My Apt Complex says I can't have my gun in the apartment.

Guest WyattEarp

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have found a place by myself. Roomies, that I don't know, I don't like. THat's just me though.

Glad the situation is getting all cleared up and it sounds like the new place is good to go....and doesn't smell like wet lesbians...and short haired dogs......or did I get that backwards?

Guest WyattEarp
I would have found a place by myself. Roomies, that I don't know, I don't like. THat's just me though.

Glad the situation is getting all cleared up and it sounds like the new place is good to go....and doesn't smell like wet lesbians...and short haired dogs......or did I get that backwards?

well I'll take donations from members who want to chip in to help make that happen, otherwise, based on my income and being a full time student, that's just not a possibility at this point.

Over the years I've had a few good roommates and some that weren't. Good luck!

Good luck on your new place, I was thinking about moving a while back and I think I may have been to that same 90 year old smelly house you were talking about...I passed as well. Moving does suck but at least it shouldn't be to terribly cold out, last time I moved it was snowing and I got a horrible cold. Hope this new place treats you well!

Guest WyattEarp

4 car loads, 1 truck and 5 hours later, all moved out of the old, and moved into the new :) Gotta go turn my keys in tomorrow and my pool pass, and it's done!

Guest mcgyver210
4 car loads, 1 truck and 5 hours later, all moved out of the old, and moved into the new :) Gotta go turn my keys in tomorrow and my pool pass, and it's done!

Did you make sure New place allows Pet Guns?

Hopefully New place is nicer making all the trouble worth while?

Guest WyattEarp
Did you make sure New place allows Pet Guns?

Hopefully New place is nicer making all the trouble worth while?

there will be no discussion of the gun period, at any point. it's incognito. if im at school, its in the safe. anywhere else, its with me, and out of sight and not visible.

2 hours into the new place, and its quiet as a church mouse here. all I hear is the soft hum of the refrigerator cycling which is music to my ears. too early to tell if it's worth it, but if the rest of the time it's like the past 2 hours, I think it's a #winning situation.

Guest WyattEarp

the dump in question was University Gables Apartments. It's a trashy place, with trashy people, where illegal drug use runs rampant, underage drinking takes place and nothing is done to enforce the rules or prohibit any of it, the apt complex claims they don't allow any of it, and that's it is grounds for dismissal from the property based on violation of the lease, but when it's brought to their attention, a blind eye gets turned. Basically unless it becomes a major problem or you bring them pictures and video evidence, they don't want to deal with it and they don't care.

Their brochure depicts a quiet, peaceful community where these "activities" allegedly don't take place and aren't tolerated, but that's a crock of goose poop.

University Gables - Mobile Version

Live like you mean it at University Gables, the best in Murfreesboro student living! At University Gables you will have the privacy and lifestyle you deserve in an off campus student community that is built specifically with you, the college student, in mind.

Take advantage of our convenient location and unmatched amenities—everything you want and need in one place makes University Gables the best in college apartments! University Gables is located within close proximity to Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, TN. You will also enjoy our amenities including a private shuttle to campus, fitness center, computer center, free tanning rooms, resort-style pool with a private sun deck, and much more.

University Gables also offers furnished and unfurnished student apartments in a variety of floor plans to choose from, individual liability leases, and cable and internet are included.

Our professional on-site staff is dedicated to serving your needs and arranging both social and educational activities to help you meet other residents and enjoy your college experience. There is no reason to look elsewhere, apply today and reserve your space at Murfreesboro’s most exclusive student housing community!

