I bet this guy think twice

Jacksboro man’s packin’ prevents robbery

A Jacksboro man was packing heat, and it pays off. Campbell County Sheriff’s Deputies tell WLAF-TV 12 that when Jerry Cox caught a man red-handed stealing from his barn, he pulled a gun. That’s when 29-year old Dustin Henegar of Caryville stopped in his tracks near the barn on Chambers Road in Jacksboro. Henegar stayed put as Cox held a gun on him until deputies arrived. Henegar is charged with theft of property and trespassing. (updated 1:30 p.m. 10/20/2011)

1450 WLAF La Follette, Tennessee

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WestonGray

First off, I'm totally for the guy drawing down on the thief, but my understanding has always been that you don't draw unless your feel that your life is threatened, and if you feel like your life is threatened, then wouldn't you fire? Like I said, I'm not trying to say the guy was wrong in his actions, but I was just curious what others thought.

First off, I'm totally for the guy drawing down on the thief, but my understanding has always been that you don't draw unless your feel that your life is threatened, and if you feel like your life is threatened, then wouldn't you fire? Like I said, I'm not trying to say the guy was wrong in his actions, but I was just curious what others thought.

It's a gray area. By law, you are allow to use force to protect your property, just not deadly force. Hence what they tell you in the HCP class about not drawing on someone stealing your mower. They also say you shouldn't draw unless you intend to shoot. Since you can't legally shoot this person, don't draw. Get it?

However, in practice it seems that using your firearm to deter/detain a thief won't get you into much trouble. I'm quite sure that actually shooting them wouldn't go well for you. Further reading... http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/64106-can-detain-someone-act-committing-crime.html

Unholster to deter/detain is one thing.

If you feel the need to actually fire. It better be because your life is at stake, and you simply aren't popping off warning shots.

Life not at stake or firing warning shots will get you in a heap of sh*t rather quickly!

Police draw their weapons all the time and don't shoot people. Believe it or not, they're bound by the same laws as we are. If they draw a pistol on someone who is jaywalking they can be charged with a crime... not likely but it can happen. If you call the police and tell them there is an intruder in your shed chances are they are going to approach the situation with weapons drawn. Why shouldn't I? It's my damn property. On my property I'm drawing a weapon on anyone who is there illegally. Whether or not I shoot them is up to them.

Edited by TMF 18B
Guest m500 lover

Jacksboro mans packin prevents robbery

A Jacksboro man was packing heat, and it pays off. Campbell County Sheriffs Deputies tell WLAF-TV 12 that when Jerry Cox caught a man red-handed stealing from his barn, he pulled a gun. Thats when 29-year old Dustin Henegar of Caryville stopped in his tracks near the barn on Chambers Road in Jacksboro. Henegar stayed put as Cox held a gun on him until deputies arrived. Henegar is charged with theft of property and trespassing. (updated 1:30 p.m. 10/20/2011)

1450 WLAF La Follette, Tennessee

Holy crap thats the first.i just heard.about that and he is my moms step brother in law. Married to her step sister.

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

"I feared for my life while protecting my property officer", "I didn't know if he had a gun or not, but it sure looked like it did". We were told (I come up short of using the word taught) that you could use your weapon to protect your property, but once the badguy took off running, you couldn't shoot since he was fleeing, hence no longer a threat.

Guest m500 lover

What happened is Jerry and his wife were going to meet their daughter. As they were coming down their drive way they noticed a ford van and they could see the seats in the back were removed. Jerry noticed alot of stuff he had in the barn was in the vehicle when he approached the driver on the driver's side of the van after having boxed him in. Jerry ordered the man to halt. At that point the man threw the van in gear and made like he was going to run jerry over. At which time Jerry pulled a pistol and stuck it in the guys face through the window and held him until the cops got there. The suspect is a known meth head around town by the police and they suspect he had stolen all that stuff to trade for meth.

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Edited by m500 lover
Guest peacexxl

Besides, if I catch someone coming out of my shed and they are not authorized to be there, it also means that they have had access to machetes, shovels, and many other large, sharp, and potentially deadly weapons. Who knows what they are coming out of there with?