Do you remember when Handgun Permits were first passed?

I was not involved with guns much when Tennessee first passed legislation to issue Handgun Carry Permits. They were already being issued for six months before I heard about them. So I was not privy to the battle to get the legislation passed. How was it accomplished? Was it a hard fought battle? Did Naifeh have anything to do with it, either for or against? Anyone remember the details?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I remember it was old "Ned" that got it through before he left as Governor.

I could be wrong.

Got mine about a year after it passed I think. It was right after they

lifted the requirement that you had to be bonded, and could only carry the gun that

you qualified with.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I was a North Carolina resident back then. But I want to say that that's around the same time we were working on CCW permits there... course, i was 14 at the time, so I'm not exactly well-versed. :tinfoil:

You can thank Harold Stockburger for your right to carry in this State. I was there and remember all the time he spent on it. I also remember the media was making him look like a real idiot... but then there was an outcry from the people. This was an extremely popular bill. At first the Dems fought it, so did the Sheriffs Association... Hell even some of the radical NRA people fought it ...then all the sudden, they all flipped. The Sheriffs saw a controlling factor, and the Dems wanted to claim credit, and the extreme part of NRA decided tofollow the NRA norm.

In any event it all worked out... as I remember it was a hard road, but these past years getting other stuff thru has been just as hard. Tennesseans owe to lots of people for their carry permit privileges, but just remember one thing, it was a lowly and ridiculed Republican Rep. from Cleavland Tennessee that made it all happen.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
Guest 270win

Didn't TN have a period before 1994 where the sheriffs have a 'may issue' system set up for the handgun carry permits (if i recall from a gun rights website). People had to pay bond, qualify with what they carried, and possibly requalify annually or every other year? Then 1994 the law changed from 'may issue' to 'shall issue' forcing the sheriffs to issue, but still with the silly bonding requirement and range qualifying. It looks like 1996 the Dept of Safety, according to their website, took over the operation from the county sheriffs, again shall issue. Here is the link regarding may to shall issue: http://www.davekopel.com/2a/LawRev/ShallIssue.htm.

Glockmeister,

I did a Google search on Harold Stockburger and found this on:

http://www.legallyarmed.com/resources/tnqa.htm

Question:

I have been told that I do not have to conceal my handgun.

I think this is correct but I can't find anything in the law that says this.

Where can I find this law?

Robert - Dickson, Tennessee

Answer:

There is no law or section withing the Tennessee codes that addresses this issue.

It is mute on the subject. There is a reason for this.

When this law was initiated in 1994, it was administered by the Sheriff's.

Some Sheriffs liked the law & some did not like the law.

The cost for a permit could be $ 20.00 in one county and $ 200.00 in the next county.

A person had to go to the Sheriff in the county where he or she lived to apply for a handgun permit.

There were so many problems that the state Legislature decided enough was enough.

They placed the overseeing of this law with the TN Department of Safety.

D.O.S. did not want it but, there was nothing they could do about it.

When this change was made, Harold Stockburger, the representative from East Tennessee

who intruduced the law, was afraid that some of the Sheriff's could cause a problem

if the definition of 'concealment' was not exact. A Sheriff who did not like the law

could tell his Deputies to bring in any person who had a handgun permit and they

could say the pistol was not concealed properly. Then the permit holder had to fight

the word of the Sheriff in the Court. They had to spend money and time to do this.

Harold Stockburger said "Lets leave the mode of carry out of the law",

then no person can object to how a person carries his or her pistol.

There can be no opposition because there is no mandatory type of carry.

This is how it stands to this day. Thanks to a nice family man from East Tennessee.

Sounds like there ought to be a statue erected in Harold Stockburger's honor somewhere.

Anybody else remember the battle and the details?

Guest Grout

It was much better when the state took over the permit system.I only had to go back 3 times to be fingerprinted again.The last time I had my permit 2 years and got called back.

We still have a bit to go. Parks, restaurants (don't say bars) and IMHO a posted sign should not be a criminal act. Remember the State gave us the "legal" right to carry not the guy in the corner store.

The argument could be that anyone has the right to determine what goes on his or her property but the counter to that is, are they then responsible for actions against our right to self protection. Also, there are a number of other states where the "sign" holds no legal ground and the worst that can happen if you get made is a disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct charge or some other lesser crime.

These would put Tennessee high on the list of friendly carry states. Lets never give up trying.