Magazine Pouch Systems ( Biased Review)

Nothing looks stupider than fumbling for mags in your pockets. Let's just say I've been looking hard and long for a magazine carry system for my AR-15 weapon system. Believe me, there are a LOT out there. However, I finally found a simple system that met my criteria.

Intended usage - Run n Gun. After doing some thinking, I found that three loaded AR-15 magazines to be my happy medium being extremely lightweight and mobile. Besides, if you can't solve a problem with 120 primary rounds you should probably go back to the basics.

Besides being lightweight I also wanted a pouch solution that had nothing to do with button snaps or velcro. Too many things to fail, snap, rip, or tear and most importantly, too damn noisy. At this point I was already looking at Kydex solutions. The biggest problem I found with these was that they ran around $30-$40 per magazine pouch. For three magazines, we're already talking about a $90-$120 magazine system. Secondly, these magazines are held in with tension screws and indexed only half of the magazine. I was looking for something that I could trust to HOLD onto my magazines if I had to take off into a full on sprint. Thirdly, THREE separate units are harder to manage than one. Kydex was ruled out.

Finally, on the verge of giving up I found my solution at a local gun show. Condor Tactical Gear molle triple open top magazine pouch system. I found that this thing has everything I could ever want.

Elastic Bands - Instead of button snaps or velcro, Condor has three adjustable elastic bands that have large tabs to grab onto. It's very easy to use. You simply use the slope of the magazine to slide the elastic band off the top of the magazine and then you can pull it up. You also have the option of removing the elastic bands altogether from the system to run it as a true open top system. You'd be surprised to find that the magazines stay perfectly seated even then as a good 5/6 of the magazine is seated "inside" of the pouch. You pretty much have to stand on your head for the magazines to fall out.

Magazine Compatibility - Any 30 rnd capacity AR-15 magazines will fit in these pouches (20 rounders will disappear into the pouch, lol). It's not loose but it's not tight either. I've been using P-mags and they all fit perfectly in EVERY orientation (facing in/out, right side up/upside down, and any combination thereof) REGARDLESS of whether or not you have the dust covers on.

I've even found that if you have the P-Mag facing rearward in the upside down position WITH dust cover on, that when the magazine is drawn, the dust cover latch will snag on the elastic band and detach from the magazine all on its own harmlessly falling back into the pouch (most of the time). And YES, even with the dust cover sitting at the bottom of the pouch, a magazine will still slide right back in AND easily secure with the elastic band. I might also mention utilizing this method/orientation promotes a nice and proper beer can magazine index for reloading.

Extra Secondary Pouches - The Condor magazine pouch system ALSO has three pistol/handgun pouches that are adjacent to the primary mags. They utilize VERY tight elastic sides that hold pistol magazines in by pressure AND have velcro covers. This brings me to my only CON of this system. WHY velcro? :popcorn: You would think that they would use the same system as the primary pouches. I suppose it's not so bad though. On the plus side, the velcro covers ARE removable but I'm too afraid of losing my glock mags.

IMAG01971.jpg

Conclusion - The price couldn't be beat for me. I picked it up for $30 at a local gun show and as you can see I mounted it on a belt that I picked up at the same time. I forget the brand of the belt but it's awesome as-well. It has two great pistol pouches which secure by clip. :) Overall very pleased with the build quality of the magazine pouch system. I'm good to go with 212 rounds. It's quite versatile I've found. I've been able to put all sorts of things in the primary weapons pouch. So far I've found that my Glock 19 and my large Fenix TK35 flashlight are secured quite well by the elastic band and I imagine a number of other things could be secured there should the need arise.

Thus concludes my biased review.

Edited by w0lfattack
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Velcro is too damn noisy

I've heard this many times and it has never made any sense. You have already run through one mag to need to go to your reload and you're worried about the noise the velcro is making?

Aside from that, if it works for you, run the hell out of it. You can probably run those mags without the bungee retention on them as deep as they sit.

Mike

Good review. Now how about a review of the suspenders that you will need to keep all that weight up?

It's really not that heavy at all. My police duty belt weighed about the same and all I ever used were belt keepers with an inner belt.

I've heard this many times and it has never made any sense. You have already run through one mag to need to go to your reload and you're worried about the noise the velcro is making?

Aside from that, if it works for you, run the hell out of it. You can probably run those mags without the bungee retention on them as deep as they sit.

Mike

Mike, that's a good point. I am by no means a professional, however I was taught to shoot and move. The threat may not know where you moved to. If you are concealed in a new position it is very possible to give yourself away if you're topping off your gun. Given time and opportunity, moving fresh magazines forward will especially be loud with velcro.

It is also a lot like the M1 Garand clip ejection system that got soldiers killed during World War II. It was so loud and distinct that Germans caught onto the fact that a reload was taking place. Similarly, if I hear you playing with velcro straps, I'm going to take advantage of it.

Anyway, the difference may be minimal to you but what does it hurt when elastic bands are just as easy and efficient to use as velcro or buttons?