University Gables is an American Campus community. American Campus Communities is the nation's premier owner and manager of luxurious, academically-oriented student housing.

privacy? there is no privacy with 4 people occupying a unit. that's laughable.

the internet? provided by a company called Pavlov Media, it rarely if ever worked. It was supposed to be high speed at 50 mbps or faster, but the internet on my Verizon phone tethered to my computer was faster and more reliable than their "network". Half the time I couldn't even get a page to load or I'd wait well over 60 seconds, what a joke. I've seen low speed dsl that's faster and more efficient than their networks, and more dependable.

academically-oriented?......:rolleyes::lol::)

The place is a dump, it's a breeding ground for crime, underage drinking, fornication, and illegal drug use and distribution. the "college students" that live there, just throw their trash on the ground outside the unit's and in the parking lot (there's broken beer bottles every weekend, food wrappers, empty beer boxes, and god knows what else thrown everywhere. I've never once done an illegal drug in my life, and I saw more of it being done and sold and passed around in my 2 1/2 months there than I have in my entire life.

A few of them actually keep the unit's clean and orderly so as not to attract bugs, my roommates were complete SLOBS. the bathroom was nasty, I cleaned it military style the 2nd week we were there (swept and mopped the bathroom floor, wiped the toilet down on the outside, scrubbed the bowl with cleaner and a toilet bowl brush, cleaned the rim, top and bottom side of the toilet lid, and the top back piece that covers up the internals, cleaned the mirror, and sprayed down the vanity and wiped it up and dried it off.

The next week it was supposed to be the other's guy turn, well he didn't get to it until about 2 weeks ago (5 weeks went by since it had last been cleaned!) and so I had to jump his case about it, and it was DISGUSTING. In retaliation he went and tattled about my gun. He denied it said it wasn't him, but I knew better, so I waited till he and his friends were smoking hookah in the apartment (legal, but smoking was not allowed in our unit), and I just got pics and videos of them doing it and showed the apt complex. he got fined $25 and he was pretty pissed.

I told him he pretty much picked the wrong person to **** with and if he wanted to go tit for tat, I'd gladly oblige him, because the gun was the only thing he had on me, everything else I was doing according to the rules and lease agreement. He said I was bluffing and didn't have anything else to get him for (really? ok.) so I then got pics of the bathroom and made a copy of the section of my lease that said the apartment will be kept clean so as not to attract bugs, pests, etc, highlighted the section, turned it and the pics over to the apt complex, and the roommate that shared my bathroom got a warning notice for that.

He finally cleaned it at that point, well, a half-assed lazy effort anyhow, all he did was wipe down the toilet rim and lld and said it was done. Didn't sweep and mop the floor, didn't clean the vanity with a disinfectant cleaner, didn't wipe down the shower, or clean the mirror, didn't scrub the bowl of the toilet (you don't even wanna imagine what that looked like, or the things growing out of that!) There was urine that had dried on both sides of the toilet where either he or one of his buddies in their state of drunkeness missed, and im sure it was all over the floor too.

After that warning letter, he challenged me again, saying what are you gonna get me for now? There's nothing else you can get me for, so mind your own business and leave me alone. Wrong move jackass. He left his bedroom door open one day, I went in got a picture of a switchblade knife lying on his nightstand (no weapons allowed on the premises, includes guns and knives, brass knuckles, chains with ball spikes on the end of it, etc), reported that and showed the pic, the Apt Complex Manager came down with the On Site Residential Resource Officer (cop that lives on premises and handles illegal activities, lease violations, etc), and they confiscated it (said he could have it back when his lease expired), and fined him $25.

I got pics of the kitchen with food crumbs all over the counters, ants crawling everywhere, dirty pots and pans and dishes piled up in the sink, empty bottles of liquor displayed on top of the fridge (i don't drink liquor, only bud light, and Long Island Ice Tea's at applebee's). Fined again for $50 this time, and given a final written warning, next time would be eviction for continually violating the lease agreement.

