My ultimate deer rifle...Show me yours!!!

gregintenn

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

I stumbled upon this at a gun show in Cave City Kentucky one Sunday afternoon quite a few years ago, new in the box. The dealer didn't want to pack it back up, and asked me to make an offer. I instinctively lowballed him, and much to my surprise, he accepted my offer. I asked if he had any more at that price, and he said "No."

This is a Winchester Model 70 Classic in 280 Remington. It has a Leupold Varix 3 2.5x8 mounted in Burris mounts and rings. As you can see, it shoots well for a light rifle. I've never floated the barrel or glass bedded the action. I lightened the trigger pull, and except for that and the sling swivel studs, it is like it came from the New Haven factory.

I've found that it really likes 51 grains of IMR 4350 and a 140 grain Sierra BTSP bullet in a Remington case and CCI large rifle primer, with the bullet seated to a somewhat short 3.25" OAL. 3/4" 100 yard groups like you see in the picture are the norm. I feel that's pretty good in a 20 MPH crosswind like I shot this in today.

This rifle has taken tons of deer and coyotes. I have several rifles, and will carry any one of them for a jaunt in the woods, depending on the whim of the moment. If I am seriously hunting big game, however, this is my go to rifle. I've had many through the years, but I've yet to improve upon this particular rifle. It think I can say it is my favorite. I'd like to see yours.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'fraid I can't narrow it down to just one, but these 2 I will never part with.

First is my Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54

Shoots a patched round ball into 3" groups out to 100yds. At 50yds, I can print a one-hole group, offhand. It just balances so perfectly for offhand shooting....

stuff003.jpg

Next up is my professionally bubba'd Long Branch Lee Enfield. I had the barrel lapped, shortened to 19¾" & recrowned by Hero Gear. They also headspaced it for the Prvi Partisan 150gn ammunition it seems to love. The scope is a cheapy Barska 4-12x42 that has held zero for the last 2 years. It shoots way better than I can at 300yds.....

stuff004.jpg

Guest GunTroll
i have a 280 ai made by kenny jarret in sc it is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned.it is one of his early one built on a remington 700 action with no letter prefix action was made in 64.

A pre beanfield? ;)