Range Report on my .223 Saiga. (and a little good old fashioned racism)

Guest marican

Guest marican

Went out to Norris to enjoy a nice day of shooting last week. I had picked up the Saiga last week and was really excited to put some rounds down range as it is my first center fire rifle. Completely unmodified so far I'm hoping to convert it with a pistol grip and folding stock sometime this fall.

I had never been out to Norris before so we stopped by the police department to pay for our passes. I had brought to friends with me, one of which is around 1/4 black, during the process of filling out the forms the deputy behind the counter chuckled to himself as he announced out loud that my friends address was "Koon Lane". I wasn't sure if i had heard him correctly and didn't want to press the issue if i was incorrect, after paying our fees they handed us a permit and sure enough he filled it out with "Koon Lane" as the address. I found it ridiculous that a city police officer would be so ignorant.

The rest of the day went well, we spent 3 hours and several hundred rounds on both the rifle and pistol range getting things sighted in. It's a very nice facility and I was glad to find a safe, but casual atmosphere where I could become better acquainted with my rifle without the staring contest of other locations. Hopefully the weather will warm up again before the end of the season and I can test out some of my conversion parts.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...as he announced out loud that my friends address was "Koon Lane". I wasn't sure if i had heard him correctly and didn't want to press the issue if i was incorrect, after paying our fees they handed us a permit and sure enough he filled it out with "Koon Lane" as the address. ...

Not sure I get it. You mean he just made that address up? Had no relation to actual street name of the guy?

Or you're commenting on his using a K instead of a C, or just his comment or what?

There really is a Koon Lane in Knoxville is one reason I ask.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Not sure I get it. You mean he just made that address up? Had no relation to actual street name of the guy?

Or you're commenting on his using a K instead of a C, or just his comment or what?

- OS

I took it as koon being a derogatory reference to black people.

BTW,

(a little good old fashioned racism) ???

Since when is old fashioned racism (or new fashioned for that matter) ever good​?

- OS

Kind of what I am feeling here, I am confused.

If your friend's address really was Koon Lane, I don't get it.

I have been to Norris Police station a several times now to fill out the forms and for day passes for friends. I have always dealt with the blonde officer, he is a nice guy and does have a sense of humor.

So does your frined live on Koon Lane or not?

If he doesn't and the officer put it down I would contact the mayor, the media as well as anyone else who will listen. We do not need LE like that no matter how small or large the department is. With that kind of thinking it would be hard for the officer to be impartial when dealing with your friend.

Then your friend should contact an attorney to see what kind of compensation he should receive for his apparent emotional damage he suffered from it.

I absolutely hate it when officers do this. It sheds bad light on all of them.

Dolomite

I live on Steekee Road. Sometimes, when we tell people our address, they look askance and say (sounding genuinely confused), "You live on Stinky Road?" Sometimes folks will chuckle and say, "Hah, Stinky Road?!" Obviously that has nothing to do with race or anything else - it just strikes people as funny. So, is there a good, strong reason to believe that the officer's humor was related to a racial slur or did the name of the road simply strike him as amusing? I wasn't there so obviously I don't know.

Real racism is reprehensible. Looking for racism where maybe it doesn't exist is just as bad.

I live on Steekee Road. Sometimes, when we tell people our address, they look askance and say (sounding genuinely confused), "You live on Stinky Road?" Sometimes folks will chuckle and say, "Hah, Stinky Road?!" Obviously that has nothing to do with race or anything else - it just strikes people as funny. So, is there a good, strong reason to believe that the officer's humor was related to a racial slur or did the name of the road simply strike him as amusing? I wasn't there so obviously I don't know.

Real racism is reprehensible. Looking for racism where maybe it doesn't exist is just as bad.

I used to live off of Steekee Road many many moons ago.

Hey...we're neighbors!!!!

Guest trikerjay
Why even go to a range, why not just go out in the country some where?

tennesse is not like the west where 95% of land is state or fed land (i am from arizona). in tennessee most land is privately owned. so there is no "country" to shoot in unless you own it or know someone who does.

later jay

Guest Darthlaidher
tennesse is not like the west where 95% of land is state or fed land (i am from arizona). in tennessee most land is privately owned. so there is no "country" to shoot in unless you own it or know someone who does.

later jay

I guess but where I live there's no country at all its all city. I used to live in knoxville and the surrounding area and I know there's a lot of country out there. I'm not saying shoot in someones yard or property but there's a far amount of land out there that no one occupies. I used to live by some before I moved to CA.

Edited by Want2BeFree