After the 3rd fine and final warning, he comes crying to me saying he can't afford to get kicked out and has nowhere to go if he does and wanting to know why I was out to get him, and I just told him, I'm not out to get you, or do you wrong, but if you wanna play stupid games with me, I can promise it'll win you stupid prizes for playing. If you do your part, and that means quit living like a PIG, and clean what needs to be cleaned accordingly we will get along just fine, and I'll leave you be. If you don't want to do that and you want to keep trying to puff your chest out at me and calling me out that I can't find something else to report, you're very wrong. Because I've been around enough Drill Sergeants during my time in the military, I know how to play the mind **** game, and you will lose junior. I will only make things as difficult for you, as you want to make them for me. If you want to help out, do your part, then we'll get along just fine and I won't have a negative thing to say about anything, I won't have anything to report you on and none of this will need to take place from here on out. But if you want to continue to play these stupid games of trying to assert yourself as the alpha male, and test my resolve that's a game you will lose because age and treachery will always overcome youth and stupidity, and I told him just like that, lol.

Apparently that got his attention, because from that day on till yesterday when I moved out, he toed the line, actually cleaned the bathroom, and started picking up after himself in the kitchen and not leaving food out all night, and started wiping his counters and the stove top off when he was done.

Shame it has to come to all the above to get someone to just be responsible for themselves and help out and do their part, but piggery is not something I'm willing to tolerate in any form. I was fine with them having their parties until 2 or 3 am with the radio blasting, or having their girlfriends over and going at it in the bedroom all night, ear plugs are cheap and effective. You wanna live like a pig, I'll build you a little pen outside next to the backporch, and put in a pig trough and you can go live outside like an animal, and be as trashy and nasty as you want, cause I'm not putting up with it.

I'm not a clean freak, but I straighten things up when they get messy, and I clean up after myself when I'm done cooking, I either hand wash my dishes, pots and pans or I rinse them out, scrub the food off, and stick them in the dishwasher, and the I wipe down the counters so the bugs won't come around and guests who come over won't think I live like a pig. My place is orderly and presentable to guests, invited or unexpected at any given time, because I take pride in what I have and the place I live.

I'm not sure why the idiots that run that ****hole would put a 31 year old with 3, 20 year olds to begin with, but I blame myself for not thinking things through before I chose to live there, and if could work a job to afford my own place while going to school full time, I'd do it, but I can't at this point. Supposedly there was a personality profile, which I did fill out, that was supposed to match you up to the best fit, and that's a joke. Valuable lesson learned though.

Some of this was previously left out until I could get out of there and my legal obligation to that place was severed. Now I'm gone, and no one from that complex knows my new address, I don't care what i say about them or the Apt Complex because there's nothing they can do about it. I feel sorry for the new guy that's moving in there, got to meet him and he's about the most squared away 18 year old I've ever met. He has three jobs, graduated high school early, and is starting MTSU next semester. He's super excited about his first place, and I kinda feel bad I had to sell him on the roommates as being orderly, clean and what not, even when I know they aren't but that's his issue to deal with now, the problem is no longer mine.

So you agreed to that and then violated your agreement. What are you trying to accomplish now, get the apartments posted? They didn’t want you arrested or prosecuted, they just didn’t want you open carrying; they even put it in writing for you.

There may be some people living in those apartments that are more discreet than you. You want them charged if they are discovered?

Help me understand how any of what you are doing can be good for gun owners.

So you agreed to that and then violated your agreement. What are you trying to accomplish now, get the apartments posted? They didn’t want you arrested or prosecuted, they just didn’t want you open carrying; they even put it in writing for you.

There may be some people living in those apartments that are more discreet than you. You want them charged if they are discovered?

It is my understanding that he didn't OC, but that in the privacy of his own residence a roommate saw his weapon when it was inadvertently exposed.

He has admitted that the lease said no firearms, but that he was given a verbal waiver. But when push came to shove, the verbal waiver was not honored.

Any who are in possession of weapons on the property are already in violation of the same lease agreement, discreet or not.

I think one complaint also was that there are many violations by several tenants of the lease, but it seems they are only selectively enforced and he was just expressing it.

In his other post his is simply telling anyone that may want to rent there, that the lease agreement doesn't allow firearms, so if they want to have them, perhaps they should look elsewhere. But that it is not "illegal".

