Convenience Store Carry

A while back a friend of mine told me that anytime you go into a convenience store that sells beer and such you must un-conceal your weapon. Has anyone ever heard such a thing? He was originally from Va so I don't know if this was something from there or what but he swore up and down that you had to do this.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Virginia used to have law against concealed carry in places that sold booze for consumption, but open carry was okay. They called it the "Virginia Tuck" to expose your firearm on entry, as in, tuck your shirt behind gun to show it.

That's probably where his misinformed advice came from.

- OS

Virginia used to have law against concealed carry in places that sold booze for consumption, but open carry was okay. They called it the "Virginia Tuck" to expose your firearm on entry, as in, tuck your shirt behind gun to show it.

That's probably where his misinformed advice came from.

- OS

^^What he said^^

A while back a friend of mine told me that anytime you go into a convenience store that sells beer and such you must un-conceal your weapon. Has anyone ever heard such a thing? He was originally from Va so I don't know if this was something from there or what but he swore up and down that you had to do this.

Tell him , he's not in VA anymore.

Just one more reason I'm glad I live in TN.

Amen.

No longer the law in VA.

Also, unlike TN, as I understand it, signage in VA has no force of law -- it is not an immediate crime to carry past a sign in VA as it is in TN. So in that regard, VA carriers may say it's one more reason to be glad they don't live in TN.

That and the fact you can open carry in VA without a permit, so they have at least partial constitutional carry, something else we don't have here.

- OS

Probably off topic, but I've thought about the scenario of a totally open state with no or little restrictions on gun carrying. Though it is TOO much of a hassle in TN, I don't have a problem with some reasonable regulation, as I don't want some incompetent, mentally retarded, suicidal or felon carrying a firearm when I'm out somewhere with my family. Do I think I should have to pay $115 and $60 for a class? No, but after seeing some of the people in the class, I was glas they had to go through it. They did not instill confidence in me of my fellow man.

That Virginia law must be one of the stupidest gun laws I've ever heard of.

Well what happened is as has been said OC is legal without a permit in VA. There was no law against OCing in a place that served alcohol. When the passed the CC permit law, it included not being able to CC in places that served alcohol, but there still wasn't a law against OC. So for a while there was a "loophole" as sometimes happens when new laws are passed. But it has been taken care of now.

Well what happened is as has been said OC is legal without a permit in VA. There was no law against OCing in a place that served alcohol. When the passed the CC permit law, it included not being able to CC in places that served alcohol, but there still wasn't a law against OC. So for a while there was a "loophole" as sometimes happens when new laws are passed. But it has been taken care of now.

That is good to know. I am a former resident of that state while in college. Sounded like some silly law created from someone's "good intentions"

Probably off topic, but I've thought about the scenario of a totally open state with no or little restrictions on gun carrying. Though it is TOO much of a hassle in TN, I don't have a problem with some reasonable regulation, as I don't want some incompetent, mentally retarded, suicidal or felon carrying a firearm when I'm out somewhere with my family. Do I think I should have to pay $115 and $60 for a class? No, but after seeing some of the people in the class, I was glas they had to go through it. They did not instill confidence in me of my fellow man.

Without getting into who...I agree there are some that may not need to be able to carry in public. But I think the government should have to prove they are not worthy instead of us proving we are.

If it was truly a right, as it should be...then we should have it automatically...and only after the government has shown cause should they be able to take it away.

That Virginia law must be one of the stupidest gun laws I've ever heard of.

Jumping Jehoshaphat, it's not the law anymore!

Actually, it was never an exactly "written" law. It was just that licensed concealed carry was banned in bars, but that statute only mentioned the concealed part. It was really more of an unintended loophole.

And even if it were still the law, I don't think it compares to TN -- facing 11/29 and a hefty fine for having one sip of a drink in a restaurant while carrying, the same penalty for being dead drunk while carrying elsewhere.

Or a $500 fine and possible loss of permit for simply carrying past a sign.

Now, those are stupid laws.

- OS

edit: sorry for the echo, damn slow dialup still!

Edited by OhShoot

To the OP. Tell your friend that was VA law. In TN you have to walk on your tip toes and hold 1 hand on top of your head while in a convenience store that sells alcohol. Then take him to a convenience store and have fun. :D:biglol::rofl:

Without getting into who...I agree there are some that may not need to be able to carry in public. But I think the government should have to prove they are not worthy instead of us proving we are.

If it was truly a right, as it should be...then we should have it automatically...and only after the government has shown cause should they be able to take it away.

I'm starting a new thread on this idea in the Tennessee politics and legislation forum.