Smyrna Jewelry store clerk shotguns passenger side of robbers getaway car

QuietDan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a friend of mine. Knows he shouldn't have done it... he even went through MY HCP class and I KNOW I covered the subject :-)but it doesn't seem like there is going to be any charges filed. Even the LEOs on scene said they would have done the same thing.

The safety on the 12 gauge is the only thing that stopped him from splatterring the SOBs head all over the intersection.

The guy left him zip tied in his office. He was able to break out and get the 12 gauge. The thing that has him more ticked off is the fact he HAD his 380 on him but he couldn't get to it. BG made him keep his hands over his head the entire time

Looks like your friend may be getting charges filed against him by the DA for shooting at these jokers after the threat was over:

My brother was robbed at gunpoint. Reddit, can you help please? : AskReddit

Looks like they're not pursuing charges at this point.

Something similar happened to an Uncle of mine back in the '90s. Long story short, he shot a man 3 times in the stomach and groin in a self defense shooting. The individual survived (with some much deserved permanent health issues). The police investigated and found no wrongdoing. Shortly afterward the DA starts pursuing charges for unlawful discharge of a firearm or something of the like. No charges were pending in regards to actually shooting the individual. This went on for almost a year until the DA decided it wasn't worth it because my Uncle wasn't going to plead out. It disgusts me that in situations such as this there isn't some degree of leniency due to the circumstances. Sure, the store owner wasn't justified in the shooting, but he had just been tied up and robbed. If the store owner found himself in front of a jury he probably would have been fine. These pro-crime DAs are just looking for a quick plead out.

Looks like your friend may be getting charges filed against him by the DA for shooting at these jokers after the threat was over:

My brother was robbed at gunpoint. Reddit, can you help please? : AskReddit

The detective in charge said no charges would be filed. If they did...he knows what he did wasnt right so hed lawyer up like a mofo...but they didnt even take the shotty.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It is sad that a DA can come in after the police and charge people. Seems to me if the police say a person isn't worthy of being charged then that should be good enough.

Problem is DA's want to look like they are tough on crime but few really are. They want to be able to say they had X amount of cases come in front of them and they had X% of those were convictions. Rarely do they say that the majority of the pleas are often to much lesser, and often very enticing, charges. To the DA a guilty plea for a much reduced sentence is better than the chance of his % being ruined by a not guilty ruling. The DA's say it is to save taxpayers money, and it does, but in most cases it is the DA who is looking for benefits of the plea.

Even if a person were not guilty of a crime they were accused most would probably plea if they were offered a sentence that involved no jail time in order to avoid the chance of a jury convicting them and sending them to jail. Most DA's know this so they will charge anybody and everybody they can in hopes of putting another feather in their hat with another conviction. But when it becomes apparent the person will not plea the DA will drop the charges so it doesn't affect their percentages. This is what probably happened to TMF 18B's uncle.

Something else I would be a supporter of is this. Whenever a crime is initiated those who initiated it should also be responsible for any and all violations of the law during that crime even if not done by them personally. In this case the robber would be responsible for all his crimes as well as be charged with the shooting of his vehicle by the clerk. After all, were it not for the robber's actions the clerk wouldn't have shot his firearm at the suspect's vehicle.

I would also like to see the use of deadly force authorized in the defense of property if the amount stolen would constitute a felony conviction or would cause serious financial hardship to the victim. Like stealing someone's tools or equipment they use to support their family.

Don't want to get shot? Then don't break the law. Millions of people stay out of trouble everyday so it isn't that hard.

Dolomite

True David...i told him it might not be over yet when i last spoke with him. Im hoping for his sake nothing comes of it. Hes more worried about the SOB coming back for more.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk