Need a little help understanding the licenses

Guest FiddleDog

Guest FiddleDog

This will be my first deer season, and I'm a bit confused on the licenses. If I plan on muzzlehunting as well as gun hunting big game, will I need to obtain both a 10 and an 11 license additionally?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you also have to purchase a basic hunting/fishing license along with your big game gun and big game muzzlzloader tags.

Furthermore, if you wish to shoot a deer on a wildlife management area, or else shoot a doe with a rifle in a non quota hunt, you need a type 94 permit. It's darn near as confusing as filing your income taxes.

Always have the Sportsman's License option. What is that up to now $150. I bought it years ago when I hunted G/M/A, I haven't bought one of those in years. I think they were $100 last time I got one. As much as it pains me to buy the license that is just part of it and you will get days of enjoyment and some food out of it if you are lucky.

Guest FiddleDog

I will totally buy my kids the lifetime for $200. So...I'll need a 94 if I want to hunt WMAs. Now, when I look them up in the guide, and they say things like, "Dear - muzzleloader...Nov 5-6, 12", I'm assuming that means that the area is only open to deer hunter on those 3 days. Would that be accurate?

Guest GunTroll

Welcome to the state of confusion. Go hire a lawyer to take the legal ease & contradictions out of the regs and break it down for you on a common man language. When you get those answers come back and share with us all.

First you need to figure out which UNIT you are hunting in. A, B or L. If you are hunting near Nashville, it's likely unit L. The dates and bag limits may vary per unit, so make sure you are clear about which unit you are hunting in.

This link has the dates and limits per unit

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Deer Hunting Seasons

For example, Muzzleloader in unit L is open from Nov. 5 till Nov. 18th and there is a 3/anterless deer per day limit. The limit for bucks is 3 per year, statewide, but only 1 buck per day.

Welcome to the state of confusion. Go hire a lawyer to take the legal ease & contradictions out of the regs and break it down for you on a common man language. When you get those answers come back and share with us all.

Not naming names, but the laws are extra confusing if you have been sniffing Hoppe's #9 for too long.

Guest GunTroll
Not naming names, but the laws are extra confusing if you have been sniffing Hoppe's #9 for too long.

Oh go say some more "expert" opinions or something.