrel with a bi-pod. I replaced mine with a Remington LTR/HS Precision piece. Mine's done up with a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol optic with a TMR reticle, a O MOA EGW base and a set of medium Weaver rings and a Harris 6-9 swivel and notched bi-pod. The only thing I would change, if had to do it again, would be to get low mount rings. Here's a quick snap of mine.

photobucket-5630-1320259610196.jpg

The Mark AR glass held up fine. I just need to take the tools to tighten the rings with me to the range. I can't imagine they would make it an inferior build based on the caliber it was designed for. You can actually buy caps for different calibers with the M223 for calculating ballistic drop. You send them the calculated drop at different distances, speed, and bullet weight and they can make custom ballistic drop adjustment knobs for elevation and windage. It's calibrated to 55gr .223.

I am a fan of the SPS tact... I dont care for the OEM houge stock that comes on it. The foreend has too much flex unless you add rods and bedding to firm up the tip. For the $$$ it is a fun platform and will serve you well.

Guest GunTroll

Yeah drop the hogue stock as soon as all the other essentials are purchased. Too flexy up front. Bell and Carlson and HS both have reasonably priced "budget" stocks available that will be much better. Lots of HS stocks on GB from folks upgrading from them to whatever.

Guest GunTroll

Here is mine. REM 700 TACTICAL 308 WIN. I changed it a little. Same receiver, bolt assembly, barrel, trigger guard. I trued the action, replaced recoil lug, trigger, stock, cut/threaded for bolt knob and made my own knob to fit. Installed a sako extractor. I then ran out of "free money" and just added a magazine extension to the OEM trigger guard. I'd like to get a Seekins Precision DM that uses the AI mags. I threaded the muzzle for stuff 5/8 24tpi. This is the B&C stock I was referencing. I did my own camo job on it. I don't know the model but I like it. Did a FDE Cerakote over a parkerized finish (tough as nails) .

I used Leupold MARK 4 stuff mounts/rings/scope 3.5-10x40 MD with the drop dials. I like the scope well enough. I'd probably go with something else next time though. I may send the thing in to get worked on. It has 1 MOA elevation and .5 windage. I would like to get it changed to .25 MOA . As is, its not the greatest for dialing in small adjustments but its quick to adjust and well built! I am with out a doubt a Leupold fan. Customer service is a huge part of why I go back over and over.

firearms143.jpg

The Tactical is a great platform as is. Nothing is real fancy about it however. But it can be made to be. I get asked all the time why I haven't changed out the stock run of the mill REM barrel yet....

0320090006.jpg

It works is why! One day it will go, but not yet.

Edited by GunTroll