First pistol purchase

Mdunntn

Ruger lcp NRA edition. Picked it up at precision firearms in seymour for $315. This little thing definitely has a certain kick to it. I've shot about 50 rounds through it today no ftfs and am starting to get use to it.

I'm looking at getting some +1 floor plates crimson trace laser, and uncle Mike's (I think that's the name) back pocket holster. Need to hurry up and get my carry permit.

Let me know what you guys think, or if there are any "must have" accessories I need to look into. 308755_276421942390772_100000689047268_907908_850576716_n.jpg

Edited by Mdunntn
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't be my recommendation as a first handgun but if you master it at 15 yards and in nearly any other pistol will be "easy." The only accessories you need are cleaning equipment and ammo, lots of ammo.

Well I'll reiterate my first pistol bigger then a .22, purchased this strictly for conceal carry.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Great! At last, someone who has taken the time shoot a lot of .22 before going centerfire. I preach this but few listen. I would also recommend you get a decent 9mm as 9mm is the cheapest ammo you can buy retail next to .22LR. Don't go too small in 9mm and watch the triggers in many 9mm handguns. Back to the LCP: learn to shoot it fast at 15-21' one-handed weak hand and strong hand. The little guns are sometimes easier to shoot one-handed when you need it fast and if you need it fast you probably need it one-handed.

Let me know what you guys think, or if there are any "must have" accessories I need to look into.

I like it! I've got the LCP and have tried several different "must haves" including the Crimson Trace... and have removed all of them. The gun is fine the way it is for what it is made for. Good luck on your holster search. I'm still battling that one out too. Gonna pick up the smallest Uncle Mikes tommorrow because my cheesy, cheapo inside the pocket holster wore out pretty quick.

Maybe it's because I'm accustomed to shooting magnums, but I don't find the LCP at all uncomfortable to shoot. I also was surprised how easy it is to hit with mine; considering it is such a small gun.

As for the accessories, just buy a lot of ammo and get used to it.

You will not regret the LCP as a first buy. My "little friend" is the pistol that goes with me everywhere. Either as a back up gun or a primary carry. Just don't drop it in the woods, you'll never find it.

Its a heck of a little gun. As of right now I've been looking at a couple different floor plate extensions and slip on grip mods. Where I've been hunting at they has got quite a few coyotes so ill be a little bit more comfortable knowing I have more then a crossbow.

I plan on picking up one in the next week or two. I shot one at shooters depot over the weekend and liked it a lot, although I'm pretty sure they had some sort of lower powered range load in it because it wasn't snappy at all like I expected it to be.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I plan on picking up one in the next week or two. I shot one at shooters depot over the weekend and liked it a lot, although I'm pretty sure they had some sort of lower powered range load in it because it wasn't snappy at all like I expected it to be.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I bought some speer lawmen 95 grain fmj. After shooting a couple mags between my thumb and index finger starts burning.

The LCP is a great CCW. It is small enough that you will carry it when normally you would carry nothing else. I like the Crimson Trace laser but as far as the +1 floorplate goes. No Thanks! Nothing but potential magazine problems. It is a reliable weapon as is. I would keep it that way.

I would not fool with the crimson trace or other gizmos yet. Spend that money on ammo and learn to point-shoot it at defense ranges. A laser sight is powerful in the hands of a skilled shooter, but it is a distraction and frustration for new shooters who get them thinking they will make shooting easier. They do not, they make it harder at first: the laser is distracting and extremely difficult to hold steady, esp on such a small gun, and esp on that trigger design. I think you will find it much easier to move to a laser after you have mastered the pistol, rather than starting out with it on there, and that way if the battery is dead when you get attacked, you are not crippled by loss of this tool. I use a remorra pocket holster, I like the way it sticks to the pocket so you don't pull the holster out with the gun. For these small guns, a second magazine is important to carry with it so you may want to look into a holster that can store a spare mag -- mine does not and I wish it did.