Guest WyattEarp

No, it was never about carrying, this entire issue had nothing to do with carrying. It was about "possessing a firearm on the premises". As I stated when this all began, I was told by the guy I signed my lease with at the time, that since I had my permit and I was 31, it wouldn't be an issue, BUT because I didn't get it in writing, when it came up, he conveniently forgot he told me that and denied it, so technically yes, I violated the lease.

I'm informing potential renters, so someone who is a firearms owner will know that their policy is no firearms are allowed there, and they can look elsewhere.

Your post is a bit confusing, you're putting me on the spot for posting this "agreeing to the lease and then violating it", while saying there may be others who are carrying discreetly, but do I want them charged and prosecuted?", that sounds like a bit of a double standard because it sounds like you're saying "I did wrong, but I should shut my mouth so everyone else who is doing wrong, won't get in trouble too."

The apt complex isn't posted, and in the event they do post, they would have to give notice to all of the residents uniformly in writing and give them an amnesty period in which to remove the weapon from the premises. If they don't notify all of the tenants uniformly, and they post, I'm pretty sure that would be entrapment, or something along those lines.

Those who are there with weapons are doing so as knowingly as I did (regardless of what the manager said to me before I signed my lease), and they know the consequences, which if the complex isn't posted, there's not much the complex can do, because it's not punishable by prosecution.

Besides, most of them are 18-20 year olds, it's doubtful there's more than a couple dozen tenants that possess a firearm, or even have a permit to carry.

it's pretty much a college community apartment complex, your average person who works a job isn't going to apply there to live.

So how would posting what I did have any affect all gun owners outside of that complex?

Guest WyattEarp

It's exactly the same thing as when people post up on here about any other businesses or restaurants that are posted. It's no different really, the only difference is, the apt complex put their posting in the lease and not at the entrance to the community.

Should I not post up about businesses or restaurants because someone disregards the posting near the door and goes in armed anyways?

That's on them. That's their deal, that has nothing to do with me, nor does posting about University Gables or the tenants who might be possessing discreetly, have anything to do with me. They can read their leases as well as I can. :)

Your post is a bit confusing, you're putting me on the spot for posting this "agreeing to the lease and then violating it", while saying there may be others who are carrying discreetly, but do I want them charged and prosecuted?", that sounds like a bit of a double standard because it sounds like you're saying "I did wrong, but I should shut my mouth so everyone else who is doing wrong, won't get in trouble too."

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

Right now they are simply violating a provision of the lease, if it is brought to the attention of the property managers. However, you making a public statement about it may cause the property managers to post.

The apt complex isn't posted, and in the event they do post, they would have to give notice to all of the residents uniformly in writing and give them an amnesty period in which to remove the weapon from the premises. If they don't notify all of the tenants uniformly, and they post, I'm pretty sure that would be entrapment, or something along those lines.

They don’t have to give anyone notice, they already did that.....in writing and the people signed it.

Entrapment is when the Police entice someone to commit a crime they would not have otherwise committed; it doesn’t apply here.

So how would posting what I did have any affect all gun owners outside of that complex?

It won’t hurt anyone outside the complex and it won’t hurt the apartment owners. It may cause some problems for gun owners in the apartment if it gets posted.

I guess I just don't get it.

Guest WyattEarp

guess we'll have to agree to disagree Dave.

but if they do post it up, they will notify the entire complex because they started a new policy with their shuttle service to and from campus. People would come up to the bus stop and crowd their way in front of people who had already been waiting patiently for a ride on the shuttle to campus, and get on the bus, leaving those who had already been waiting to wait for another shuttle.

they sent out a notice to everyone, stating what the new policy is. so if they post, I'm sure (based on what I've seen when they make changes to policy) that they'll give fair notice to everyone there.

People would come up to the bus stop and crowd their way in front of people who had already been waiting patiently for a ride on the shuttle to campus, and get on the bus, leaving those who had already been waiting to wait for another shuttle..

Good to hear all those self-esteem programs have worked.