Today I went to the range and tested the following pistols:

Taurus PT 22 with wood grips older version

Taurus PT22 with rubber grips newer version

Glock 36

Glock 19

Glock 26

Glock 19 with AA .22LR conversion

Glock 17 with AA .22LR conversion

I also shot a friends new Ruger SP101 4" .22LR (long and heavy DA trigger pull and SA left much to be desired.) I will pass this one by.

Older Taurus: Shot perfect with Aguilla 60 grain subsonics shooting 4 or 5 mags worth, different mags. I was shocked and pleased. Upon receiving the pair of Taurus PT 22s I had soaked them for a couple of days in tranny fluid and then cleaned them well. I also used my Dremel and Craytex bits to polish the chamber and ramps. I was shooting one-handed with both Taurus at 21feet just to see if they would cycle the Aguilla assassin bullets.

Newer Taurus. It would shoot and cycle 60 grain SSSs until the 2nd to last round and then jam the nose of the round into the top of the chamber. I may try and address that with some Craytex but not sure if it is worth the effort. It happened with multiple magazines so it wasn't the spring or follower. (I have 5 or 6 mags for these Taurus PT22s). HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The newer and older PT 22s ate with aplomb CCI Velocitors (40 grain at 1450FPS).

All in all I was really pleased with the the Taurus PT 22s. I think *+1 60 Grain Aguilla Subsonics may be what the doctor ordered for a small Save Your Ass pistol that requires no slide racking and can be uploaded in seconds with an additional magazine.I shot all Velocitors and Aguilla 60 grain SSS into a fist sized group at 15 feet at speed one handed with no real concentration for accuracy.

BIG NEWS!!!!! Both my dedicated Advantage Arms" .22LR Glock 19 and 17 ate with no bobbles with different mags (I have 4 mags each gun) Aguilla 60 grain SSS. I could keep the rounds into a dime at 15 feet one handed slow fire. The issue with using Glocks is their light weight with the AA conversion. I added 3oz to each with Taylor Freelance Seattle Brass Slugs in the grip void but they are still light. Also shooting one handed the trigger could be better in such a lightweight .22LR. Good enough for soda cans at 25 yrds but not good enough to shoot serious groups with these 4lb "combat" triggers. I was both surprised and quite pleased that both AA conversions could digest and spit out with reasonable save your ass accuracy arguably the best .22LR self defense bullet on the market today: 60 grain Aguilla Subsonic. http://www.brassfetcher.com/Comparative%20Analysis%20of%20the%20Terminal%20Effectiveness%20of%20the%2022LR%20and%2025ACP%20handgun%2012APR11.pdf

Lastly. Glock G36 with Federal SV 230 grain JSP. I want to like the .45 ACP for Self Defense badly, but alas I personally can't. I have had 11 or 12 other .45 ACPs. My very nice "customized" G36 is 100% reliable and is good enough if you want to blow someone away at 30 feet but I don't like shooting it - leastways not when compared to my Glock 9mms. The G36 is not brutal, but like my 11.5oz Diamondback DB9, it ain't fun. I'll keep the DB9mm because it is so small and Glock-like, the G36 has to go.

Bottom line on the G36: I will trade this gun in a NY minute for a Glock 9mm hopefully with 4 mags, any functional Glock 9mm or something(s) in .22LR or agreeable amounts/type of 9mm, .22LR or .223 55-62 grain ammo.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=5f85f16e91&view=att&th=1330a6220f756639&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gttb57uh0&zw

Craig

craig

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

Where did you purchase the Aguilla ammo and what was the cost? I am curious how it will cycle through my wife's P22.

Thx

AJ

BTW, swapping out the main / trigger return spring and polishing the internals of the SP along with a lot of dry firing will smooth out the trigger action.

Craig,

Where did you purchase the Aguilla ammo and what was the cost? I am curious how it will cycle through my wife's P22.

Thx

AJ

BTW, swapping out the main / trigger return spring and polishing the internals of the SP along with a lot of dry firing will smooth out the trigger action.

it cycles just fine through my P22

Graycait, all I have are a couple of .25's and an erma, otherwise I would be all over that 36.

I apprectiate the range report, iam interested in tring subsonics now. but be careful. This looks like a classified ad, without a benefactor status. I know there are other forums that allow it, but this how they decide to help support this forum.

Alpha, Not to worry, I traded the G36 to a friend for his S&W M&P 9L. Now I don't need a G34 (again):popcorn:. I could swear I pay a fee to the forum, can't remember that last time I paid but I still can get on the classifieds so I must be paid up. OOPS, just checked and I hadn't paid up lately - corrected that!

Edited by graycrait