New to me handgun acquisitions

graycrait

I got lucky and got an older beater S&W 49 that someone had spray painted with aerosol spray paint, dropped it on pavement at least once but didn't booger up the action or the innards. I feel a colorful Cerakote project coming up.

Also acquired by trading my Glock 36 a S&W 9mm M&PL (5" barrel). I tried to like the S&W M&P 9mm in the past but the action is just a tad more fiddley than the Glocks and there was a troublesome feeling between the grip and the big joint where my thumb joins my hand. I like the S&W M&P's low bore axis for index finger-like point shooting. I got the Foredom rotary tool out and changed the grip of this M&P and got the grip so ugly looking I got my 10.00 woodburning pen out and stippled the modified grip insert and the front strap of the M&P. The M&P trigger isn't bad but I am feeling an Apex M&P trigger kit coming on - 'cause I can't leave a gun factory stock. Sub 3lb Drop In Kits for the S&W M&P « Will Work For Ammo – Apex Tactical Specialties

SW49.jpg

SWMP9Lwharringtontouch.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

From following your "new to me" posts, you must have 4 safes chock full of handguns!

My buddy has a pair of .45 M&Ps with the Apex triggers, he can't say enough good things about the improved action.

I have always like the "camel hump" S&Ws.

Love your custom work, keep those pics coming.

As to colors of the S&W 49: since bluing doesn't make any sense I thought about doing something similar to what the snub I have been told about that was featured in the American Handgunner (which I inadverdantly deleted), tan and black. As for the M&P 9L I am going to test it out tomorrow, install the Apex kit when I get it. I ain't painting the M&P 9L. I can't or won't Cerakote any guns until my friend who does Cerakoting gets back from Afghanistan. As to a safe full of guns, I trade mostly, which keeps the number downs. For instance I got the M&P 9L for a G36 I had. Hard to say what I would do with the M&P 9L if someone offered up a G34, but then I have had 2 G34s before and have a 17L. I need to see how the M&P 9L runs with the Apex kit versus the Fulcrum kit I will install in my 17L.